Final countdown: Impact player No. 9
August, 23, 2012
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Training camp is over and game preparations have begun. The torture of the offseason is nearly over, and Ohio State's first game under Urban Meyer is closing in. Leading up to the opener against Miami (Ohio), BuckeyeNation will count down the 10 players that figure to have the biggest impact on Meyer's first campaign, continuing with a defensive lineman whose play might produce attention for others more than himself.
- POSITION: Nose tackle
- BASICS: The fifth-year senior is tipping the scales at a trim-looking 285 pounds on his 6-foot-4 frame.
- BY THE NUMBERS: Started every game last season for the Buckeyes up front, chipping in 33 total tackles with a sack and four total takedowns for a loss.
- OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT: Statistically, Goebel isn't likely to catch many eyes. But if the newly-elected captain is able to eat up space and occupy some double-teams next to Johnathan Hankins, that might create plenty of opportunities for head-turning numbers for his teammate. Goebel seemingly goes about his business rather quietly and doesn't generate much publicity, but he's certainly earned the attention of guys in the locker room based on those votes to officially designate him as a leader -- and Hankins certainly knows how important the guy next to him can be in creating a disruptive force on the interior.
- HE SAID IT: "(Goebel) is probably one of our biggest pieces on our defense. He does all the dirty work, he takes up all the double-teams -- even though I take up double-teams, he does more of the dirty work. He's a great leader for us. ... He basically knows the defense, he's smart and knows the plays, so he's a good help for us out there. I feel like I did a lot of my dirty work when I was a freshman and at nose, so he's just getting used to it. He's doing pretty well at it, and whenever I get a chance to play one-technique, I'll do it and give him some rest." -- Hankins
BUCKEYENATION RECRUITING NEWS
OSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Nike Men's Ohio State Buckeyes Script Ohio Local Attribute T-shirt
- Big Ten Conference retweeted
- Kyle Rowland retweeted
- Kyle Rowland retweeted
- Eleven Warriors retweeted
2014 Big Ten STANDINGS
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Kent State Illinois TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Stanford Northwestern TBD Wisconsin Alabama