Sunday, March 10, 2013
Across The Field: Cut to the Chase
By Scott Kendrick
"The Chase" is on, both for the Big Ten title on the hoops side and a theme for the football Buckeyes in 2013. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The men's hoops team spoiled Indiana's senior night and the Buckeyes can win a share of their fourth consecutive Big Ten regular-season title with a win over Illinois and a little help from up north on Sunday.
- ESPN The Magazine's One Day, One Game issue was published, and it was the Ohio State-Michigan game last month in Ann Arbor. Two stories definitely worth a look: A piece about DeShaun Thomas' temper and a thought-provking read on why Aaron Craft is hated in 11 other Big Ten arenas.
- The football Buckeyes opened up spring practice with high goals and a new banner, writes Austin Ward. Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg chimed in as well. Ohio State's world has already changed in 2013, writes Ivan Maisel.
- Returning senior (a phrase you don't get to use much) Jordan Hall has a new position, and he is catching on, Ward writes.
- It's a big spring for Hall, defensive lineman Adolphus Washington and linebacker Curtis Grant.
- Urban Meyer is looking to find leaders on this group after so many graduated from last season's team.
- Eli Apple could be an impact early enrollee this fall, writes Travis Haney.
- At Ohio State's pro day, Troy Smith threw passes to Jake Stoneburner and Reid Fragel let his great NFL combine numbers stand.
- The Buckeyes are going forward without 2012 ESPN 150 defensive end Se'Von Pittman, who redshirted last season and has elected to transfer.
- In the first installments of a 2014 recruiting snapshot series, Brad Bournival profiled DE Da'Shawn Hand, QB Deshaun Watson, OL Jamarco Jones and DE Lorenzo Carter.
- Bournival also wrote companion pieces on the top five defensive ends and top five offensive tackles on the Buckeyes' radar, along with five things we already know about OSU in 2014 recruiting and five questions facing the Buckeyes.
- A Watch List athlete from California is feeling the love from Ohio State after an offer.
- An offensive tackle from Pittsburgh was surprised by an offer.
- On the visitors front, LB Kyle Berger made the trip from Cleveland last weekend.
- Watch List OT Quenton Nelson, OT Braden Smith, and RB Jonathan Hilliman are planning future visits.
- Watch List WR Demarre Kitt trimmed his list, and the Buckeyes made the cut.
- And a second quarterback finally got a scholarship offer -- for 2015, that is.
- In this week's recruiting mailbag, Bournival answered the questions of what's next and who stays.
The Gang's All Here
- The women's basketball team lost in the Big Ten quarterfinals to top-seeded Penn State and it's likely the end of a run of 11 consecutive NCAA Tournament bids for the Buckeyes. (Dispatch)
- Transfer Brad Goldberg has already been Big Ten Pitcher of the Week twice this season. (Lantern)