Wednesday, December 5, 2012
Rounding out OSU's 2013 recruiting class
By Brad Bournival
After crunching the numbers yet again, there might be room for seven more commits in Ohio State’s 2013 recruiting class.
But BuckeyeNation is sticking to its guns and staying with six. Why? Because there’s just too much that needs to happen for that number to increase, so we’re staying conservative.
The list looks a little different than last time, but here it is -- with reasons why instead of why not.
1. Mike Mitchell (Plano, Texas/Prestonwood Christian): Mitchell is making the trip up to Columbus on Friday. The Buckeyes need a linebacker, Mitchell is a linebacker. If Ohio State sells the ESPN 150 member on playing time, it might be all the school needs to land the standout.
2. Christopher Worley (Cleveland/Glenville): The Buckeyes are always in the mix with his other schools, but quick, name another school the linebacker has consistently mentioned. It’s assumed both Worley and Ohio State know where each other stands in the process.
3. Trey Johnson (Lawrenceville, Ga./Central Gwinnett): Johnson’s addition probably means Vonn Bell (Rossville, Ga./Ridgeland) is on the outs with Ohio State. That’s not to say the Buckeyes wouldn’t take Bell, but with the safety possibly not taking official visits, he could be gone to Alabama. Back to Johnson: The inside linebacker did take an official visit. He liked it, decommitted from Auburn and had an in-house visit last week with Luke Fickell.
4. James Quick (Louisville, Ky./Trinity): The ESPN 150 wide receiver went on record as saying there were a couple of times he thought Ohio State was for him during his official visit. With Charlie Strong’s future up in the air at Louisville as well, Quick could be a Buckeye if the Cardinals have to make a coaching change.
5. Gareon Conley (Massillon, Ohio/Washington): The ESPN 150 cornerback decommitted from Michigan. Ohio State coach Urban Meyer made an in-home visit to Conley two days later. The fact the Wolverines offered Illinois commit and safety Reon Dawson (Trotwood, Ohio/Trotwood-Madison) on Monday might indicates Michigan isn’t sold on Conley coming back to the Wolverines.
6. Shelton Gibson (Cleveland Heights, Ohio/Cleveland Heights): Gibson has said all along he loves the Buckeyes. His speed is outstanding as is his skill set. Of the six, Gibson is probably the biggest lock of the bunch.