Across The Field: Six days to go
August, 26, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The season is almost here -- at this time next week, we'll be dissecting everything that happened against the Miami RedHawks. One more week of preview material in Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. First, our week in review:
- Urban Meyer loves Ohio State's traditions already, and he wants to add a few more, such as this new pregame routine.
- Our Austin Ward and WolverineNation's Michael Rothstein debated whether this is the start of a new 10 Year War.
- Here's a look ahead at the final two games of the season against Wisconsin and You Know Who.
- Storm Klein is back on the team in what some consider a controversial move, but might have a hard time moving up on the depth chart. Would you have reinstated him?
- Curtis Grant, now the starter at Klein's former middle linebacker spot, had a disappointing freshman season, but is ready for the hype this time around.
- The receivers have come a long way since the spring.
- The five captains are all seniors, and the team has come through camp relatively healthy, although it's hard to keep John Simon out.
- Austin Ward is counting down the 10 players who are most likely to make an impact this season. The first four are Carlos Hyde, Garrett Goebel, the right tackles (we'll have more on that Monday) and Philly Brown.
- By the way, don't miss Austin Ward's weekly chats at 2 p,m. Thursdays. Here's a recap of what they talked about last week.
- Freshman defensive lineman Adolphus Washington is making a bigger impact than anticipated because of a growth spurt.
- Brad Bournival counted down the top 14 targets for 2014: No. 14 to No. 8 and No. 7 to No. 1.
- He also talked to the brother of a Browns cornerback who has some history with Urban Meyer.
- How will Meyer handle the new kickoff rules? He'll avoid the "freaks."
- Brad Bournival is hitting the circuit talking to potential recruits and talked to Donovan Munger, Joe Henderson, Nolan Jackson-Daniel, Greg Claytor and Eric Glover.
- Brad also caught up with Craig Krenzel, who says the championship season is more special to him now than it was then.
- Players in Ohio State's 2013 class had their senior debuts over the weekend.
- Recruits seem to love offensive line coach Ed Warinner.
- And there's no reason to be scared off by the symbol, because we're offering a free trial right now.
- Have some fun ranking the Big Ten teams from 1-12 and the league's best players. (ESPN SportsNation)
- Ohio State is among the teams with the most NFL prospects, writes Mel Kiper Jr. (ESPN)
- The Buckeyes are poised to make a dramatic jump, writes KC Joyner. (ESPN)
- You can buy a Drew Basil replica jersey this year. Nike is making OSU jerseys with eight numbers, the most of any team in the country. It's Nos. 4, 5, 7, 10, 11, 15, 24 and 54. (Plain Dealer)
- The Buckeyes' leadership committee isn't secret, but it's not like it's an open meeting, either. (Lantern)
- An interesting statistical breakdown of what UrbanBall might look like. (Eleven Warriors)
- Grant Edgell knows why you're so amped. (Buckeye Empire)
- Former Buckeye Tom Tupa can collect workman's comp for a football injury, a court ruled. (Plain Dealer)
- Doug Harris' breakdown of the freshmen vying for playing time. (Dayton Daily News)
- If Michael Thomas wants advice, he can call Uncle Keyshawn. (TheOzone.net)
- A redshirt season paid off for offensive lineman Marcus Hall. (Dispatch, $)
- How the change to semesters and having the students in town all season changes things. (Toledo Blade)
- Walk-on defensive end Jason Krause turned down scholarship offers from good programs to walk on at Ohio State. (Dayton Daily News)
- Numbers that matter for Ohio State this season, by Rusty Miller. (AP)
- Two Buckeyes are on the Big Ten Network's list of the best five defensive players of the last five years. (BTN)
- A Yahoo contributor lists his top 10 Ohio State traditions. Wonder if he's actually watched Script Ohio, though: The drum major doesn't dot the i, of course, a sousaphone player does. And the No. 4 tradition started in 1995 -- how could that be ahead of Carmen Ohio? And no "Hang On Sloopy" in the top 10? (Yahoo)
- Columbus is bidding for an NCAA regional in 2015. (Dispatch, $)
- Junior guard Alex Rogers earned a scholarship spot. (Lantern)
- In case you missed it, we had a cool 50 in 50 series that statistically picked the best 50 teams of the last 50 years. Ohio State was No. 15. (ESPN)
- Shooting guard Wayne Selden of Boston has Ohio State in his final six.
The Gang's All Here
College Football Player Rankings: 21-40
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU