Across The Field: Best half of 2012
October, 28, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The second half outburst at Penn State was almost certainly the best half the Buckeyes played all season. Illinois next, then a bye week to get primed for the finish. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio State 35, Penn State 23
- The defense asserted itself, but perfection is still out there, writes Austin Ward.
- Ohio State has that look of perfection, writes Brian Bennett.
- Braxton Miller's start was shaky, but the finish was spectacular, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch, $)
- It was another big prime-time performance for the QB, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- Ryan Shazier's pick-six kept up a trend in games against Penn State. (Plain Dealer)
- The tight ends are coming up big for the Buckeyes. (Dispatch, $)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes have to ride out Braxton Miller's risk-reward style, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- A redshirt season is an option for RB Jordan Hall.
- The Buckeyes have to be smart about physical practices, especially right now.
- QB Kenny Guiton and offensive coordinator Tom Herman knew each other before their OSU days.
- Ohio State's in the top half of the conference in graduation rate.
- Brad Bournival's series on offered players continued with high school juniors Dante Booker, Jamarco Jones and Marcelys Jones.
- Pennsylvania dropped longtime rival Ohio from the Big 33 All-Star game, and it's not going over well in the Buckeye state.
- Cornelius Elder could be an interesting add to Ohio State's class in more than one sport.
- ESPN National Recruiting Director Tom Lugenbill graded Ohio State's 2013 class so far.
- Ohio State and Oregon will renew acquaintances in 2020 and 2021 (if not sooner in Pasadena, perhaps).
- The Buckeyes' top five targets to finish the 2013 class is looking a little different.
- Springfield (Ohio) junior WR Thaddeus Snodgrass says he'll commit soon, and he's got a top five.
- Massillon (Ohio) athlete Gareon Conley might be wavering a bit in his commitment to Michigan, and Ohio State is in contact.
- Rossville, Ga., safety Vonn Bell still has Ohio State in his top three , and he received his Under Armour jersey last week.
- Buckeyes targets David Dawson, Robert Foster, Mike Mitchell and Conley are all part of this week's #BlueChipBattles.
- Ohio State has its eyes on a kicker from Brazil in the 2014 class.
- Recruits are getting younger and younger. The Ohio State staff already has its eyes on a freshman and a sophomore in Maryland. The freshman, Rahshaun Smith, talked to RecruitingNation's Josh Moyer.
- Buckeyes were lucky to be undefeated headed into the Penn State game, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch, $)
- Within this notebook, it appears that San Diego State could be the schedule replacement for Vanderbilt in 2013. (Dispatch, $)
- Chris Fields aims to build on his breakout game, writes John Kampf. (News-Herald)
- Zach Boren is a natural born tackler, following in the footsteps of his father, who was a linebacker under Bo Schembechler at Michigan. (Dispatch, $)
- Losing freshman Devan Bogard for the season is a tough one for Urban Meyer. (Plain Dealer)
- A look at Buckeyes in the NFL. (TheOzone.net)
- College football means a lot to the bottom lines in both State College and Columbus. (11 Warriors)
- The 2002 title team had a great moment against Penn State, thanks to Chris Gamble. (Buckeye Empire)
- Blue Ribbon Yearbook published its Ohio State hoops preview.
- New schools are in the mix for the No. 1 player nationally in the junior class, Andrew Wiggins. Ohio State is one of them.
- Deshaun Thomas and Aaron Craft are preseason All-Big Ten picks, and are picked to finish third. (Plain Dealer)
The Gang's All Here
- Graduation rates are up for all of Ohio State's athletes by three percent, and is up 19 percent since 2005. (Dispatch)
- Women's basketball guard Tayler Hill was named Big Ten Preseason Co-Player of the Year. (OSU)
- Women's soccer player Tiffany Cameron earned Big Ten honors. (Lantern)
- The women's volleyball team had a solid first half, but wants more. (Lantern)
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35