NittanyNation: Week in review
July, 8, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this past week's Penn State football and The Opening news to see what you might have missed:
- Three-star DT Antoine White became the 13th commitment of PSU's class. And his pledge is an important one for several reasons, especially because now -- no matter what happens -- this class has to be considered a success .
- Troy Vincent Jr.'s assistant coach said the cornerback is incredibly smart and that he was "surprised myself at how quickly [Troy] was able to do things."
- Brian Bennett created a primer on PSU's nonconference games and showed what fans can expect from the matchups.
- Heading into the 2014 class, PSU had some positions of need that it had to address. Now that the class is nearly finished up, just how well has it done at filling those needs?
- 2015 CB John Reid talked about taking part in PSU's three-day camp and called the alumni base "outrageous" in this week's edition of "5 Questions."
- PSU commit De'Andre Thompkins impressed at The Opening , as Tom Luginbill called him, "sleek and speedy, ultra smooth." Luginbill also looked at the best The Opening had to offer , although Thompkins didn't make that list.
- DT Thomas Holley is planning a few more visits and said he basically considered PSU to be an in-state school .
- In Friday's mailbag , we took a look at the likelihood of Eugene Lewis reeling in 50 catches, PSU's scholarship limitations and the lowdown on Rushel Shell. And in the Big Ten bloggers' mailbag, Adam Rittenberg tackled a question about the most valuable PSU transfers.
- Preseason camp is coming fast upon us, and the Big Ten bloggers listed the camp dates for every B1G team.
- Derek Tyson and Tom VanHaaren broke down the top performers at The Opening and listed the commitments that happened there. RecruitingNation also listed the top 10 performers on Day 2 of the event.
- Craig Haubert analyzed the prospects whose stock shot up -- and those who saw their stock drop -- at The Opening.