Across The Field: It's Michigan week
November, 18, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The Buckeyes are 11-0, and we all know what this week is. (Warning to OSU freshmen: jumping into Mirror Lake is not advised unless you're up to date on your shots.) Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio State 21, Wisconsin 14 (OT)
- Ryan Shazier and the Ohio State defense came through in a big way on an off day for Braxton Miller and the offense, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- Shazier is at the top of the heap, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State is 11-0 and pretty good, but the Buckeyes showed they're not as good as the teams ahead of them in the polls. (Sporting News)
- In a physical game, you don't bet against John Simon, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Montee Ball got the record, but Carlos Hyde got the glory. (Wisconsin State Journal)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Bradley Roby, who made another big pass breakup that saved a touchdown at Wisconsin, isn't quite ready to talk about his NFL future, writes Austin Ward.
- Center Cory Linsley has been consistent, a great trait in a snapper in a spread offense.
- The son of a former Ohio State fullback will walk on this fall.
- Ward took a look at what the defensive line could look like in 2013.
- Both Mel Kiper and Brock Huard believe the Buckeyes are primed for 2013.
- Brad Bournival picked his top six recruits remaining on Ohio State's board, and a group of six more.
- Two Georgia juniors received Ohio State offers. RB Miles Autry and WR Demarre Kitt both have Ohio State in their top three.
- Three Buckeyes recruiting targets on the 2014 Watch List were guests of Wisconsin at Camp Randall Stadium. So was 2013 LB Skai Moore.
- 2014 QB DeShone Kizer got an offer from Michigan State.
- Junior OT Demetrius Knox of Texas will make his decision just after Thanksgiving, and the Buckeyes are a finalist.
- All is still quiet on the Mike Mitchell front.
- What are the odds that Urban Meyer can get Gareon Conley to flip his commitment to Ohio State? He says he's going to take visits, defying Michigan.
- Maryland and Rutgers are in talks to join the Big Ten. Thoughts?
- Is this Ohio State's special uniform for the Michigan game? (Land Grant Holy Land).
- While hating Michigan is part of the Ohio State culture, Zach Boren has to maintain some respect, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Does moving to defense help Zach Boren's possible pro career? (Eleven Warriors)
- Getting leaner was important to Ohio State's offensive line success. (SI.com)
- Lesmerises received records of Ohio State's latest secondary violations, and all were very minor. The school made two very important hires on the compliance front. (Plain Dealer)
- Urban Meyer gets an A so far, but probably won't be on the awards lists, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch, $)
- The Buckeyes won their first two games, beating Albany at home and Rhode Island at a neutral site.
- Two ESPN 100 recruits signed with the Buckeyes in the early period.
- Thad Matta is pleased with the recruiting class so far. (Plain Dealer)
- The Buckeyes are suffering a bit on the boards without Sullinger. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State's No. 5 wrestling team beat No. 12 Virginia Tech. (OSU)
- The women's soccer team had a great season that ended in a heartbreaker in the NCAA tournament. (OSU)
- The school has a new apparel deal (for teams and items Nike is not involved with). (Lantern)
- A few items were stolen from Ohio Stadium last week.
Easiest Path To The 2015 College Football Playoff
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Kent State Illinois TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Stanford Northwestern TBD Wisconsin Alabama