Across The Field: Cut to the Chase
March, 10, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
"The Chase" is on, both for the Big Ten title on the hoops side and a theme for the football Buckeyes in 2013. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The men's hoops team spoiled Indiana's senior night and the Buckeyes can win a share of their fourth consecutive Big Ten regular-season title with a win over Illinois and a little help from up north on Sunday.
- ESPN The Magazine's One Day, One Game issue was published, and it was the Ohio State-Michigan game last month in Ann Arbor. Two stories definitely worth a look: A piece about DeShaun Thomas' temper and a thought-provking read on why Aaron Craft is hated in 11 other Big Ten arenas.
- The football Buckeyes opened up spring practice with high goals and a new banner, writes Austin Ward. Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg chimed in as well. Ohio State's world has already changed in 2013, writes Ivan Maisel.
- Returning senior (a phrase you don't get to use much) Jordan Hall has a new position, and he is catching on, Ward writes.
- It's a big spring for Hall, defensive lineman Adolphus Washington and linebacker Curtis Grant.
- Urban Meyer is looking to find leaders on this group after so many graduated from last season's team.
- Eli Apple could be an impact early enrollee this fall, writes Travis Haney.
- At Ohio State's pro day, Troy Smith threw passes to Jake Stoneburner and Reid Fragel let his great NFL combine numbers stand.
- The Buckeyes are going forward without 2012 ESPN 150 defensive end Se'Von Pittman, who redshirted last season and has elected to transfer.
- In the first installments of a 2014 recruiting snapshot series, Brad Bournival profiled DE Da'Shawn Hand, QB Deshaun Watson, OL Jamarco Jones and DE Lorenzo Carter.
- Bournival also wrote companion pieces on the top five defensive ends and top five offensive tackles on the Buckeyes' radar, along with five things we already know about OSU in 2014 recruiting and five questions facing the Buckeyes.
- A Watch List athlete from California is feeling the love from Ohio State after an offer.
- An offensive tackle from Pittsburgh was surprised by an offer.
- On the visitors front, LB Kyle Berger made the trip from Cleveland last weekend.
- Watch List OT Quenton Nelson, OT Braden Smith, and RB Jonathan Hilliman are planning future visits.
- Watch List WR Demarre Kitt trimmed his list, and the Buckeyes made the cut.
- And a second quarterback finally got a scholarship offer -- for 2015, that is.
- In this week's recruiting mailbag, Bournival answered the questions of what's next and who stays.
- Curtis Grant didn't handle losing his starting middle linebacker job well last season, but has rebounded, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Now that Ohio State is trying to poach recruits from the South, Nick Saban is trying to poach from the Buckeyes' home territory, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The early enrollees picked their uniform numbers -- at least initially -- and there are legacies to live up to. (Eleven Warriors)
- Is Ohio State's uniform getting a font tweak? (Land Grant Holy Land)
- And finally, a video of assistant coach Kerry Coombs accosting a kicker for getting water during a stretching drill went viral. (Eleven Warriors)
- Shannon Scott played a great game at Indiana and is emerging as a big defensive weapon, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Playing Scott and Craft together is paying dividends, writes Bob Baptist. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes have done well to right their wrongs in the second half of the Big Ten season. (Lantern)
The Gang's All Here
Scene and Heard: Top 10 Predictions
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin