Across The Field: On the board for 2014
December, 30, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- So much for that recruiting dead period -- the Buckeyes finally picked up their first 2014 pledge on Christmas morning with Cleveland Glenville OT Marcelys Jones.
- Jones, as the first pledge to the class, knows that means he's now a recruiter as well.
- 2014 QB DeShaun Watson says Ohio State is giving Clemson a big push in his recruitment.
- And perhaps no name is bigger than LB Raekwon McMillan, who maintains that Ohio State is his leader, with Clemson second.
- A safety from Texas collected an OSU offer, and safety Nick Glass, a soft Georgia commit for 2014, has plenty of Ohio State interest.
- WR DeMarre Kitt and RB Nick Chubb both have Ohio State on top as the Georgia juniors all are talking about the Buckeyes at an all-star game.
- Brad Bournival answers questions in this week's mailbag, leading off with the Buckeyes' 2014 strategy.
- Reid Fragel turned himself into a dominant run-blocker, and now the Buckeyes must replace him.
- The Buckeyes aren't rushing when it comes to offensive linemen in 2013 recruiting.
- Ohio State will lose one cornerback for sure in senior Travis Howard. Austin Ward also took a look at how the Buckeyes will try to replace linebackers Etienne Sabino and Justin Boren and defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins.
- OL Cameron Hunt of California is working on a visit just before signing day.
- The Buckeyes are being careful at linebacker, but have them high on their wish list. Their lack of an LB in the 2013 class is likely to change this week.
- And ESPN 300 athlete Ryan Timmons could figure in somewhere in this class as well.
- Ohio State got an A-plus on its report card from Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett. Hard to argue with 12-0.
- And we'll all see Meyer during ESPN's coverage of the title game, as he'll be on the set for analysis.
- A homemade video of Buckeyes assistant Kerry Coombs talking to 2013 RB pledge Ezekiel Elliott and other recruits on campus could go viral. (YouTube)
- Ohio State freshman linebacker Noah Spence is one of nine sons who were home for Christmas. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes could be getting a transfer lineman if former Florida OL Matt Patchan comes to Columbus. (Gainesville Sun)
- Braxton Miller is working on that Heisman candidacy. (Plain Dealer)
- Doug Lesmerises counted down his top six Urban Meyer moments of 2012. (Plain Dealer)
- Eleven Warriors counted down their worst 11 moments, and the top 11 plays. (Eleven Warriors)
- Zach Boren said Meyer's practices fueled the perfect season. (Dispatch)
- And Terrelle Pryor will make his first start since the 2011 Sugar Bowl today. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes improved to 10-2 with a rout of Chicago State.
- Ohio State replaced its playing floor, and it looks somewhat familiar. (Eleven Warriors)
The Gang's All Here
- With the NHL labor standoff still going, more than 10,000 hockey-starved fans watched a tournament the Buckeyes participated in. (OSU)