Across The Field: Who's next?
December, 16, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, our week in review:
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Austin Ward wrote a five-part series on perfect moments from 2012: No. 5, No. 4, No. 3, No. 2 and No. 1.
- To get more moments, Ohio State coaches have a special jacket for the recruiting trail, one you can't find in stores.
- Jonathan Hankins is going pro, as expected, and he'll go early. And that will put the young defensive linemen on deck.
- Bradley Roby is being recognized as one of the top cornerbacks in the country.
- Ohio State has two of the top 12 underclassmen in the country, according to ESPN Insiders.
- The Buckeyes picked up a commitment from OL Donovan Munger of Shaker Heights, Ohio.
- The next player to commit might be junior college linebacker Tommy Sanders.
- Or it could be a 2014 player, such as athlete Lonnie Johnson from Gary, Ind.
- A key recruit for 2013, linebacker Mike Mitchell, enjoyed his visit.
- In 2013, the Buckeyes lost out on No. 1 guard David Dawson, but have OT Kenny Lacy in their crosshairs.
- Ohio State would love to have the top LBs in the country in 2014 put in a bow for a special package.
- A trio from Detroit has their sights set on becoming a package deal as well.
- Brad Bournival dips into the mailbag on Trey Johnson, Mitchell, James Quick and others.
- The Buckeyes remain in the final three for top safety Vonn Bell, who would catapult a great class of defensive backs into another level.
- Ohio State's committed players are more than willing to help recruit.
- Coaches are tracking plenty of offensive linemen in the 2014 class, which will be an important area.
- Among 2014 players, the Buckeyes went to Georgia to offer DT Elisha Shaw and DE Lorenzo Carter, then to Northeast Florida for Isaiah Ford and Jeffrey Holland.
- Ohio State hasn't offered QB Will Ulmer, but they see some similarities in his game with Braxton Miller.
- 2014 QB Drew Barker, who is very interested in Ohio State, is getting lots of interest.
- A New Jersey junior was surprised to see Urban Meyer in his high school's hallway.
- Recruiting will always be an inexact science, however. Adam Rittenberg looked at the All-Big Ten offense and how they were rated as recruits.
- Maurice Clarett is trying to make a comeback in life.
- And would the Buckeyes be in the Rose Bowl, or better, if they were eligible? Brian Bennett and Adam Rittenberg have a difference of opinion.
- John Simon, a finalist for the Bowden Award for his off-field efforts, leaves Ohio State with no regrets. (Youngstown Vindicator)
- Cincinnati wanted one of its prominent alumni -- Ohio State coach Urban Meyer -- to help them get into the ACC. (Cincinnati Enquirer)
- Lost bowl practices are a big deal to Meyer. (Dispatch)
- AD Gene Smith is a polarizing figure to many, but he's still respected among his peers, and he's still getting results. (Toledo Blade)
- Compliance is being stepped up in nontraditional ways, such as assistant coaches monitoring players' bank accounts. (Bylaw Blog, via Eleven Warriors)
- Who would win a hypothetical title game between Ohio State and Notre Dame? (Baltimore Sun)
- A Florida Gators blogger knows better than to bet against Urban Meyer in his second season. (Eleven Warriors)
- What looks like a weak Big Ten won't hurt, either, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes are rolling through the home schedule so far, overwhelming Savannah State and UNC-Asheville, a team that made the tournament the last two seasons.
- Saturday's win was solid, but the Buckeyes need to show more maturity. (Plain Dealer)
- A solid group of sophomores are coming on and producing. (Eleven Warriors)
- And Aaron Craft doesn't care if he scores or not. (Dispatch)
- Italian-born freshman Amedeo Della Valle is already a fan favorite. (Newark Advocate)
The Gang's All Here
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35