Final countdown: Impact player No. 4
August, 28, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Training camp is over and game preparations have begun. The torture of the offseason is nearly over, and Ohio State's first game under Urban Meyer is closing in. Leading up to the opener against Miami (Ohio), BuckeyeNation will count down the 10 players who figure to have the biggest impact on Meyer's first campaign, continuing with a cornerback who is aiming to shut down one side of the field this season.
Richard C. Lewis/Icon SMIBradley Roby is the fastest player on the Buckeyes' roster.
- POSITION: Cornerback
- BASICS: The sophomore apparently locked down his status as the fastest man on the roster by turning in a pair of 40-yard sprints clocked at 4.31 seconds. There shouldn't be anybody on the perimeter the 5-foot-11, 190-pounder can't keep up with in coverage.
- BY THE NUMBERS: Coming off a redshirt season in 2010, Roby tied for the team lead with three interceptions in his first season to make an instant impact in the secondary. He also had 47 tackles, including 3.5 for a loss.
- OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT: The confident cornerback clearly wants the ball in his hands, and he's helpfully offered his services as a wide receiver if the coaching staff needs some help there. The Buckeyes surely appreciate the gesture, but at this point they're trying to get Roby to focus on nabbing as many passes as possible on defense by fine-tuning his technique and becoming a more consistent cover guy. The early reviews have been positive in training camp, and opponents might have to think twice before throwing his way this fall.
- HE SAID IT: "He’s one of those guys who thinks he can fly to the moon also. He’s a talented guy, but we want him to be great at being a corner. To me, he’s still working to do that. Let’s keep him on defense so we can see if we can make him better as a corner. It’s always consistency. He’s a talented guy, but the really good ones and great ones I’ve been around are consistent. I mean, they work and you don’t have to watch them work. They’re always getting better at their craft." -- co-defensive coordinator Everett Withers on Roby's development
BUCKEYENATION RECRUITING NEWS
OSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Ohio State Buckeyes Script Ohio Local Attribute T-shirt
- JoeSports retweeted
- Everett Withers retweeted
2014 Big Ten STANDINGS
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Kent State Illinois TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Stanford Northwestern TBD Wisconsin Alabama