Across The Field: Finding flaws
September, 16, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
After the Buckeyes' first great escape of the season, it's time for Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio State 35, California 28
- Devin Smith is becoming the go-to guy in big moments, Austin Ward writes.
- Christian Bryant picked a great time for his first career interception.
- Braxton Miller can cover a lot of flaws, writes Brian Bennett.
- It's a win, but it raises some doubts. (SI.com)
- And some flaws, writes Marla Ridenour. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- The Buckeyes had success with the old Tim Tebow jump pass, without much of a jump. (Plain Dealer)
- Blitzing paid off this time, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Judging by the quotes, it almost sounds like a moral victory for Cal. (San Francisco Chronicle)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Brad Bournival traveled to Pennsylvania and talked to OT Dorian Johnson, a former Penn State pledge who has Ohio State in his final three. He also visited WR Robert Foster at his Under Armour jersey presentation.
- Another former PSU pledge looking for a home is athlete Zayd Issah, who is friends with OSU freshman Noah Spence. He'd like to visit.
- 2014 QB Joey Duckworth of Louisville, Ohio, would love to get an OSU offer, and two players from nearby Massillon wouldn't mind, either.
- 2014 RB Mikel Horton was at the Horseshoe on Saturday, and an offer could be coming.
- We're tracking the top 2014 targets at wide receiver and tight end.
- We had entrance exams for freshman OG Pat Elflein and DB Najee Murray.
- A few freshmen are making names for themselves.
- Miller is certainly in the Heisman race right now.
- Bournival also caught up with former middle guard (and wild man) Mark Sullivan, who was quite a character in the late 1970s.
- Big DT Johnathan Hankins is moving up on Mel Kiper's big board.
- The Big Ten bloggers debate: Who is more indispensable: Miller or Denard Robinson?
- Will Jim Tressel come to the 10th anniversary celebration of the national championship team? Just happens to be the Michigan game, by the way. (Plain Dealer)
- How different might Ohio State's history had been if they'd hired Sid Gillman instead of Woody Hayes? (Bob Hunter, Dispatch)
- And the secondary ticket market has really opened up, writes Hunter. Blame the schedule, the economy, and maybe the school's ticket prices. (Dispatch)
- Is the Horseshoe loud enough? (The-Ozone.net)
- It's not much of a statistical sample, but Miller's numbers are even better than other Meyer QBs. (Buckeye Empire)
- It's likely that every football team in the country has guys like former OSU QB Scott McMullen. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- New Ohio State Hall of Famer Bob Knight didn't enjoy winning at Ohio State at first, writes Bill Livingston. (Plain Dealer)
- One of the Buckeyes' recruiting targets picked Illinois on Saturday.
- William Buford will play in Spain this season. (Toledo Blade)
The Gang's All Here
Meyer Depressed At Florida
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27 Final Miami (FL) 31 24 Nebraska 41