Sunday, December 2, 2012
Across The Field: Hitting the road
By Scott Kendrick
With the 12-0 season in the books, coaches hit the road to keep the momentum going, visiting living rooms and schools of the cream of the recruiting crop across the country. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- With coach openings coming open every day, Urban Meyer hopes to keep his staff together, but that's easier said than done, writes Austin Ward.
- Ryan Shazier became one of the best linebackers in the country in the second half of the season.
- And there's still a lot of room to grow for Braxton Miller, who will wait to see if he's going to New York next weekend.
- Ward is reviewing the season by position groups, and we've gone through quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and tight ends so far.
- The Buckeyes found their rhythm and have set the foundation after the 12-0 season.
- A final verdict on Ohio State's claim for a split national championship.
- The All-Big Ten honors were released this week, with the Buckeyes well-represented. Miller and John Simon collected big honors.
- Brad Bournival tracked the 2012 season through the eyes of a commit, a recruit and a high school coach. .
- Adam Rittenberg writes about how Urban Meyer might never win coach of the year.
- The perception that Ohio State's schedule was weak was overstated, writes ESPN.com Insider KC Joyner.
- Ohio State and Michigan are dueling for the Big Ten's top recruiting class.
- Some recent decommits could be huge for the Buckeyes.
- Massillon athlete Gareon Conley, as expected, decommitted from Michigan and Urban Meyer made an in-home visit this week.
- As he was returning from Columbus, Auburn LB pledge Trey Johnson found out about Gene Chizik's firing, and he decommitted a couple days later. OSU had an in-home visit this week .
- Meanwhile, David Dawson might be back in with Michigan.
- Bournival, Jared Shanker and several others were busy last weekend -- here's a wrap-up of 24 recruiting updates from prospects from the Michigan game.
- 2013 pledge Jayme Thompson (and 2014 target Deshone Kizer) won a state title.
- Ohio State offered a scholarship to a senior offensive tackle in Arizona and a sophomore running back in Florida .
- A breakout star at quarterback in Washington, D.C., has Ohio State's attention.
- And a Kentucky athlete is planning an official visit to Columbus.
The Gang's All Here