Across The Field: Hitting the road
December, 2, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
With the 12-0 season in the books, coaches hit the road to keep the momentum going, visiting living rooms and schools of the cream of the recruiting crop across the country. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- With coach openings coming open every day, Urban Meyer hopes to keep his staff together, but that's easier said than done, writes Austin Ward.
- Ryan Shazier became one of the best linebackers in the country in the second half of the season.
- And there's still a lot of room to grow for Braxton Miller, who will wait to see if he's going to New York next weekend.
- Ward is reviewing the season by position groups, and we've gone through quarterbacks, running backs, wide receivers and tight ends so far.
- The Buckeyes found their rhythm and have set the foundation after the 12-0 season.
- A final verdict on Ohio State's claim for a split national championship.
- The All-Big Ten honors were released this week, with the Buckeyes well-represented. Miller and John Simon collected big honors.
- Brad Bournival tracked the 2012 season through the eyes of a commit, a recruit and a high school coach. .
- Adam Rittenberg writes about how Urban Meyer might never win coach of the year.
- The perception that Ohio State's schedule was weak was overstated, writes ESPN.com Insider KC Joyner.
- Ohio State and Michigan are dueling for the Big Ten's top recruiting class.
- Some recent decommits could be huge for the Buckeyes.
- Massillon athlete Gareon Conley, as expected, decommitted from Michigan and Urban Meyer made an in-home visit this week.
- As he was returning from Columbus, Auburn LB pledge Trey Johnson found out about Gene Chizik's firing, and he decommitted a couple days later. OSU had an in-home visit this week .
- Meanwhile, David Dawson might be back in with Michigan.
- Bournival, Jared Shanker and several others were busy last weekend -- here's a wrap-up of 24 recruiting updates from prospects from the Michigan game.
- 2013 pledge Jayme Thompson (and 2014 target Deshone Kizer) won a state title.
- Ohio State offered a scholarship to a senior offensive tackle in Arizona and a sophomore running back in Florida .
- A breakout star at quarterback in Washington, D.C., has Ohio State's attention.
- And a Kentucky athlete is planning an official visit to Columbus.
- Jim Tressel didn't expect that kind of reaction when the 2002 Buckeyes were honored, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Meyer ran some red lights, but was able to get that family balance this season, writes Bill Rabinowitz . (Dispatch)
- Meyer's concern on the field for next year is complacency. (Toledo Blade)
- The Big Ten is a financial power, but it needs to be more than that, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- Luke Fickell has gone through a lot in the last two seasons. (Eleven Warriors)
- The finale was "as good as it gets" for Meyer. (Plain Dealer)
- Running backs' careers are short: Will Carlos Hyde bolt for the NFL? (Land Grant Holy Land)
- Ohio State will have a celebration of its 12-0 season on Friday night at St. John Arena. Gee, wonder if some recruits might be invited? (OSU)
- The Buckeyes bounced back from the loss at Duke by beating up on Northern Kentucky.
- Deshaun Thomas needs help with a secondary scorer. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes have plenty to learn after the loss at Duke. (Lancaster Eagle Gazette)
The Gang's All Here
- The wrestling team won an invitational in Las Vegas. (OSU)
- The women's volleyball team opened the NCAA tournament with a win over Notre Dame. (OSU)
- The No. 15 women's basketball team fell to 4-2 with a loss at North Carolina. (Lantern)
- The Big Ten is inviting fans to give their thoughts on expansion. (Big Ten)
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35