Across The Field: A stormy week
July, 8, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Ohio State was decisive on how they dealt with the arrest of senior linebacker Storm Klein, who was kicked off the team Saturday.
- So the linebacking corps is even thinner now, which could mean early playing time for incoming freshman Camren Williams.
- This recruiting class needs a linebacker or two as well.
- Co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers is a well-traveled and well-respected member of the new coaching staff.
- Six committed members of the 2013 recruiting class are at The Opening.
- Perhaps a seventh could be linebacker Mike Mitchell of Plano, Texas, who demonstrated he's the best of the best athletically.
- Another player in Oregon this weekend is running back Derrick Green, who still likes the Buckeyes.
- With Jordan Hall out, Austin Ward took a statistical look at the other options. (We'll have more on Monday on the running back depth chart.)
- We caught up with former quarterback Greg Frey, who still gets asked about a play that happened almost 22 years ago.
- We started a series on the depth chart with a position that's pretty much settled.
- Aaron Craft can't be as much of a gym rat this summer. And, as ESPN.com's Eamonn Brennan writes, he's still tougher than you.
- The Plain Dealer wants you to print out this squinty-eyed Urban Meyer drawing and take photos with it wherever you go. (Their drawing looks more like Steve Carell to me.)
- "We'll just keep plugging and plugging," said Troy Smith, who isn't ready to give up on being an NFL quarterback. (Plain Dealer)
- Rob Oller wonders if Urban Meyer can finally produce an NFL quarterback from Ohio State. Yeah, it's been a while. (Dispatch)
- NCAA Football 13 comes out this week, and here's that commercial featuring Ohio State's Desmond Howard. That just looks so wrong. Good commercial, but I think I like the Tebow-Georgia one better. (YouTube)
- The running back depth issue could provide a defining moment for Rod Smith. (Eleven Warriors)
- Do you want five-star recruits or three-star recruits? It's a more interesting argument than you might think. (BuckeyeEmpire)
- Nice story about former OSU player Tony Stockman, who has a very special son. (Dispatch)
- The best of Cleveland and Columbus got together for some hoops at St. John Arena on Saturday, and it resembled an OSU alumni game. (Eleven Warriors)
- Why Jared Sullinger won't be a bust. (Ozone)
- And William Buford is playing on the Minnesota Timberwolves' summer league team. (Plain Dealer/Twitter)
The Gang's All Here
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35