Sunday, January 20, 2013
Across The Field: Two weeks to go
By Scott Kendrick
The Buckeyes won their showdown against Michigan on the hardwood, but Michigan State on the road was another story. And the recruiting news continues to roll in with just a little more than two weeks until signing day. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- As offseason football conditioning gets ramped up, Urban Meyer is happy with the state of the program.
- Is Braxton Miller the front-runner for the 2013 Heisman?
- Austin Ward continued his Record Resolutions series with Braxton Miller, Drew Basil and Bradley Roby.
- Bard Bournival takes a look at the seven names most likely on the board for the 2013 class.
- The biggest weakness in the recruiting class at the moment is at receiver. And more offers went out.
- On that front, Ohio State is going after recruits from Oregon after Chip Kelly's departure. That includes one of the Ducks' top pledges in Dontre Wilson, who will visit next weekend.
- A former Texas Tech pledge at receiver is also planning to visit.
- They also could go the juco route if Akron native Corey Smith flips.
- And a new Florida prospect could visit.
- ESPN 300 prospect Cornelius Elder breaks down his finalists, one of which is Ohio State.
- The Buckeyes would also like a lineman, and Dan Skipper and Cameron Hunt each could fill that spot. But both are committed elsewhere.
- And, of course, there's also Vonn Bell, who told Kipp Adams good things about his Columbus visit.
- Bournival answers readers' questions about the 2013 class and more in this week's mailbag.
- The OSU-Michigan rivalry continues to play out in recruiting. Bournival and WolverineNation's Tom VanHaaren talked it up on Cleveland ESPN affiliate WKNR.
- The perception is Ohio State is going out of state for recruiting more, but that doesn't mesh with the facts.
- They did go to Michigan for one as the 2014 class got a huge jump-start with the commitment of Damon Webb last Sunday, one of the top defensive backs in the country.
- Offers continue to go out for other 2014 prospects, including a safety from pipeline school Cleveland Glenville, Texas safety, a Texas defensive end, a Michigan receiver, another Michigan receiver, a New Jersey athlete, an Illinois tight end.
- 2014 WR Kyle Berger of Cleveland St. Ignatius has an OSU offer, and he had a long Q&A with NittanyNation's Josh Moyer.
- The Big Ten will consider new division names. And Ohio State AD Gene Smith favors having the Buckeyes and Wolverines in the same division.
- Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett recapped the best and worst of 2012 for the Buckeyes, and Adam Rittenberg made some predictions for 2013.
The Gang's All Here
- It's the 100th anniversary of the birth of OSU alumnus Jesse Owens, who has an exhibit in his honor at the OSU library. (Plain Dealer)
- Think the football and basketball teams have a home-court advantage? Well, the Ohio State men's tennis team has won 150 in a row at home. (Lantern)