NittanyNation: Week in Review
July, 1, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this past week's Penn State football and recruiting news and what you might have missed:
- Four-star CB Troy Vincent Jr. become the 12th commit of the 2014 class. In an in-depth Q&A , Vincent Jr. said he picked PSU because of its tradition, proximity to home and -- above all -- the fact he just felt he fit in there.
- What does it take to be a national champion? Michael Rothstein found a pattern in the last seven title winners, so NittanyNation decided to take a closer look to answer the question, "Just how close is PSU to a national title?" Or, at the very least, just how close is PSU to competing with the Alabamas of the college football world?
- 2015 OT Sterling Jenkins felt right at home during a Wednesday BBQ in Happy Valley. "You could tell it wasn't just like any football team. You could tell," he said.
- The Opening kicks off later today. What should PSU fans keep an eye on? NittanyNation has the four PSU storylines right here .
- 2015 LB Chad Smith may just only have a Charlotte offer right now, but PSU wants to see film from the first few games of his junior season. And linebackers coach Ron Vanderlinden told the 6-foot-4 LB that he reminds the staff of former PSU great Paul Posluszny .
- 2015 might just be the Year of the OL for Penn State. So who are the top targets right now, and where does PSU stand with them? We took a closer look at six of those recruits.
- 2015 CB Kareem Ali Jr. passed up a chance to visit Notre Dame to see Happy Valley . And he wasted no time in impressing the coaches by posting a 40-time of 4.39 seconds. And he didn't let up after that either -- not by a long-shot.
- 2015 OL Austin Clark retraced his day at PSU's camp and offered his take on all things Penn State and said he could "definitely seem myself going to Penn State."
- In this past week's SportsNation chat, we talked a lot about recruiting -- including who'll be the next commit (NittanyNation's guess: Antoine White), what position is a focus of the 2015 class and more.
- WR Van Jefferson talked about his PSU interest and his recruitment in this Q&A. He already holds a PSU offer.
- Video: Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett talked about PSU's biggest hope and concern for this 2013 season.
- In the last of PSU's one-day camps , this notebook took a look at the five scholarships that went out to June 22 campers, the Canadian pipeline PSU is building and the three linebackers.
- The Big Ten bloggers offered up their thoughts on the Nittany Lions' QB situation, and Bill O'Brien even chimed in on Tyler Ferguson and Christian Hackenberg.
- In this past week's edition of "5 Questions ," three-star commit Marcus Allen talked about the cookout and what PSU fans can expect from him in the future.
- The secondary may have been a concern last season, but Bill O'Brien said he's liking the secondary depth in 2013.
- Tailback Qadree Ollison released his top five , and PSU made the cut.
- At the IMG 7-on-7 championships, one PSU commit made a lasting impression and found himself on ESPN's list of top-10 performers.
Big Ten Recruiting Report Card
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU