Across The Field: Catching fire
September, 2, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
Ohio State 56, Miami 10
- That catch by Devin Smith is going to get lots of play on the highlights shows, and it really gave the offense a jolt against Miami. (Austin Ward)
- Urban Meyer said he hung on to 'Sloopy' a little bit. (Ward)
- Braxton Miller made Meyer's day, writes Tom Archdeacon. (Dayton Daily News)
- Nathan Williams' return was one of the feel-good stories of the opener. (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
- Braxton Miller's learning curve is both thrilling and troubling, writes Bill Livingston (Plain Dealer)
- That last play of the first half bugged Urban Meyer a bit. (Dayton Daily News)
- Yes, that was Republican vice-presidential nominee (and Miami grad) Paul Ryan playing cornhole in an Ohio State parking lot on Saturday. (Columbus Dispatch)
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The opener showcased the depth on the defensive front, and managing playing time will be an interesting equation, writes Ward.
- There should be big plans for Jake Stoneburner in the offense.
- Brad Bournival caught up with Dr. John Frank, who went from OSU to the NFL to the operating room.
- We finished up our series on 2012 impact players with No. 4 Bradley Roby, No. 3 Johnathan Hankins, No. 2 John Simon and No. 1 Braxton Miller.
- We also had entrance exams for Taylor Decker, David Perkins and Kyle Dodson.
- Devon Allen is rising on teams' lists, and he still likes OSU.
- OSU is still ahead for WR Shelton Gibson, writes Jared Shanker.
- Georgia and Ohio State are in the lead for a top 2014 linebacker.
- Urban Meyer likes "angry" teams -- creating chips on his players' shoulders is a big part of his motivational technique-- and it should serve the Buckeyes well, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The scandal that brought the Tressel era to an end will end up being a positive development, writes Gregg Doyel. (CBS)
- There was a little tiff between the writers and the unversity this week over tweeting during news conferences. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- 2013 pledge Joey Bosa is primed for a big senior season. (Miami Herald)
- The change to semesters has created a new ticket dynamic. (Plain Dealer)
- Remember that Urban Meyer drawing that the Plain Dealer asked its readers to take around the world? (Plain Dealer)
- They didn't take Shelley Meyer along, but perhaps they should have. She's a colorful character. (Dispatch)
- The new video board on the Ohio Stadium scoreboard is cutting edge. (Lantern)
- Marcus Hall was a pleasant surprise to the coaching staff. (Eleven Warriors)
- And former DL Kenny Hayes is headed to Toledo. (Toledo Blade)
- The men's basketball schedule is out, and it looks like a very strong one.
- Here are five crucial Big Ten matchups. (ESPN)
- Expect big things from Deshaun Thomas this season -- he's a Blue Ribbon Preseason All-American. (Lantern)