Across The Field: Missing practices
December, 23, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, our week in review:
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Urban Meyer laments missing the 15 bowl practices that would have helped the Buckeyes' underclassmen.
- Receiver Verlon Reed, who had just one catch in 2012 after being a starter early in 2011, is leaving the team.
- The Buckeyes made it official that the spring game will be in Cincinnati because of Ohio Stadium concrete work.
- Cornerback pledge Eli Apple has a great reason for changing his name.
- Will the Buckeyes go for another offensive lineman in this class?
- The biggest need is still at linebacker, and Mike Mitchell and Trey Johnson will announce at the nationally televised all-star games. They're both among the top #BlueChipBattles.
- Urban Meyer has Georgia on his mind in recruiting, almost as much as Ohio. Two prospects from South Georgia power Camden County got Ohio State offers this week.
- Ohio State will get the first official visit of ESPN 150 safety Vonn Bell.
- Five things to know and five things to learn and needs vs. wants in Ohio State's 2013 class.
- Ohio State doesn't offer scholarships to many junior college players, but there was one they missed on this week.
- 2014 TE Jeb Blazevich loves Ohio State's coaching staff.
- The Buckeyes are firmly in the race for a top linebacker in the 2014 class, as well as massive OT Orlando Brown Jr.
- 2014 QB Drew Barker grabbed two more offers, but not Ohio State yet.
- 2014 athlete Lonnie Johnson postponed his announcement.
- Urban Meyer did the most underrated coaching job in the country this year, writes Travis Haney.
- The NCAA is weighing some proposals to change the recruiting calendar.
- Does Ohio State's monitoring of athletes' spending go too far in compliance? (New York Times)
- The Buckeyes' goal was to be the best secondary in the country, and they have a great shot at that next season. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes' toughest opponent next season could be ... San Diego State? (Plain Dealer)
- John Simon says his injured knee will be ready for the Senior Bowl. (Dispatch)
- Former Buckeyes lineman Kirk Barton earned an MBA while serving as a GA. (Dispatch)
- Kansas has the Buckeyes' number.
- It didn't happen Saturday, but Ohio State is developing scoring options beyond Deshawn Thomas, who is one of the top 10 matchup nightmares in the country.
- The Buckeyes struggled a bit, but got past Winthrop.
- Amedeo Della Valle is the people's bomber. (Eleven Warriors)
- How the Big East/Catholic 7 saga affects the Buckeyes. (Land Grant Holy Land)
The Gang's All Here
- The Indians are using Nick Swisher's Ohio State ties in order to recruit him to Cleveland.
- The men's volleyball team is aiming to get back to national prominence. (Dispatch)
- Thirty-three student-athletes graduated after the fall semester. (OSU)
- Those holiday treats are tough on Ohio State wrestlers. (Dispatch)
Scene and Heard: Top 10 Predictions
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin