Across The Field: Guiton now has legacy
October, 21, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Even if Kenny Guiton never starts a game at quarterback for Ohio State, he gave himself a legacy on Saturday. Welcome to Across The Field, a weekly feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 29, Purdue 22 (OT)
Ohio State 29, Purdue 22 (OT)
- Imperfect win, imperfect (and very injured) team, but a perfect record, writes Austin Ward.
- Guiton's performance was one for the ages, writes Bob Hunter (Dispatch) and Bill Livingston (Plain Dealer)
- Guiton gets the headlines, but how about that first career TD catch for Chris Fields? (News-Herald)
- The defense made a big stop in overtime. (Dispatch)
- And Purdue found another way to lose. (Indianapolis Star)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The offensive line has been the engine behind the winning streak.
- Looks like Urban Meyer's message to the defense was received.
- Luke Fickell has enough internal pressure to get the defense fixed.
- Brad Bournival caught up with former WR Roy Hall, who is president of a nonprofit.
- Zach Boren might not have been able to move to defense if not for Jeff Heuerman's ability to move to fullback.
- Carlos Hyde tends to get stronger as the game progresses. And he's spreading his wings in the offense, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- 2014 offensive tackle Jamarco Jones is already looking forward to Nov. 24. Aren't we all.
- Three freshmen are playing themselves into big roles on defense.
- The Buckeyes need linebackers, right. That makes Mike Mitchell a big, big target. It's one of the national #BlueChipBattles.
- A linebacker committed to Auburn also is taking a look at the Buckeyes.
- 2013 receiver Shelton Gibson wants to finish his season before whittling his list.
- Middletown's Jalin Marshall projects as a receiver in Columbus, where his physical skills could come in very handy.
- A former Michigan offensive line commit also will give the Buckeyes a shot.
- An athlete from Tennessee made the trip for the Purdue game.
- Ohio State also gave an offer to a juco receiver originally from Akron.
- Vanderbilt's athletic director plans to apologize for the handling of dropping the Buckeyes from the 2013 schedule. (Lantern)
- Cute lead by Doug Lesmerises -- the Buckeyes played like a Big 12 defense last week. (Plain Dealer)
- Comparing Braxton Miller with Terrelle Pryor, and it's hard to ignore the baggage. (Plain Dealer)
- With Ohio State's pedigree of star linebackers, it's hard to believe the cupboard is this bare at the position. (The Ozone.net)
- The Buckeyes would have likely been No. 7 in the first BCS standings if they were eligible. (Plain Dealer)
- Miller isn't looking at the Heisman polls. (11 Warriors)
- The Buckeyes are No. 4 in the coaches' poll.
- So, is the Big Ten a basketball conference now? Football players weigh in. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State should be a contender as other powerhouses rebuild. (SI)
- A Q&A with point guard Aaron Craft. (Sporting News)
- Student tickets for basketball sold out in less than five minutes. (Lantern)
The Gang's All Here
New ESPN 300 Top 10 Revealed
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin