Across The Field: Catching fire
September, 2, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ohio State 56, Miami 10
- That catch by Devin Smith is going to get lots of play on the highlights shows, and it really gave the offense a jolt against Miami. (Austin Ward)
- Urban Meyer said he hung on to 'Sloopy' a little bit. (Ward)
- Braxton Miller made Meyer's day, writes Tom Archdeacon. (Dayton Daily News)
- Nathan Williams' return was one of the feel-good stories of the opener. (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- Braxton Miller's learning curve is both thrilling and troubling, writes Bill Livingston (Plain Dealer)
- That last play of the first half bugged Urban Meyer a bit. (Dayton Daily News)
- Yes, that was Republican vice-presidential nominee (and Miami grad) Paul Ryan playing cornhole in an Ohio State parking lot on Saturday. (Columbus Dispatch)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The opener showcased the depth on the defensive front, and managing playing time will be an interesting equation, writes Ward.
- There should be big plans for Jake Stoneburner in the offense.
- Brad Bournival caught up with Dr. John Frank, who went from OSU to the NFL to the operating room.
- We finished up our series on 2012 impact players with No. 4 Bradley Roby, No. 3 Johnathan Hankins, No. 2 John Simon and No. 1 Braxton Miller.
- We also had entrance exams for Taylor Decker, David Perkins and Kyle Dodson.
- Devon Allen is rising on teams' lists, and he still likes OSU.
- OSU is still ahead for WR Shelton Gibson, writes Jared Shanker.
- Georgia and Ohio State are in the lead for a top 2014 linebacker.
- Urban Meyer likes "angry" teams -- creating chips on his players' shoulders is a big part of his motivational technique-- and it should serve the Buckeyes well, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The scandal that brought the Tressel era to an end will end up being a positive development, writes Gregg Doyel. (CBS)
- There was a little tiff between the writers and the unversity this week over tweeting during news conferences. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- 2013 pledge Joey Bosa is primed for a big senior season. (Miami Herald)
- The change to semesters has created a new ticket dynamic. (Plain Dealer)
- Remember that Urban Meyer drawing that the Plain Dealer asked its readers to take around the world? (Plain Dealer)
- They didn't take Shelley Meyer along, but perhaps they should have. She's a colorful character. (Dispatch)
- The new video board on the Ohio Stadium scoreboard is cutting edge. (Lantern)
- Marcus Hall was a pleasant surprise to the coaching staff. (Eleven Warriors)
- And former DL Kenny Hayes is headed to Toledo. (Toledo Blade)
- The men's basketball schedule is out, and it looks like a very strong one.
- Here are five crucial Big Ten matchups. (ESPN)
- Expect big things from Deshaun Thomas this season -- he's a Blue Ribbon Preseason All-American. (Lantern)
The Gang's All Here
Did Ohio State Cheap Out On Championship Rings?
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Wisconsin Alabama TBD Stanford Northwestern