Across The Field: Catching fire
September, 2, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 56, Miami 10
- That catch by Devin Smith is going to get lots of play on the highlights shows, and it really gave the offense a jolt against Miami. (Austin Ward)
- Urban Meyer said he hung on to 'Sloopy' a little bit. (Ward)
- Braxton Miller made Meyer's day, writes Tom Archdeacon. (Dayton Daily News)
- Nathan Williams' return was one of the feel-good stories of the opener. (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- Braxton Miller's learning curve is both thrilling and troubling, writes Bill Livingston (Plain Dealer)
- That last play of the first half bugged Urban Meyer a bit. (Dayton Daily News)
- Yes, that was Republican vice-presidential nominee (and Miami grad) Paul Ryan playing cornhole in an Ohio State parking lot on Saturday. (Columbus Dispatch)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The opener showcased the depth on the defensive front, and managing playing time will be an interesting equation, writes Ward.
- There should be big plans for Jake Stoneburner in the offense.
- Brad Bournival caught up with Dr. John Frank, who went from OSU to the NFL to the operating room.
- We finished up our series on 2012 impact players with No. 4 Bradley Roby, No. 3 Johnathan Hankins, No. 2 John Simon and No. 1 Braxton Miller.
- We also had entrance exams for Taylor Decker, David Perkins and Kyle Dodson.
- Devon Allen is rising on teams' lists, and he still likes OSU.
- OSU is still ahead for WR Shelton Gibson, writes Jared Shanker.
- Georgia and Ohio State are in the lead for a top 2014 linebacker.
- Urban Meyer likes "angry" teams -- creating chips on his players' shoulders is a big part of his motivational technique-- and it should serve the Buckeyes well, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The scandal that brought the Tressel era to an end will end up being a positive development, writes Gregg Doyel. (CBS)
- There was a little tiff between the writers and the unversity this week over tweeting during news conferences. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- 2013 pledge Joey Bosa is primed for a big senior season. (Miami Herald)
- The change to semesters has created a new ticket dynamic. (Plain Dealer)
- Remember that Urban Meyer drawing that the Plain Dealer asked its readers to take around the world? (Plain Dealer)
- They didn't take Shelley Meyer along, but perhaps they should have. She's a colorful character. (Dispatch)
- The new video board on the Ohio Stadium scoreboard is cutting edge. (Lantern)
- Marcus Hall was a pleasant surprise to the coaching staff. (Eleven Warriors)
- And former DL Kenny Hayes is headed to Toledo. (Toledo Blade)
- The men's basketball schedule is out, and it looks like a very strong one.
- Here are five crucial Big Ten matchups. (ESPN)
- Expect big things from Deshaun Thomas this season -- he's a Blue Ribbon Preseason All-American. (Lantern)
The Gang's All Here
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35