Across The Field: A bit ugly, but 4-0
September, 23, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
It's time for this week's edition of Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 29, UAB 15
- No, it wasn't pretty. But it is 4-0, with plenty to work on, writes Austin Ward.
- Penalty totals weren't horrible against UAB, but they came at horrible times.
- The defense was a bit short-handed, and a bit too passive. But they did keep the Blazers out of the end zone.
- Ohio State would be 1-3 if not for Braxton Miller, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- There isn't much evidence of progress, Bob Hunter writes. (Dispatch)
- UAB saw a lot of positives, of course. (Birmingham News)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes reeled in their 17th commitment for the 2013 class with Tyquan Lewis of Tarboro, N.C. The three-star defensive end/linebacker looks to be a good fit.
- Who's next in the class? Brad Bournival has a top five.
- Wide receiver Shelton Gibson could be the next guy. He's planning three more trips to Columbus.
- The 2014 offers are trickling out. Cleveland Glenville OT Marcelys Jones got one, as did a New Jersey lineman and a receiver already committed to Florida State.
- Toledo Central Catholic QB DeShone Kizer is still angling for an offer, and Michigan is also lurking.
- It didn't happen this week, but can the Buckeyes get a deep game going?
- Former Buckeyes All-America lineman LeCharles Bentley is looking out for the next generation of linemen.
- Freshman Luke Roberts comes from a school with an OSU linebacker pedigree.
- It's looking like a rough year for the Big Ten, but they'll rise again, writes ESPN.com's Brad Edwards.
- Friday is kick-back day for the Buckeyes, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Having football taken away for a while has given Storm Klein a new perspective. (Eleven Warriors)
- The defensive line was supposed to be deep. What happened? (The-Ozone.net)
- Don't expect a miracle season, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- While coaches these days don't elaborate about injuries, Urban Meyer sprinkles in a little news now and then. (Plain Dealer)
- Florida Atlantic played Alabama on Saturday, and former Buckeyes WR Duron Carter wasn't in uniform against one of his former teams. He'll have to sit out all season. (OwlAccess.com)
- The Buckeyes got a commitment from a shooting guard ranked in the ESPN 100.
- Thad Matta has to be considered an elite coach now, writes Jeff Rapp. (The-Ozone.net)
- Ohio State will host a tip-off event on Oct. 22. (ohiostatebuckeyes.com)
- Matta and former OSU coach Randy Ayers were inducted into the Cradle of Coaches at Miami (Ohio). Ayers is a Miami grad, and Matta had two stints as an assistant there. (ohiostatebuckeyes.com)
The Gang's All Here
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35