Across The Field: A stormy week
July, 8, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Ohio State was decisive on how they dealt with the arrest of senior linebacker Storm Klein, who was kicked off the team Saturday.
- So the linebacking corps is even thinner now, which could mean early playing time for incoming freshman Camren Williams.
- This recruiting class needs a linebacker or two as well.
- Co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers is a well-traveled and well-respected member of the new coaching staff.
- Six committed members of the 2013 recruiting class are at The Opening.
- Perhaps a seventh could be linebacker Mike Mitchell of Plano, Texas, who demonstrated he's the best of the best athletically.
- Another player in Oregon this weekend is running back Derrick Green, who still likes the Buckeyes.
- With Jordan Hall out, Austin Ward took a statistical look at the other options. (We'll have more on Monday on the running back depth chart.)
- We caught up with former quarterback Greg Frey, who still gets asked about a play that happened almost 22 years ago.
- We started a series on the depth chart with a position that's pretty much settled.
- Aaron Craft can't be as much of a gym rat this summer. And, as ESPN.com's Eamonn Brennan writes, he's still tougher than you.
- The Plain Dealer wants you to print out this squinty-eyed Urban Meyer drawing and take photos with it wherever you go. (Their drawing looks more like Steve Carell to me.)
- "We'll just keep plugging and plugging," said Troy Smith, who isn't ready to give up on being an NFL quarterback. (Plain Dealer)
- Rob Oller wonders if Urban Meyer can finally produce an NFL quarterback from Ohio State. Yeah, it's been a while. (Dispatch)
- NCAA Football 13 comes out this week, and here's that commercial featuring Ohio State's Desmond Howard. That just looks so wrong. Good commercial, but I think I like the Tebow-Georgia one better. (YouTube)
- The running back depth issue could provide a defining moment for Rod Smith. (Eleven Warriors)
- Do you want five-star recruits or three-star recruits? It's a more interesting argument than you might think. (BuckeyeEmpire)
- Nice story about former OSU player Tony Stockman, who has a very special son. (Dispatch)
- The best of Cleveland and Columbus got together for some hoops at St. John Arena on Saturday, and it resembled an OSU alumni game. (Eleven Warriors)
- Why Jared Sullinger won't be a bust. (Ozone)
- And William Buford is playing on the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. (Plain Dealer/Twitter)
The Gang's All Here
OSU Pulls Away From Navy
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28