Across The Field: Guiton now has legacy
October, 21, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Even if Kenny Guiton never starts a game at quarterback for Ohio State, he gave himself a legacy on Saturday. Welcome to Across The Field, a weekly feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 29, Purdue 22 (OT)
Ohio State 29, Purdue 22 (OT)
- Imperfect win, imperfect (and very injured) team, but a perfect record, writes Austin Ward.
- Guiton's performance was one for the ages, writes Bob Hunter (Dispatch) and Bill Livingston (Plain Dealer)
- Guiton gets the headlines, but how about that first career TD catch for Chris Fields? (News-Herald)
- The defense made a big stop in overtime. (Dispatch)
- And Purdue found another way to lose. (Indianapolis Star)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The offensive line has been the engine behind the winning streak.
- Looks like Urban Meyer's message to the defense was received.
- Luke Fickell has enough internal pressure to get the defense fixed.
- Brad Bournival caught up with former WR Roy Hall, who is president of a nonprofit.
- Zach Boren might not have been able to move to defense if not for Jeff Heuerman's ability to move to fullback.
- Carlos Hyde tends to get stronger as the game progresses. And he's spreading his wings in the offense, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- 2014 offensive tackle Jamarco Jones is already looking forward to Nov. 24. Aren't we all.
- Three freshmen are playing themselves into big roles on defense.
- The Buckeyes need linebackers, right. That makes Mike Mitchell a big, big target. It's one of the national #BlueChipBattles.
- A linebacker committed to Auburn also is taking a look at the Buckeyes.
- 2013 receiver Shelton Gibson wants to finish his season before whittling his list.
- Middletown's Jalin Marshall projects as a receiver in Columbus, where his physical skills could come in very handy.
- A former Michigan offensive line commit also will give the Buckeyes a shot.
- An athlete from Tennessee made the trip for the Purdue game.
- Ohio State also gave an offer to a juco receiver originally from Akron.
- Vanderbilt's athletic director plans to apologize for the handling of dropping the Buckeyes from the 2013 schedule. (Lantern)
- Cute lead by Doug Lesmerises -- the Buckeyes played like a Big 12 defense last week. (Plain Dealer)
- Comparing Braxton Miller with Terrelle Pryor, and it's hard to ignore the baggage. (Plain Dealer)
- With Ohio State's pedigree of star linebackers, it's hard to believe the cupboard is this bare at the position. (The Ozone.net)
- The Buckeyes would have likely been No. 7 in the first BCS standings if they were eligible. (Plain Dealer)
- Miller isn't looking at the Heisman polls. (11 Warriors)
- The Buckeyes are No. 4 in the coaches' poll.
- So, is the Big Ten a basketball conference now? Football players weigh in. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State should be a contender as other powerhouses rebuild. (SI)
- A Q&A with point guard Aaron Craft. (Sporting News)
- Student tickets for basketball sold out in less than five minutes. (Lantern)
The Gang's All Here
Can Mississippi State Hold On?
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Penn State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana 6 Ohio State 12:00 PM ET 25 Minnesota 23 Nebraska 12:00 PM ET Northwestern Purdue 12:00 PM ET Rutgers 11 Michigan State 3:30 PM ET 16 Wisconsin Iowa 3:30 PM ET Maryland Michigan