Across The Field: Finding balance
August, 12, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org. First, our BuckeyeNation week in review:
- If you haven't had time to read Wright Thompson's piece for ESPN The Magazine on Urban Meyer's failure to maintain balance in his life during his tenure at Florida and how he plans to change that at Ohio State, it's a must-read.
- Meyer hints that some freshmen will earn playing time, perhaps right away.
- Finishing a series with our colleagues at WolverineNation, and the Buckeyes fared well in the comparisons of defensive linemen, linebackers and secondaries.
- The offense is making progress on picking up the new system, and the defense likes the tempo, too.
- Sophomore defensive lineman Michael Bennett is versatile and looking to break into the starting lineup.
- Linebacker Ryan Shazier was a bright spot at the end of last season, and believes he's a lot better already.
- With practice here, catch Austin Ward's notes after Day 2, Day 3 and Day 6, .
- Ward took an indepth look at the linebackers on the depth chart.
- Storm Klein's attorney filed a motion to dismiss his domestic violence and assault charges.
- 2013 defensive line recruit Billy Price, like many kids in Ohio, was bitten by the Buckeye bug early.
- Offensive line coach Ed Warinner has few complaints about the group so far in camp.
- Brad Bournival caught up with legendary lineman John Hicks in this week's Time & Change.
- Top offensive line recruit Dorian Johnson is on the market again, and the Buckeyes are among his favorites.
- It's been a pretty good summer on the recruiting trail for the Buckeyes.
- The storyline is supposed to be that Urban Meyer recruits nationally. So far, Bournival writes that Meyer is recruiting with pretty much the same blueprint as his predecessor, at least geographically.
- On the recruiting trail, 2014 WR Nate Brown likes the Buckeyes, as does 2014 OT Demetrius Knox of Texas, who is apparently down to the Longhorns and Buckeyes.
- 2013 TE recruit Marcus Baugh finally made a visit for the first day of practice, and loved every minute of it.
- And arecruit committed to Florida still hasn't shut the door on Ohio State, and a Florida WR (Levonte Whitfield) will make his decision soon.
- Luke Fickell says he's happy to return to a coordinator role. (Columbus Dispatch).
- Brian Bennett analyzed the Buckeyes schedule. (ESPN)
- DT Johnathan Hankins is the 18th-best player in the Big Ten, and QB Braxton Miller is No. 19, writes Adam Rittenberg. (ESPN)
- The Buckeyes are the No. 14 team in ESPN's power rankings.
- Former Buckeyes receiver Duron Carter, the son of Cris Carter, officially tranferred to Florida Atlantic..
- For the second year in a row, and perhaps a surprise, OSU students and alumni didn't buy up every ticket available. (Maybe it's because the costs keep going up.) (Columbus Dispatch)
- Here's a real downer: a Yahoo contributor counted down Ohio State's 25 most devastating losses. (Yahoo)
- A former OSU recruit won't get to play at Duke right away. (Raleigh News & Observer)
- Defensive end Nathan Williams is raring to go in his recovery from microfracture surgery. (Toledo Blade)
- Is 12-0 really realistic? (theozone.net)
- Bradley Roby is poised to become the next in line of great OSU corners. (Eleven Warriors)
- A watch list of Buckeyes in NFL camps. (Buckeye Empire)
- Brandon Castel relays five things Urban Meyer can learn from Rich Rodriguez's failure up north. (theozone.net)
- Meyer will be the keynote speaker at the Columbus Chamber of Commerce's annual meeting. (Business First)
- Big Ten Network ranked the best helmets in the conference, and No. 1 is plainly a bad call. (BTN)
- Ex-Buckeye David Lighty will play for a team in France. (Dispatch)
- Ohio State and Duke will have a rematch in the ACC-Big Ten challenge, and this one will be in front of the Cameron Crazies. Circle your calendars for Nov. 28 at 9:30 p.m. (Plain Dealer)
- Here are five offseason storylines and some best case/worst case scenarios for the Big Ten programs (ESPN)
- And the Buckeyes are the fourth-best team in the country according to one publication. (Sporting News)
- And former OSU basketball standout Arnie "Stilts" Risen, an All-Big Ten center in the 1940s, died at age 87. (Plain Dealer)
The Gang's All Here
The latest from Gustin at The Opening
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU