Across The Field: 10-0 for ninth time
November, 4, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Ohio State is 10-0 for the ninth time in school history, and there's a week off to celebrate it. Three of those teams have gone on to finish unbeaten. Is this year No. 4? This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, as always, our week in review:
Check out previous Across The Field packages here.
Ohio State 52, Illinois 22
- And now for a well-deserved week off, writes Austin Ward.
- This team doesn't have enough playmakers, but 10-0 still means a lot, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Carlos Hyde is now tied for the Big Ten lead in TDs with Braxton Miller and Montee Ball. (Plain Dealer)
- Illinois could never seize the momentum. (Chicago Tribune)
- And Ohio State's win could have an effect on the presidential election, too. (USA Today)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Miller can run like a video-game character and his coach knows he's a Heisman candidate, but Miller knows he needs to learn how to slide effectively.
- Miller is the No. 1 underclassman in college football, according to Mel Kiper and Todd McShay.
- The receivers were a soft spot last season, but they've come a long way.
- Ohio State's "fullbacker" has been a marvel to a guy who knows about playing both ways.
- A heart-to-heart-with Jake Stoneburner paid dividends.
- Ryan Shazier is emerging as a star, writes Brian Bennett.
- The incoming defensive line class looks like a really good one, writes Brad Bournival.
- Bournival's Offered series continued with 2014 linebacker Raekwon McMillan, athlete Gareon Conley and junior college receiver Corey Smith.
- Linebacker help is still needed. A look at the top five on the recruiting radar.
- McMillan talked to DawgNation's Radi Nabulsi about his top five.
- We should hear from 2014 WR Thaddeus Snodgrass this week on his commitment, writes Jared Shanker.
- There's plenty of OSU involvement in the #BlueChipBattles, too.
- Ohio State will host San Diego State in the spot they would have played Vanderbilt next season, and set a series with Boston College in 2020 and 2021.
- And the Buckeyes' basketball season began with an exhibition victory.
- Tim Tebow: Ohio State football fan. And he talks to Urban Meyer and Braxton Miller from time to time. (Plain Dealer)
- There was an unsung hero in the Penn State game, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- You can't help but think what might have been if the Buckeyes weren't on NCAA probation, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch, $)
- And if they had taken that bowl ban last season... (Toledo Blade)
- Devin Smith never covered a punt before, and now is an effective gunner. (Plain Dealer)
- Nathan Williams has a great tutor for his pro ambitions, writes Brandon Castel. (TheOzone.net)
- A player who helped Ohio State to its 1942 national title passed away at age 90. (AP)
- This year's Notre Dame team bears a resemblance to a certain championship team from 10 years ago. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- This year's success has set up plenty of momentum. (Plain Dealer)
- And they have to be considered "special" now, according to Urban Meyer's scale. (Eleven Warriors)
- Every Big Ten school will take a financial hit this year, and it's pretty much Ohio State's fault. (BTN)
- The Buckeyes were a bit flat, but won in their exhibition debut. (Dispatch, $)
- It was a little too close for comfort and sends a warning sign, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch, $)
- Aaron Craft is the scariest defender in the country, writes Myron Medcalf.
- The OSU women are ranked No. 19 by the AP. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- The women's volleyball team handed Nebraska its first home loss since joining the Big Ten. (Lantern)
- And two former Buckeyes players are in a group that's buying a bank. (Dispatch)
Check out previous Across The Field packages here.
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35