Across The Field: Finding flaws
September, 16, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
After the Buckeyes' first great escape of the season, it's time for Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 35, California 28
- Devin Smith is becoming the go-to guy in big moments, Austin Ward writes.
- Christian Bryant picked a great time for his first career interception.
- Braxton Miller can cover a lot of flaws, writes Brian Bennett.
- It's a win, but it raises some doubts. (SI.com)
- And some flaws, writes Marla Ridenour. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- The Buckeyes had success with the old Tim Tebow jump pass, without much of a jump. (Plain Dealer)
- Blitzing paid off this time, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Judging by the quotes, it almost sounds like a moral victory for Cal. (San Francisco Chronicle)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Brad Bournival traveled to Pennsylvania and talked to OT Dorian Johnson, a former Penn State pledge who has Ohio State in his final three. He also visited WR Robert Foster at his Under Armour jersey presentation.
- Another former PSU pledge looking for a home is athlete Zayd Issah, who is friends with OSU freshman Noah Spence. He'd like to visit.
- 2014 QB Joey Duckworth of Louisville, Ohio, would love to get an OSU offer, and two players from nearby Massillon wouldn't mind, either.
- 2014 RB Mikel Horton was at the Horseshoe on Saturday, and an offer could be coming.
- We're tracking the top 2014 targets at wide receiver and tight end.
- We had entrance exams for freshman OG Pat Elflein and DB Najee Murray.
- A few freshmen are making names for themselves.
- Miller is certainly in the Heisman race right now.
- Bournival also caught up with former middle guard (and wild man) Mark Sullivan, who was quite a character in the late 1970s.
- Big DT Johnathan Hankins is moving up on Mel Kiper's big board.
- The Big Ten bloggers debate: Who is more indispensable: Miller or Denard Robinson?
- Will Jim Tressel come to the 10th anniversary celebration of the national championship team? Just happens to be the Michigan game, by the way. (Plain Dealer)
- How different might Ohio State's history had been if they'd hired Sid Gillman instead of Woody Hayes? (Bob Hunter, Dispatch)
- And the secondary ticket market has really opened up, writes Hunter. Blame the schedule, the economy, and maybe the school's ticket prices. (Dispatch)
- Is the Horseshoe loud enough? (The-Ozone.net)
- It's not much of a statistical sample, but Miller's numbers are even better than other Meyer QBs. (Buckeye Empire)
- It's likely that every football team in the country has guys like former OSU QB Scott McMullen. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- New Ohio State Hall of Famer Bob Knight didn't enjoy winning at Ohio State at first, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- One of the Buckeyes' recruiting targets picked Illinois on Saturday.
- William Buford will play in Spain this season. (Toledo Blade)
The Gang's All Here
Rivalry Week: Michigan-Ohio State
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Purdue Indiana 12:00 PM ET Michigan 6 Ohio State 3:30 PM ET 10 Michigan State Penn State 3:30 PM ET 18 Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Maryland