Final countdown: Impact player No. 3
August, 29, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Training camp is over and game preparations have begun. The torture of the offseason is nearly over, and Ohio State's first game under Urban Meyer is closing in. Leading up to the opener against Miami (Ohio), BuckeyeNation will count down the 10 players who figure to have the biggest impact on Meyer's first campaign, hitting the homestretch with the man in the middle of the defensive line.
Zuma Press/Icon SMIJohnathan Hankins is poised for a big junior season.
- POSITION: Defensive tackle
- BASICS: The big man up front is tipping the scales with 322 pounds on his 6-foot-3 frame this fall, but he's lost none of his nimble footwork or quickness as he prepares for a junior season that could make him a first-round draft pick if he elects to head to the NFL early.
- BY THE NUMBERS: Playing on the interior and facing plenty of attention from opposing offensive linemen, Hankins finished fourth in tackles for the Buckeyes last season. He also established himself as a disruptive force in the backfield with 11 takedowns for a loss, which helped start the buzz about his professional prospects as he continues to develop.
- OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT: Hankins will no doubt benefit from the offseason he had to build his strength and improve his conditioning, but the biggest lift might come from the hard work of the guy beside him on the inside. Garrett Goebel's play in training camp has drawn rave reviews from the coaching staff, and Hankins is also aware that the senior's ability to occupy double-teams at nose tackle could free him up to make even more plays this fall.
- HE SAID IT: "You never know when somebody is going to go down and you might need to play one of those spots. With me, I’ve played outside and inside, and just knowing the defense gives you a better edge -- knowing your assignment and what the other guy has to do, gives you a potential edge in the game. Knowing everything is an advantage." -- Hankins, on versatility in the trenches
New ESPN 300 Top 10 Revealed
New ESPN 300 Top 10 Revealed
National recruiting analysts Tom Luginbill and Craig Haubert count down the top 10 recruits in the latest ESPN 300 player rankings update. The complete ESPN 300 will be released April 16.Tags: Tim Settle, CeCe Jefferson, Torrance Gibson, Mitch Hyatt, Terry Beckner Jr., Byron Cowart, Josh Sweat, Kevin Toliver II, Martez Ivey, Trevon Thompson, ESPN 300, RecruitingNation, high school football recruiting, Tom Luginbill, Craig Haubert
BUCKEYENATION RECRUITING NEWS
OSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Ohio State Buckeyes Grey Stripe T-Shirt
2013 Big Ten STANDINGS
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin