Awards watch: Biletnikoff tracking Brown
July, 17, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
The season is finally getting closer. The release of preseason watch lists for the major college football awards confirms it, and with a full week of candidates already announced and more to come, BuckeyeNation will break them all down to see which Ohio State representatives have a shot at bringing home some hardware.
- What: Nation's top wide receiver
- On the list: Ohio State junior Corey "Philly" Brown
- Credentials: Despite posting modest stats as a sophomore, Brown led the Buckeyes with 14 catches and turned them into 205 yards with a touchdown. The coaching change and Urban Meyer's version of the spread offense is expected to provide many more opportunities for the wideouts to make plays than they had a year ago, and Brown could be one of the biggest beneficiaries -- particularly if he's getting touches in the pivot position.
- Head to head: Showcase opportunities against other targets under preseason consideration -- Jared Abbrederis (Wisconsin), Keenan Allen (California), Nick Harwell (Miami of Ohio), Roy Roundtree (Michigan)
- Odds: Brown would clearly qualify as something of a long-shot pick based on the statistics from last season, and even in the new spread it's hard to picture the Buckeyes throwing the ball around enough to produce the kind of eye-catching, individual receiving numbers required to snag a trophy. But one scenario that could set Brown apart from the crowd is if he takes advantage of the early absence of Jordan Hall in Meyer's hybrid position and becomes the go-to versatile weapon in the Ohio State attack, piling up yardage and attention in a variety of ways.
Michigan State Downs Ohio State