Top five linebackers on Ohio State's radar
October, 29, 2012
By Brad Bournival | ESPN.com
Bob Przybylo/ESPN.comMike Mitchell of Plano, Texas, is among the top uncommitted linebackers in the 2013 class.The most glaring hole on Ohio State’s defensive depth chart this season is at linebacker.
Whether injuries or youth is at the forefront, it’s likely the one position coach Urban Meyer and his assistants will comb through in the next two recruiting classes to shore up. They've even moved a fullback -- Zach Boren -- to linebacker to compensate this season.
A once proud position, the linebackers for the Buckeyes have taken a back seat as the team looks to improve.
With that in mind, here are the strongest linebackers in the 2013 and 2014 classes for Ohio State.
As has been the case before, this top five is based on signability as well.
1. Mike Mitchell (Plano, Texas/Prestonwood Christian): The ESPN 150 senior continues to be the talk for the Buckeyes as his statistics -- he has more than 125 tackles this season -- impress. Mitchell has said he wants to make an official visit and that might be all it takes to land the 6-foot-4, 216-pound outside linebacker.
2. Raekwon McMillan (Hinesville, Ga./Liberty): Forget the fact the Buckeyes need help now as McMillan will likely be a top-10 recruit when he becomes a senior. The 6-3, 235-pound ESPN Watch List inside linebacker already has more than 20 offers. The good news for Ohio State fans is he has the Buckeyes No. 1 on his list.
3. Skai Moore (Ft. Lauderdale, Fla./University School): The 6-3, 195-pound outside linebacker keeps moving up the charts and the Buckeyes will have a chance to impress Moore when the senior makes an official visit this weekend for the Illinois game. He has more than 20 offers and has Ohio State in his top four. Moore is scheduled to see the Buckeyes again in November at Wisconsin.
4. Dante Booker (Akron, Ohio/St. Vincent-St. Mary): The ESPN Watch list outside linebacker has seen the Buckeyes twice and keeps them high on his list. By the time his junior season wraps up, the 6-3, 215-pound Booker will likely already own the school record for career tackles (296). He’s a sideline-to-sideline athlete who is rarely ever out of position.
5. Clifton Garrett (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield South): The ESPN Watch List inside linebacker racked up 18 tackles in a game this season and has high interest in Ohio State. He’s already seen the Buckeyes in action and liked what he saw. Like McMillan and Booker, Garrett will be a hot commodity as a senior. The 6-2, 218-pound junior already has nine offers on his plate, and that includes Ohio State.
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35