NittanyNation: Week in review
July, 15, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at the past week's Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- NittanyNation held an all-time PSU fantasy draft, in which five teams took turns picking the best players ever to take the field at Penn State. O.J. McDuffie, Stephon Morris and noted historian/author Lou Prato were among the participants, and every participant analyzed their teams and strategies afterward.
- We continued coverage of the 24-round draft by compiling a notebook of the hits and misses and offering a behind-the-scenes look at some picks. Steve Jones and Mike Poorman then graded each team and offered their own thoughts on each roster.
- Sure, there was a lot of talk about past great PSU players. But what about the future? RecruitingNation posed the question, "What 2014 commit has the most likely chance to be taken in a future all-time fantasy draft once his career's over ?" NittanyNation decided to go with a commit that's not in the ESPN 300 -- but has a great opportunity.
- Three-star LB Zayd Issah faces another felony charge after an incident early Saturday morning in State College. Bill O'Brien told ESPN that, "If this is true, he certainly won't be part of the team."
- It's finally official -- Penn State and UCF will open the 2014 season in Ireland. The game will start at 1:30 p.m. (8:30 a.m. ET) and air on ESPN2.
- Eric Shrive is the president of PSU's Uplifting Athletes chapter, and he's taken the lead in helping raise money for kidney cancer research.
- 2015 in-state RB Andre Robinson talked about what he's looking for in a school and said PSU is one program he plans to take a close look at . "For sure, I like them a lot."
- 2015 OL Tristen Hoge said PSU, Notre Dame and LSU are his three favorites right now. He talked about his future plans, what he likes about PSU and more in this in-depth Q&A.
- In Friday's chat, we talked about the focus of the 2015 class, Christian Hackenberg's chances at starting now and more.
- Mark Schlabach took a look at key position battles this season and, not surprisingly, Penn State was one of the teams he took a closer look at.
- Jared Wangler was the subject for last week's "5 Questions" and said Indiana has continued to go after him hard, even trying to pitch him on bowl games -- which Wangler thought was a bit ironic.
- Ryan McGee, a senior writer at ESPN the Magazine, took a look at the five teams who are most likely to play the role of spoiler this season -- and PSU made an appearance .
- What PSU commits and targets improved their stock the most at The Opening ? NittanyNation took a closer look at five prospects who fared well.
- Antoine White's coach talked about his player and just what the Nittany Lions are getting in this Q&A.
- Penn State has reached tentative agreements with some of Jerry Sandusky's victims and soon could be paying out millions of dollars. Graham Spanier is also suing Louis Freeh for libel and defamation.
- The Big Ten released its nine-game schedules for the 2016 and 2017 seasons, and Nebraska will travel to Penn State in 2017 as part of a cross-division game.
- Brian Bennett offered a primer on the upcoming Big Ten media days and what fans can expect to see.