Across The Field: Finding flaws
September, 16, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
After the Buckeyes' first great escape of the season, it's time for Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 35, California 28
- Devin Smith is becoming the go-to guy in big moments, Austin Ward writes.
- Christian Bryant picked a great time for his first career interception.
- Braxton Miller can cover a lot of flaws, writes Brian Bennett.
- It's a win, but it raises some doubts. (SI.com)
- And some flaws, writes Marla Ridenour. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- The Buckeyes had success with the old Tim Tebow jump pass, without much of a jump. (Plain Dealer)
- Blitzing paid off this time, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Judging by the quotes, it almost sounds like a moral victory for Cal. (San Francisco Chronicle)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Brad Bournival traveled to Pennsylvania and talked to OT Dorian Johnson, a former Penn State pledge who has Ohio State in his final three. He also visited WR Robert Foster at his Under Armour jersey presentation.
- Another former PSU pledge looking for a home is athlete Zayd Issah, who is friends with OSU freshman Noah Spence. He'd like to visit.
- 2014 QB Joey Duckworth of Louisville, Ohio, would love to get an OSU offer, and two players from nearby Massillon wouldn't mind, either.
- 2014 RB Mikel Horton was at the Horseshoe on Saturday, and an offer could be coming.
- We're tracking the top 2014 targets at wide receiver and tight end.
- We had entrance exams for freshman OG Pat Elflein and DB Najee Murray.
- A few freshmen are making names for themselves.
- Miller is certainly in the Heisman race right now.
- Bournival also caught up with former middle guard (and wild man) Mark Sullivan, who was quite a character in the late 1970s.
- Big DT Johnathan Hankins is moving up on Mel Kiper's big board.
- The Big Ten bloggers debate: Who is more indispensable: Miller or Denard Robinson?
- Will Jim Tressel come to the 10th anniversary celebration of the national championship team? Just happens to be the Michigan game, by the way. (Plain Dealer)
- How different might Ohio State's history had been if they'd hired Sid Gillman instead of Woody Hayes? (Bob Hunter, Dispatch)
- And the secondary ticket market has really opened up, writes Hunter. Blame the schedule, the economy, and maybe the school's ticket prices. (Dispatch)
- Is the Horseshoe loud enough? (The-Ozone.net)
- It's not much of a statistical sample, but Miller's numbers are even better than other Meyer QBs. (Buckeye Empire)
- It's likely that every football team in the country has guys like former OSU QB Scott McMullen. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- New Ohio State Hall of Famer Bob Knight didn't enjoy winning at Ohio State at first, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- One of the Buckeyes' recruiting targets picked Illinois on Saturday.
- William Buford will play in Spain this season. (Toledo Blade)
The Gang's All Here
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35