Across The Field: It's Michigan week
November, 18, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The Buckeyes are 11-0, and we all know what this week is. (Warning to OSU freshmen: jumping into Mirror Lake is not advised unless you're up to date on your shots.) Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio State 21, Wisconsin 14 (OT)
- Ryan Shazier and the Ohio State defense came through in a big way on an off day for Braxton Miller and the offense, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- Shazier is at the top of the heap, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State is 11-0 and pretty good, but the Buckeyes showed they're not as good as the teams ahead of them in the polls. (Sporting News)
- In a physical game, you don't bet against John Simon, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Montee Ball got the record, but Carlos Hyde got the glory. (Wisconsin State Journal)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Bradley Roby, who made another big pass breakup that saved a touchdown at Wisconsin, isn't quite ready to talk about his NFL future, writes Austin Ward.
- Center Cory Linsley has been consistent, a great trait in a snapper in a spread offense.
- The son of a former Ohio State fullback will walk on this fall.
- Ward took a look at what the defensive line could look like in 2013.
- Both Mel Kiper and Brock Huard believe the Buckeyes are primed for 2013.
- Brad Bournival picked his top six recruits remaining on Ohio State's board, and a group of six more.
- Two Georgia juniors received Ohio State offers. RB Miles Autry and WR Demarre Kitt both have Ohio State in their top three.
- Three Buckeyes recruiting targets on the 2014 Watch List were guests of Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium. So was 2013 LB Skai Moore.
- 2014 QB DeShone Kizer got an offer from Michigan State.
- Junior OT Demetrius Knox of Texas will make his decision just after Thanksgiving, and the Buckeyes are a finalist.
- All is still quiet on the Mike Mitchell front.
- What are the odds that Urban Meyer can get Gareon Conley to flip his commitment to Ohio State? He says he's going to take visits, defying Michigan.
- Maryland and Rutgers are in talks to join the Big Ten. Thoughts?
- Is this Ohio State's special uniform for the Michigan game? (Land Grant Holy Land).
- While hating Michigan is part of the Ohio State culture, Zach Boren has to maintain some respect, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Does moving to defense help Zach Boren's possible pro career? (Eleven Warriors)
- Getting leaner was important to Ohio State's offensive line success. (SI.com)
- Lesmerises received records of Ohio State's latest secondary violations, and all were very minor. The school made two very important hires on the compliance front. (Plain Dealer)
- Urban Meyer gets an A so far, but probably won't be on the awards lists, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch, $)
- The Buckeyes won their first two games, beating Albany at home and Rhode Island at a neutral site.
- Two ESPN 100 recruits signed with the Buckeyes in the early period.
- Thad Matta is pleased with the recruiting class so far. (Plain Dealer)
- The Buckeyes are suffering a bit on the boards without Sullinger. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State's No. 5 wrestling team beat No. 12 Virginia Tech. (OSU)
- The women's soccer team had a great season that ended in a heartbreaker in the NCAA tournament. (OSU)
- The school has a new apparel deal (for teams and items Nike is not involved with). (Lantern)
- A few items were stolen from Ohio Stadium last week.
OSU Lets Spence Practice
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Iowa Pittsburgh 12:00 PM ET Eastern Michigan 11 Michigan State 12:00 PM ET Western Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Southern Illinois Purdue 12:00 PM ET Bowling Green 19 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET Maryland Syracuse 3:30 PM ET Utah Michigan 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Navy 4:00 PM ET Massachusetts Penn State 4:00 PM ET San Jose State Minnesota 4:00 PM ET Texas State Illinois 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 8:00 PM ET Miami (FL) 24 Nebraska