Across The Field: A bit ugly, but 4-0
September, 23, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
It's time for this week's edition of Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 29, UAB 15
- No, it wasn't pretty. But it is 4-0, with plenty to work on, writes Austin Ward.
- Penalty totals weren't horrible against UAB, but they came at horrible times.
- The defense was a bit short-handed, and a bit too passive. But they did keep the Blazers out of the end zone.
- Ohio State would be 1-3 if not for Braxton Miller, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- There isn't much evidence of progress, Bob Hunter writes. (Dispatch)
- UAB saw a lot of positives, of course. (Birmingham News)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes reeled in their 17th commitment for the 2013 class with Tyquan Lewis of Tarboro, N.C. The three-star defensive end/linebacker looks to be a good fit.
- Who's next in the class? Brad Bournival has a top five.
- Wide receiver Shelton Gibson could be the next guy. He's planning three more trips to Columbus.
- The 2014 offers are trickling out. Cleveland Glenville OT Marcelys Jones got one, as did a New Jersey lineman and a receiver already committed to Florida State.
- Toledo Central Catholic QB DeShone Kizer is still angling for an offer, and Michigan is also lurking.
- It didn't happen this week, but can the Buckeyes get a deep game going?
- Former Buckeyes All-America lineman LeCharles Bentley is looking out for the next generation of linemen.
- Freshman Luke Roberts comes from a school with an OSU linebacker pedigree.
- It's looking like a rough year for the Big Ten, but they'll rise again, writes ESPN.com's Brad Edwards.
- Friday is kick-back day for the Buckeyes, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Having football taken away for a while has given Storm Klein a new perspective. (Eleven Warriors)
- The defensive line was supposed to be deep. What happened? (The-Ozone.net)
- Don't expect a miracle season, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- While coaches these days don't elaborate about injuries, Urban Meyer sprinkles in a little news now and then. (Plain Dealer)
- Florida Atlantic played Alabama on Saturday, and former Buckeyes WR Duron Carter wasn't in uniform against one of his former teams. He'll have to sit out all season. (OwlAccess.com)
- The Buckeyes got a commitment from a shooting guard ranked in the ESPN 100.
- Thad Matta has to be considered an elite coach now, writes Jeff Rapp. (The-Ozone.net)
- Ohio State will host a tip-off event on Oct. 22. (ohiostatebuckeyes.com)
- Matta and former OSU coach Randy Ayers were inducted into the Cradle of Coaches at Miami (Ohio). Ayers is a Miami grad, and Matta had two stints as an assistant there. (ohiostatebuckeyes.com)
The Gang's All Here
Drive Through: Virginia Tech Fallout
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final West Virginia 40 Maryland 37 Final Indiana 42 Bowling Green 45 Final Kent State 0 22 Ohio State 66 Final Miami (OH) 10 Michigan 34 Final Iowa State 20 Iowa 17 Final Minnesota 7 TCU 30 Final Illinois 19 Washington 44 Final Purdue 14 11 Notre Dame 30 Final Penn State 13 Rutgers 10 Final Nebraska 55 Fresno State 19