Awards watch: Basil is a Groza candidate
July, 11, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
The season is finally getting closer. The release of preseason watch lists for the major college football awards confirms it, and starting with the first two that were released on Monday and including all of them that follow, BuckeyeNation will break them down to see which Ohio State representatives have a shot at bringing home some hardware.
Lou Groza Award
Lou Groza Award
- What: The nation's top kicker
- On the list: Buckeyes junior Drew Basil
- Credentials: Led the Big Ten in field goal percentage as a sophomore by connecting on 16 of his 19 attempts, which included a run of 12 in a row at one point. All three of the misses last season came on attempts of longer than 40 yards.
- Head to head: Showcase opportunities against other kickers up for consideration -- Dan Conroy (Michigan State), Mitch Ewald (Indiana), Anthony Fera (Penn State), Brendan Gibbons (Michigan), Ty Long (UAB) and Brett Maher (Nebraska).
- Odds: With the number of opportunities overall or in clutch situations difficult to project, pegging this award in the preseason can be tough. But another similar campaign from Basil could put him in the mix for a spot on the list of semifinalists, particularly if he can add a conversion or two from more than 50 yards.
BUCKEYENATION RECRUITING NEWS
OSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Ohio State Buckeyes Script Ohio Local Attribute T-shirt
- Kyle Rowland retweeted
- Rusty Miller retweeted
2014 Big Ten STANDINGS
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Kent State Illinois TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Stanford Northwestern TBD Wisconsin Alabama