NittanyNation takes a look at this past week's Penn State football and recruiting news and what you might have missed:
- Four-star CB Troy Vincent Jr. become the 12th commit of the 2014 class. In an in-depth Q&A , Vincent Jr. said he picked PSU because of its tradition, proximity to home and -- above all -- the fact he just felt he fit in there.
- What does it take to be a national champion? Michael Rothstein found a pattern in the last seven title winners, so NittanyNation decided to take a closer look to answer the question, "Just how close is PSU to a national title?" Or, at the very least, just how close is PSU to competing with the Alabamas of the college football world?
- 2015 OT Sterling Jenkins felt right at home during a Wednesday BBQ in Happy Valley. "You could tell it wasn't just like any football team. You could tell," he said.
- The Opening kicks off later today. What should PSU fans keep an eye on? NittanyNation has the four PSU storylines right here .
- 2015 LB Chad Smith may just only have a Charlotte offer right now, but PSU wants to see film from the first few games of his junior season. And linebackers coach Ron Vanderlinden told the 6-foot-4 LB that he reminds the staff of former PSU great Paul Posluszny .
- 2015 might just be the Year of the OL for Penn State. So who are the top targets right now, and where does PSU stand with them? We took a closer look at six of those recruits.
- 2015 CB Kareem Ali Jr. passed up a chance to visit Notre Dame to see Happy Valley . And he wasted no time in impressing the coaches by posting a 40-time of 4.39 seconds. And he didn't let up after that either -- not by a long-shot.
- 2015 OL Austin Clark retraced his day at PSU's camp and offered his take on all things Penn State and said he could "definitely seem myself going to Penn State."
- In this past week's SportsNation chat, we talked a lot about recruiting -- including who'll be the next commit (NittanyNation's guess: Antoine White), what position is a focus of the 2015 class and more.
- WR Van Jefferson talked about his PSU interest and his recruitment in this Q&A. He already holds a PSU offer.
- Video: Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett talked about PSU's biggest hope and concern for this 2013 season.
- In the last of PSU's one-day camps , this notebook took a look at the five scholarships that went out to June 22 campers, the Canadian pipeline PSU is building and the three linebackers.
- The Big Ten bloggers offered up their thoughts on the Nittany Lions' QB situation, and Bill O'Brien even chimed in on Tyler Ferguson and Christian Hackenberg.
- In this past week's edition of "5 Questions ," three-star commit Marcus Allen talked about the cookout and what PSU fans can expect from him in the future.
- The secondary may have been a concern last season, but Bill O'Brien said he's liking the secondary depth in 2013.
- Tailback Qadree Ollison released his top five , and PSU made the cut.
- At the IMG 7-on-7 championships, one PSU commit made a lasting impression and found himself on ESPN's list of top-10 performers.
The Early Offer: March 5
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35