Across The Field: Thompson twins
March, 24, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
It was all about Sam Thompson on Friday night in basketball, and then Dylan Thompson in recruiting on Saturday. We'll see whether Sam has an encore ready today against Iowa State. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point fans to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Sam Thompson had a career night as the Buckeyes advanced in the NCAA tournament in Dayton.
- It isn't likely to be as easy against the Cyclones, who have made more 3-pointers than any team in the country.
- John Gasaway looks at how the Buckeyes turned around their season in the past month.
- There's little doubt that basketball success helps football recruiting, and vice versa.
- DE Dylan Thompson became the fifth commitment to the 2014 class for the Buckeyes, and there's no doubt Ohio State would like to get a couple of his Core6 teammates in the fold as well.
- Another Eli Apple? Ohio State is very much in play for New Jersey DB Jabrill Peppers. The personable Peppers has an interesting life story, writes Jared Shanker.
- Damon Webb talked about life as an Ohio State recruit in Michigan to BuckeyeNation's Brad Bournival.
- A teammate of Webb's, 2015 quarterback Jayru Campbell, is likely to make a visit.
- It's a busy month for recruiting visits as the Buckeyes continue spring practice.
- Top offensive guard prospect Braden Smith liked what he saw at Ohio State, according to his coach.
- Sam Hubbard of Cincinnati Moeller has intriguing size and athleticism, and now an Ohio State offer.
- Meanwhile, a 2016 quarterback has an offer from Ohio State.
- Bournival looked at the top five receivers in the 2014 class, which includes ESPN Watch List receiver Drake Harris of Grand Rapids, Mich.
- The Buckeyes made an offer to a 2015 offensive line prospect from Florida and another from Memphis, Tenn.
- Ohio State historically isn't a big recruiter of junior college players, but it might be in 2014 for offensive linemen.
- A top running back from North Carolina is rethinking his list and might stay closer to home.
- Linebacker Joshua Perry is engrossed in the playbook in order to earn some playing time in the fall, Austin Ward writes.
- Ward made some observations from the Buckeyes' spring practice.
- Those controversial new recruiting rules? They're now on hold.
- In this week's recruiting mailbag, Bournival answers questions about Deshaun Watson, Jabrill Peppers, running backs and the talent level of the Big Ten.
- Urban Meyer jokes that he wants Aaron Craft to be his quarterback. (Toledo Blade)
- It's not incredibly far-fetched: Craft was once a football recruit. (The-Ozone.net)
- Noah Spence has been a standout in spring practice so far, says offensive line coach Ed Warinner. (Dispatch)
- Ohio State and Michigan were at a stalemate on moving the time of their spring games, so neither will air live. (Detroit Free Press)
- Carlos Hyde has some unfinished business. (Dispatch)
- An alley-oop dunk by Sam Thompson gave the Buckeyes the jolt they needed against Iona, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- Deshaun Thomas is trying to be more selective. (Dispatch)
- Ohio State signee Marc Loving was named Mr. Basketball in Ohio. (Toledo Blade)
The Gang's All Here
- Jim Foster is out after 11 seasons as the women's basketball coach.
- Ohio State and the venerable St. John Arena is hosting the NCAA women's tournament this weekend. (Dispatch)
- Ohio State has the best combined football-basketball record in the country. (Plain Dealer)
- Several OSU wrestlers competed at the NCAA championships over the weekend. (OSU)
- The hockey team lost in the CCHA semifinals to Notre Dame.
- The baseball team swept defending Big Ten champion Purdue on the road to move to 3-0 in league play. (OSU)
College Football Minute
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU