Across The Field: On the board for 2014
December, 30, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- So much for that recruiting dead period -- the Buckeyes finally picked up their first 2014 pledge on Christmas morning with Cleveland Glenville OT Marcelys Jones.
- Jones, as the first pledge to the class, knows that means he's now a recruiter as well.
- 2014 QB DeShaun Watson says Ohio State is giving Clemson a big push in his recruitment.
- And perhaps no name is bigger than LB Raekwon McMillan, who maintains that Ohio State is his leader, with Clemson second.
- A safety from Texas collected an OSU offer, and safety Nick Glass, a soft Georgia commit for 2014, has plenty of Ohio State interest.
- WR DeMarre Kitt and RB Nick Chubb both have Ohio State on top as the Georgia juniors all are talking about the Buckeyes at an all-star game.
- Brad Bournival answers questions in this week's mailbag, leading off with the Buckeyes' 2014 strategy.
- Reid Fragel turned himself into a dominant run-blocker, and now the Buckeyes must replace him.
- The Buckeyes aren't rushing when it comes to offensive linemen in 2013 recruiting.
- Ohio State will lose one cornerback for sure in senior Travis Howard. Austin Ward also took a look at how the Buckeyes will try to replace linebackers Etienne Sabino and Justin Boren and defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins.
- OL Cameron Hunt of California is working on a visit just before signing day.
- The Buckeyes are being careful at linebacker, but have them high on their wish list. Their lack of an LB in the 2013 class is likely to change this week.
- And ESPN 300 athlete Ryan Timmons could figure in somewhere in this class as well.
- Ohio State got an A-plus on its report card from Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett. Hard to argue with 12-0.
- And we'll all see Meyer during ESPN's coverage of the title game, as he'll be on the set for analysis.
- A homemade video of Buckeyes assistant Kerry Coombs talking to 2013 RB pledge Ezekiel Elliott and other recruits on campus could go viral. (YouTube)
- Ohio State freshman linebacker Noah Spence is one of nine sons who were home for Christmas. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes could be getting a transfer lineman if former Florida OL Matt Patchan comes to Columbus. (Gainesville Sun)
- Braxton Miller is working on that Heisman candidacy. (Plain Dealer)
- Doug Lesmerises counted down his top six Urban Meyer moments of 2012. (Plain Dealer)
- Eleven Warriors counted down their worst 11 moments, and the top 11 plays. (Eleven Warriors)
- Zach Boren said Meyer's practices fueled the perfect season. (Dispatch)
- And Terrelle Pryor will make his first start since the 2011 Sugar Bowl today. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes improved to 10-2 with a rout of Chicago State.
- Ohio State replaced its playing floor, and it looks somewhat familiar. (Eleven Warriors)
The Gang's All Here
- With the NHL labor standoff still going, more than 10,000 hockey-starved fans watched a tournament the Buckeyes participated in. (OSU)
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35