Fab Five: The Braxton Miller Show
November, 9, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Counting down the five most impressive statistical performances so far this season for Ohio State as it heads into a bye week before trying to close out a perfect season against Wisconsin and Michigan.
No. 1: Braxton Miller
No. 1: Braxton Miller
- When: Sept. 8 against UCF
- What: The expectation had always been that the spread offense would feature the strengths of the sophomore quarterback, but in just the second game in the new system, it pretty much relied on Miller's ability exclusively in a physical, grinding nonconference meeting with UCF. Still working out some kinks and then dealing with multiple injuries at running back, the Buckeyes simply relied on Miller to carry the offense -- and he did that with 155 passing yards and a touchdown to go with 27 rugged carries for 141 yards and 3 touchdowns.
- Impact: There's no shortage of impressive performances to pick from, and trying to narrow it down to the top outing this season is certainly a challenge. But it became clear early on that the Buckeyes would only go as far as Miller could take them with his dual-threat ability, and from the first time he was asked to shoulder the load against UCF and through more recent Big Ten play, he has delivered every time for a team without a loss yet with new coach Urban Meyer.
- How: The accuracy in his throwing arm still leaves a bit to be desired, but Miller clearly has enough ability to keep teams honest and keep them from loading up to stop him from running. Even when they do, Miller's rapid acceleration, elite speed and a competitive streak that drives him to fight for every yard and bounce back from injuries has made him almost impossible to slow down on the ground this season.
- For the season: 184 carries for 1,166 yards and 13 touchdowns; 124-for-218 for 1,753 passing yards with 14 touchdowns and 6 interceptions
- He said it: “[Twenty-seven carries are] too much, that’s 27 hits and he’s blown out right now. We’ve got to be smart. But someone has to run the ball right now, and he’s our best answer. ... Braxton Miller is the best runner on our team." -- Urban Meyer, after the win against UCF
Ohio State's Toughness
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State