Big Ten lunchtime links
April, 24, 2014
By Mitch Sherman | ESPN.com
Spring games on the horizon at Michigan State, Rutgers and Iowa. Read all about it:
- Michigan athletic director Dave Brandon and Michigan State’s Mark Hollis weigh in against the unionization of college athletes in advance of the Northwestern vote.
- Big plans and expectations for Michigan State defensive end Demetrius Cooper. Quarterback Connor Cook goes No. 1 in the MSU draft, conducted by players, for the upcoming spring game. And walk-on receiver Matt Macksood has made an impact this spring.
- The MihWolverines might need their defense to carry a big load.
- Penn State has no official position on the return of a Joe Paterno statue to State College. But the school should take a stance on the former coach’s legacy, writes our Josh Moyer.
- Kyle Flood plans to spend more time than in the past involved in the details during Rutgers’ spring game on Saturday. Meanwhile, running back Paul James continues to fight through injuries.
- The Washington Post offers a favorable grade for Maryland football coaching salaries in comparison to the rest of its new league.
- Big raises for Minnesota coordinators Tracy Claeys and Matt Limegrover.
- Jake Rudock strengthens his hold on the starting quarterback job at Iowa.
- Urban Meyer is not an advocate for spring football at Ohio high schools, but he’d like to young players receive an opportunity to spend more time with their coaches in the offseason.
- The band 1984 Draft, its name inspired by a Nebraska fan, help keeps alive the memory of a historic period for the Huskers.
Urban Meyer Pleased With Performance
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final West Virginia 40 Maryland 37 Final Indiana 42 Bowling Green 45 Final Kent State 0 22 Ohio State 66 Final Miami (OH) 10 Michigan 34 Final Iowa State 20 Iowa 17 Final Minnesota 7 TCU 30 Final Illinois 19 Washington 44 Final Purdue 14 11 Notre Dame 30 Final Penn State 13 Rutgers 10 Final Nebraska 55 Fresno State 19