Across The Field: A stormy week
July, 8, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Ohio State was decisive on how they dealt with the arrest of senior linebacker Storm Klein, who was kicked off the team Saturday.
- So the linebacking corps is even thinner now, which could mean early playing time for incoming freshman Camren Williams.
- This recruiting class needs a linebacker or two as well.
- Co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers is a well-traveled and well-respected member of the new coaching staff.
- Six committed members of the 2013 recruiting class are at The Opening.
- Perhaps a seventh could be linebacker Mike Mitchell of Plano, Texas, who demonstrated he's the best of the best athletically.
- Another player in Oregon this weekend is running back Derrick Green, who still likes the Buckeyes.
- With Jordan Hall out, Austin Ward took a statistical look at the other options. (We'll have more on Monday on the running back depth chart.)
- We caught up with former quarterback Greg Frey, who still gets asked about a play that happened almost 22 years ago.
- We started a series on the depth chart with a position that's pretty much settled.
- Aaron Craft can't be as much of a gym rat this summer. And, as ESPN.com's Eamonn Brennan writes, he's still tougher than you.
- The Plain Dealer wants you to print out this squinty-eyed Urban Meyer drawing and take photos with it wherever you go. (Their drawing looks more like Steve Carell to me.)
- "We'll just keep plugging and plugging," said Troy Smith, who isn't ready to give up on being an NFL quarterback. (Plain Dealer)
- Rob Oller wonders if Urban Meyer can finally produce an NFL quarterback from Ohio State. Yeah, it's been a while. (Dispatch)
- NCAA Football 13 comes out this week, and here's that commercial featuring Ohio State's Desmond Howard. That just looks so wrong. Good commercial, but I think I like the Tebow-Georgia one better. (YouTube)
- The running back depth issue could provide a defining moment for Rod Smith. (Eleven Warriors)
- Do you want five-star recruits or three-star recruits? It's a more interesting argument than you might think. (BuckeyeEmpire)
- Nice story about former OSU player Tony Stockman, who has a very special son. (Dispatch)
- The best of Cleveland and Columbus got together for some hoops at St. John Arena on Saturday, and it resembled an OSU alumni game. (Eleven Warriors)
- Why Jared Sullinger won't be a bust. (Ozone)
- And William Buford is playing on the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. (Plain Dealer/Twitter)
The Gang's All Here
Easiest Path To The 2015 College Football Playoff
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Kent State Illinois TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Stanford Northwestern TBD Wisconsin Alabama