Across The Field: A stormy week
July, 8, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Ohio State was decisive on how they dealt with the arrest of senior linebacker Storm Klein, who was kicked off the team Saturday.
- So the linebacking corps is even thinner now, which could mean early playing time for incoming freshman Camren Williams.
- This recruiting class needs a linebacker or two as well.
- Co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers is a well-traveled and well-respected member of the new coaching staff.
- Six committed members of the 2013 recruiting class are at The Opening.
- Perhaps a seventh could be linebacker Mike Mitchell of Plano, Texas, who demonstrated he's the best of the best athletically.
- Another player in Oregon this weekend is running back Derrick Green, who still likes the Buckeyes.
- With Jordan Hall out, Austin Ward took a statistical look at the other options. (We'll have more on Monday on the running back depth chart.)
- We caught up with former quarterback Greg Frey, who still gets asked about a play that happened almost 22 years ago.
- We started a series on the depth chart with a position that's pretty much settled.
- Aaron Craft can't be as much of a gym rat this summer. And, as ESPN.com's Eamonn Brennan writes, he's still tougher than you.
- The Plain Dealer wants you to print out this squinty-eyed Urban Meyer drawing and take photos with it wherever you go. (Their drawing looks more like Steve Carell to me.)
- "We'll just keep plugging and plugging," said Troy Smith, who isn't ready to give up on being an NFL quarterback. (Plain Dealer)
- Rob Oller wonders if Urban Meyer can finally produce an NFL quarterback from Ohio State. Yeah, it's been a while. (Dispatch)
- NCAA Football 13 comes out this week, and here's that commercial featuring Ohio State's Desmond Howard. That just looks so wrong. Good commercial, but I think I like the Tebow-Georgia one better. (YouTube)
- The running back depth issue could provide a defining moment for Rod Smith. (Eleven Warriors)
- Do you want five-star recruits or three-star recruits? It's a more interesting argument than you might think. (BuckeyeEmpire)
- Nice story about former OSU player Tony Stockman, who has a very special son. (Dispatch)
- The best of Cleveland and Columbus got together for some hoops at St. John Arena on Saturday, and it resembled an OSU alumni game. (Eleven Warriors)
- Why Jared Sullinger won't be a bust. (Ozone)
- And William Buford is playing on the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. (Plain Dealer/Twitter)