Across The Field: Missing practices
December, 23, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, our week in review:
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Urban Meyer laments missing the 15 bowl practices that would have helped the Buckeyes' underclassmen.
- Receiver Verlon Reed, who had just one catch in 2012 after being a starter early in 2011, is leaving the team.
- The Buckeyes made it official that the spring game will be in Cincinnati because of Ohio Stadium concrete work.
- Cornerback pledge Eli Apple has a great reason for changing his name.
- Will the Buckeyes go for another offensive lineman in this class?
- The biggest need is still at linebacker, and Mike Mitchell and Trey Johnson will announce at the nationally televised all-star games. They're both among the top #BlueChipBattles.
- Urban Meyer has Georgia on his mind in recruiting, almost as much as Ohio. Two prospects from South Georgia power Camden County got Ohio State offers this week.
- Ohio State will get the first official visit of ESPN 150 safety Vonn Bell.
- Five things to know and five things to learn and needs vs. wants in Ohio State's 2013 class.
- Ohio State doesn't offer scholarships to many junior college players, but there was one they missed on this week.
- 2014 TE Jeb Blazevich loves Ohio State's coaching staff.
- The Buckeyes are firmly in the race for a top linebacker in the 2014 class, as well as massive OT Orlando Brown Jr.
- 2014 QB Drew Barker grabbed two more offers, but not Ohio State yet.
- 2014 athlete Lonnie Johnson postponed his announcement.
- Urban Meyer did the most underrated coaching job in the country this year, writes Travis Haney.
- The NCAA is weighing some proposals to change the recruiting calendar.
- Does Ohio State's monitoring of athletes' spending go too far in compliance? (New York Times)
- The Buckeyes' goal was to be the best secondary in the country, and they have a great shot at that next season. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes' toughest opponent next season could be ... San Diego State? (Plain Dealer)
- John Simon says his injured knee will be ready for the Senior Bowl. (Dispatch)
- Former Buckeyes lineman Kirk Barton earned an MBA while serving as a GA. (Dispatch)
- Kansas has the Buckeyes' number.
- It didn't happen Saturday, but Ohio State is developing scoring options beyond Deshawn Thomas, who is one of the top 10 matchup nightmares in the country.
- The Buckeyes struggled a bit, but got past Winthrop.
- Amedeo Della Valle is the people's bomber. (Eleven Warriors)
- How the Big East/Catholic 7 saga affects the Buckeyes. (Land Grant Holy Land)
The Gang's All Here
- The Indians are using Nick Swisher's Ohio State ties in order to recruit him to Cleveland.
- The men's volleyball team is aiming to get back to national prominence. (Dispatch)
- Thirty-three student-athletes graduated after the fall semester. (OSU)
- Those holiday treats are tough on Ohio State wrestlers. (Dispatch)
Meyer On 'Devastating' Miller Injury
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU