Across The Field: Breaking the ice
December, 9, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
After a drought that lasted throughout the football season, Gareon Conley broke the ice on verbal commitments to the Buckeyes on Friday. Will more come this week? This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, as always, our week in review:
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- This is a major recruiting weekend for the Buckeyes, and perhaps the biggest target is Mike Mitchell, an ESPN 150 linebacker from Plano, Texas.
- But they couldn't get OL David Dawson of Detroit, a former Michigan commitment, to cross the border this weekend.
- No, the Ohio State-Michigan rivalry never really takes a day off.
- The Buckeyes were able to close and get a commitment from former Michigan pledge Gareon Conley. With Conley, the Buckeyes' DB class is looking very strong.
- The 2012 Ohio State secondary didn't look too bad, either. Bradley Roby picked up a big honor on Saturday, too.
- Austin Ward's year in review continued with the offensive line, defensive line, linebackers and specialists.
- Ohio State QB Braxton Miller ranks among the top quarterbacks in college football, according to ESPN Insider Brock Huard.
- Miller didn't get a Heisman invitation, but he did win the Silver Football Award as the best player in the Big Ten.
- So how many players will the Buckeyes take in this class? That's a moving target, Brad Bournival writes.
- ESPN 150 RB David Williams has Ohio State in his final three.
- But the Buckeyes lost out on OL Jimmy Byrne, a junior from Cleveland St. Ignatius who picked Notre Dame.
- Junior college linebacker Tommy Sanders was another player scheduled to come this weekend.
- A 2015 quarterback from Canton McKinley already has an Ohio State offer.
- A sophomore defensive tackle from North Carolina has an OSU offer as well.
- Jonathan Haden is planning a visit to Columbus soon.
- Ohio State still leads for WR Shelton Gibson, but he's taking visits.
- OSU president E. Gordon Gee's logic on the bowl ban is flawed, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- Some Big Ten officials are hinting that the league wants to get to 16 teams.
- Oregon is in the mix for former Auburn LB commit Trey Johnson, who also has an Ohio State offer.
- Bournival answered five big recruiting questions (send yours in the Horseshoe Pit forum).
- And if you're not an Insider yet and can't read all of our recruiting news, it's half price right now for the next six months at $9.99. And recruiting news isn't the only benefit, too.
- Ohio State renamed a street in honor of the undefeated season. (Plain Dealer)
- A photo gallery from the celebration. (OSU)
- Ohio State lost a villain with Bret Bielema's departure to the SEC, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- They gained one of their greats, as the school hired Eddie George in a fund-raising, ambassador-type role. (Dispatch)
- John Cooper was named to the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame. (The problem was just getting there, right?) (Dispatch)
- Twelve reasons why Ohio State went 12-0. (Toledo Blade)
- History will be kind to the 2012 Buckeyes, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- A Lebanon, Ohio, QB committed to Ohio State as a preferred walk-on. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- And Mike Vrabel needs to remember he doesn't wear a helmet on the sidelines anymore. (Twitter)
- The Buckeyes showed a lot of balance in a home win over Long Beach State.
- Ohio State's defense needs to improve. (Dispatch)
- Within Bob Hunter's Friday column is an update on Greg Oden, who is taking this season off to heal. (Dispatch)
- Ohio State's bench production is evolving. (Eleven Warriors)
- And LaQuinton Ross is becoming a go-to player. (Lantern)
The Gang's All Here
College Football Top Plays: Week 13
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Penn State 14 Illinois 16 Final Indiana 27 6 Ohio State 42 Final 25 Minnesota 28 23 Nebraska 24 Final Northwestern 38 Purdue 14 Final Rutgers 3 11 Michigan State 45 Final 16 Wisconsin 26 Iowa 24 Final Maryland 23 Michigan 16