Big Ten lunchtime links
October, 4, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
How bout them Browns?
- OSU coach Urban Meyer admitted that cornerback Bradley Roby "didn't play up to Roby standards" last week, but Meyer and teammates said it's not quite time to hit the panic button. With 19 passing touchdowns through five games, Ohio State is on pace to surpass a school record. Bill Rabinowitz outlines five key factors for the OSU-Northwestern game.
- USA Today's Dan Shanoff outlines how Northwestern evolved from a losing program that dropped all of its conference games in 1993 to where it is today. There's a buzz in Evanston, Ill., and the moniker "biggest game in program history" might just ring true for the Wildcats this weekend. Bob Hunter writes that if this is a top Big Ten game, then that's a problem because this isn't exactly Alabama-LSU.
- Nick Baumgardner looks at five keys for Michigan, including whether Derrick Green might just be the answer for a slumping offense. The Wolverines will change up their offensive line after a shaky start. Jeremy Gallon and Co. don't want Minnesota to walk over to their sideline and take away the Little Brown Jug.
- Former Gophers quarterbacks Adam Weber and Bryan Cupito offer analysis on their alma mater's quarterback situation and say that a rotation is not the answer. Minnesota players, coaches and fans still can't forget their meeting with Michigan back in 2003 when the Wolverines rallied from a three-touchdown deficit in the final quarter to win the game.
- A brown house in Georgia awaits PSU offensive line coach Mac McWhorter when he decides to return to retirement but, for now, he's enjoying his time up north. Bob Flounders reflects on six thoughts about the Nittany Lions in time for their game against Indiana.
- The Hoosiers are looking for their first-ever victory against Penn State. Cornerback Michael Hunter cracked the starting lineup as a true freshman, then redshirted -- and now he's bigger and more physical than ever (subscription).
- Iowa's three wideouts are silencing second-guessers, as each player is bringing something unique to the table -- there's the reliable one, the big-play threat and the physical presence. DT Carl Davis, a Michigan native, still has people upset with him for not playing for the Spartans -- and he's not treating this week just like any other as a result.
- Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said he's considering playing true freshman tailback Delton Williams, who is now listed on the depth chart. Connor Cook worked on his footwork this past week and is preparing for his second road start. Pat Caputo writes that it's time for Michigan State and Michigan to step up and answer questions about their teams -- and that starts with quarterback.
- Redshirt freshman Tommy Armstrong will get the nod at quarterback for Nebraska, as Taylor Martinez will not play due to turf toe. Former walk-on Ron Kellogg III always knew Nebraska was the right fit for him, and now he could play a big role in its success. No recruit is making an official visit for the Cornhuskers this weekend, but the coaching staff isn't panicking.
- Illinois has undoubtedly improved from last season, but Loren Tate writes that the Illini need a defining Big Ten win to take the next step. Illinois' and Nebraska's offensive coordinators have crossed paths before -- about 30 years ago -- and have long since developed a mutual respect. A roundtable discussion centers on whether Nathan Scheelhaase can be consistent this season.
- Purdue's bye week is crucial to turning its season around, not unlike how Darrell Hazell turned around Kent State during his first season there on the bye. Rob Henry is no longer the starting quarterback, but he -- and Sean Robinson -- still deserve a "tip of the cap."
- Football isn't the only important aspect of Jared Abbrederis' life. The Wisconsin wideout also leans a lot on his faith. Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez will be named to the new College Football Playoff Committee, a source told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Ohio State's Toughness
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
14:27 3rd Qtr 15 Arizona State 20 Duke 17 12:37 2nd Qtr Miami (FL) 6 South Carolina 0 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State