NittanyNation: Week in review
June, 24, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this past week's Penn State football and recruiting news and what you might have missed:
- PSU's ESPN 300 commits -- De'Andre Thompkins, Michael O'Connor, Chris Godwin -- were posed the same five questions to get a better handle on their personalities. Thompkins thinks safety Marcus Allen should have made the ESPN 300, for example, while O'Connor would switch positions with a left tackle if he had to move elsewhere.
- Three-star athlete Zayd Issah has his "sights set on PSU for now" and said he was thankful for a second chance.
- Bill O'Brien received a big raise this past week, and he'll make nearly $3.3 million this season.
- Calvert Hall DB Juantez McRae grew up alongside current PSU DB Trevor Williams. McRae looked upon the older player as a mentor, and he'll never forget one conversation.
- Freshman OT Andrew Nelson is thankful to be in the spot he's in. He signed autographs and posed with fans at last Saturday's Big 33 Game, and he's looking forward to his first season at Penn State.
- 2015 OT Sterling Jenkins is a big name with a big, 6-foot-8 frame. He talked about PSU, his recruitment and more in this in-depth Q&A. Ohio State's coaches already told him he looks like Orlando Pace.
- What sanctions? PSU's recruiting class is off to a hot start, and it's already ranked No. 17 in the updated ESPN rankings.
- NittanyNation ranked PSU's top 10 targets, in order, based on their likelihood of committing.
- DT Parker Cothren stopped by to answer "5 Questions" before he arrived on campus. He's up to 281 pounds already, and he talked about adjustments he'll have to make and his career goals.
- Who's the "X factor" for PSU this year? Adam Rittenberg says the answer has to be versatile DB Adrian Amos.
- Derek Tyson and Tom VanHaaren previewed The Opening, which has PSU commit De'Andre Thompkins on the Vapor Carbon team.
- Incoming run-on OL Evan Galimberti grew up just minutes away from Beaver Stadium, and he talked about what playing for Penn State means to him.
- RB Qadree Ollison received a PSU offer right before the creation of his top-five list, although it's not committable at this point .
- The Big Ten bloggers rated the B1G programs based on success over the next three years. Travis Haney also wrote about the biggest college football questions for the next three years, including whether anyone can knock off Alabama.
New Joe Paterno Statue Planned
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin