Fab Five: The Braxton Miller Show
November, 9, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Counting down the five most impressive statistical performances so far this season for Ohio State as it heads into a bye week before trying to close out a perfect season against Wisconsin and Michigan.
No. 1: Braxton Miller
No. 1: Braxton Miller
- When: Sept. 8 against UCF
- What: The expectation had always been that the spread offense would feature the strengths of the sophomore quarterback, but in just the second game in the new system, it pretty much relied on Miller's ability exclusively in a physical, grinding nonconference meeting with UCF. Still working out some kinks and then dealing with multiple injuries at running back, the Buckeyes simply relied on Miller to carry the offense -- and he did that with 155 passing yards and a touchdown to go with 27 rugged carries for 141 yards and 3 touchdowns.
- Impact: There's no shortage of impressive performances to pick from, and trying to narrow it down to the top outing this season is certainly a challenge. But it became clear early on that the Buckeyes would only go as far as Miller could take them with his dual-threat ability, and from the first time he was asked to shoulder the load against UCF and through more recent Big Ten play, he has delivered every time for a team without a loss yet with new coach Urban Meyer.
- How: The accuracy in his throwing arm still leaves a bit to be desired, but Miller clearly has enough ability to keep teams honest and keep them from loading up to stop him from running. Even when they do, Miller's rapid acceleration, elite speed and a competitive streak that drives him to fight for every yard and bounce back from injuries has made him almost impossible to slow down on the ground this season.
- For the season: 184 carries for 1,166 yards and 13 touchdowns; 124-for-218 for 1,753 passing yards with 14 touchdowns and 6 interceptions
- He said it: “[Twenty-seven carries are] too much, that’s 27 hits and he’s blown out right now. We’ve got to be smart. But someone has to run the ball right now, and he’s our best answer. ... Braxton Miller is the best runner on our team." -- Urban Meyer, after the win against UCF
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35