Across The Field: A bit ugly, but 4-0
September, 23, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
It's time for this week's edition of Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 29, UAB 15
- No, it wasn't pretty. But it is 4-0, with plenty to work on, writes Austin Ward.
- Penalty totals weren't horrible against UAB, but they came at horrible times.
- The defense was a bit short-handed, and a bit too passive. But they did keep the Blazers out of the end zone.
- Ohio State would be 1-3 if not for Braxton Miller, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- There isn't much evidence of progress, Bob Hunter writes. (Dispatch)
- UAB saw a lot of positives, of course. (Birmingham News)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes reeled in their 17th commitment for the 2013 class with Tyquan Lewis of Tarboro, N.C. The three-star defensive end/linebacker looks to be a good fit.
- Who's next in the class? Brad Bournival has a top five.
- Wide receiver Shelton Gibson could be the next guy. He's planning three more trips to Columbus.
- The 2014 offers are trickling out. Cleveland Glenville OT Marcelys Jones got one, as did a New Jersey lineman and a receiver already committed to Florida State.
- Toledo Central Catholic QB DeShone Kizer is still angling for an offer, and Michigan is also lurking.
- It didn't happen this week, but can the Buckeyes get a deep game going?
- Former Buckeyes All-America lineman LeCharles Bentley is looking out for the next generation of linemen.
- Freshman Luke Roberts comes from a school with an OSU linebacker pedigree.
- It's looking like a rough year for the Big Ten, but they'll rise again, writes ESPN.com's Brad Edwards.
- Friday is kick-back day for the Buckeyes, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Having football taken away for a while has given Storm Klein a new perspective. (Eleven Warriors)
- The defensive line was supposed to be deep. What happened? (The-Ozone.net)
- Don't expect a miracle season, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- While coaches these days don't elaborate about injuries, Urban Meyer sprinkles in a little news now and then. (Plain Dealer)
- Florida Atlantic played Alabama on Saturday, and former Buckeyes WR Duron Carter wasn't in uniform against one of his former teams. He'll have to sit out all season. (OwlAccess.com)
- The Buckeyes got a commitment from a shooting guard ranked in the ESPN 100.
- Thad Matta has to be considered an elite coach now, writes Jeff Rapp. (The-Ozone.net)
- Ohio State will host a tip-off event on Oct. 22. (ohiostatebuckeyes.com)
- Matta and former OSU coach Randy Ayers were inducted into the Cradle of Coaches at Miami (Ohio). Ayers is a Miami grad, and Matta had two stints as an assistant there. (ohiostatebuckeyes.com)
The Gang's All Here
Scene and Heard: Top 10 Predictions
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin