NittanyNation: Week in review
July, 22, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at the past week's Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Four-star DT Ricky Walker narrowed his list to five, but he acknowledged two schools are at the top right now .
- Bill O'Brien addressed the sanctions, Ireland and Tyler Ferguson in a conference call. He said hopes the NCAA will meet PSU "halfway" when it comes to reducing the sanctions. PSU's 2014 commits also sounded off on the Ireland game and shared their take on the overseas matchup.
- ESPN Junior 300 DE/TE Tyrone Wheatley Jr. has moved around more often than an Army brat -- but the next move is up to him. He's considering PSU and all schools, except really for two. "No Ohio State or Michigan State," he said. "... My dad would have a heart attack if I committed there."
- DE Brad Bars will miss the season after rupturing his Achilles tendon, but he told ESPN that he plans to play in 2014. What does Bars' injury mean for PSU ? That question was answered, along with two others, in the mailbag.
- Brian Bennett ranked the Big Ten's 10 best nonconference games, and one of PSU's came in at No. 6. Other nonconference PSU games were ranked Nos. 17 and 19.
- First came Christian Hackenberg, then Michael O'Connor -- but who's next? NittanyNation took a look at five 2015 and 2016 QBs that PSU has an eye on .
- The ESPN Junior 300 was released this past week, and we took a closer look at 10 PSU targets on the list .
- 2016 QB Brandon McIlwain compared PSU's camp to others he attended and said PSU was one of two teams to give him the most-memorable recruiting pitch so far.
- NittanyNation kicked off its early, game-by-game look at the 2013 season by taking closer looks at Syracuse and at Eastern Michigan .
- Some Penn State trustees now say the findings of the Freeh Report are little more than "speculation."
- Tom Luginbill offered an overview on the ESPN Junior 300, while Craig Haubert outlined 10 things you should know about the 2015 class. There was also a chat on the rankings, where fans asked the experts a few questions.
- 2015 OL Ryan Bates wasn't that big on Penn State -- until he visited a summer camp. Now, he said in a Q&A, he'll visit again soon and possibly for the fourth time in September .
- Jashon Cornell is the top overall prospect in the ESPN Junior 300 and holds a PSU offer. Jared Shanker wrote an introduction to the athlete, so fans could get to know him better.
- 2016 DT Rashad Gary is a name to remember, and said PSU surprised him greatly after he arrived at camp without knowing much about the school.
- PSU was the first school to start recruiting 2015 OL Grant Newsome , and the 280-pound prospect said that definitely plays a role.
- Penn State has reached tentative agreements with victims of Jerry Sandusky and have approved about $60 million in settlements. One of Sandusky's adopted children, Matt, is also trying to have his name changed.
- The Music City Bowl and Gator Bowl have teamed up with the Big Ten and ACC for a six-year deal.
Instant Awesome: Franklin's Daughter Dominates
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 12:05 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU