Across The Field: Best half of 2012
October, 28, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The second half outburst at Penn State was almost certainly the best half the Buckeyes played all season. Illinois next, then a bye week to get primed for the finish. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio State 35, Penn State 23
- The defense asserted itself, but perfection is still out there, writes Austin Ward.
- Ohio State has that look of perfection, writes Brian Bennett.
- Braxton Miller's start was shaky, but the finish was spectacular, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch, $)
- It was another big prime-time performance for the QB, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Ryan Shazier's pick-six kept up a trend in games against Penn State. (Plain Dealer)
- The tight ends are coming up big for the Buckeyes. (Dispatch, $)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes have to ride out Braxton Miller's risk-reward style, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- A redshirt season is an option for RB Jordan Hall.
- The Buckeyes have to be smart about physical practices, especially right now.
- QB Kenny Guiton and offensive coordinator Tom Herman knew each other before their OSU days.
- Ohio State's in the top half of the conference in graduation rate.
- Brad Bournival's series on offered players continued with high school juniors Dante Booker, Jamarco Jones and Marcelys Jones.
- Pennsylvania dropped longtime rival Ohio from the Big 33 All-Star game, and it's not going over well in the Buckeye state.
- Cornelius Elder could be an interesting add to Ohio State's class in more than one sport.
- ESPN National Recruiting Director Tom Lugenbill graded Ohio State's 2013 class so far.
- Ohio State and Oregon will renew acquaintances in 2020 and 2021 (if not sooner in Pasadena, perhaps).
- The Buckeyes' top five targets to finish the 2013 class is looking a little different.
- Springfield (Ohio) junior WR Thaddeus Snodgrass says he'll commit soon, and he's got a top five.
- Massillon (Ohio) athlete Gareon Conley might be wavering a bit in his commitment to Michigan, and Ohio State is in contact.
- Rossville, Ga., safety Vonn Bell still has Ohio State in his top three , and he received his Under Armour jersey last week.
- Buckeyes targets David Dawson, Robert Foster, Mike Mitchell and Conley are all part of this week's #BlueChipBattles.
- Ohio State has its eyes on a kicker from Brazil in the 2014 class.
- Recruits are getting younger and younger. The Ohio State staff already has its eyes on a freshman and a sophomore in Maryland. The freshman, Rahshaun Smith, talked to RecruitingNation's Josh Moyer.
- Buckeyes were lucky to be undefeated headed into the Penn State game, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch, $)
- Within this notebook, it appears that San Diego State could be the schedule replacement for Vanderbilt in 2013. (Dispatch, $)
- Chris Fields aims to build on his breakout game, writes John Kampf. (News-Herald)
- Zach Boren is a natural born tackler, following in the footsteps of his father, who was a linebacker under Bo Schembechler at Michigan. (Dispatch, $)
- Losing freshman Devan Bogard for the season is a tough one for Urban Meyer. (Plain Dealer)
- A look at Buckeyes in the NFL. (TheOzone.net)
- College football means a lot to the bottom lines in both State College and Columbus. (11 Warriors)
- The 2002 title team had a great moment against Penn State, thanks to Chris Gamble. (Buckeye Empire)
- Blue Ribbon Yearbook published its Ohio State hoops preview.
- New schools are in the mix for the No. 1 player nationally in the junior class, Andrew Wiggins. Ohio State is one of them.
- Deshaun Thomas and Aaron Craft are preseason All-Big Ten picks, and are picked to finish third. (Plain Dealer)
The Gang's All Here
- Graduation rates are up for all of Ohio State's athletes by three percent, and is up 19 percent since 2005. (Dispatch)
- Women's basketball guard Tayler Hill was named Big Ten Preseason Co-Player of the Year. (OSU)
- Women's soccer player Tiffany Cameron earned Big Ten honors. (Lantern)
- The women's volleyball team had a solid first half, but wants more. (Lantern)
Drive Through: One-On-One With Collins
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State