Big Ten lunchtime links
August, 23, 2013
By Chantel Jennings | ESPN.com
Ben Affleck as Batman? I have my reservations. I mean, c’mon, Gigli.
- Ohio State DB Najee Murray has left the Buckeyes and is free to transfer. Buckeyes strength coach Mickey Marotti preaches more than just strength through weights. Rusty Miller broke down Ohio State football by the numbers, including the difference between the heaviest and the lightest Buckeyes. Alabama’s Nick Saban and Ohio State’s Urban Meyer have set the standard for college coaches, writes Paul Myerberg.
- Michigan alum Tom Brady stopped by to give the Wolverines a pep talk on Thursday. Brady also made sure to snap a photo with current QB Devin Gardner. Brady Hoke is going to shake things up on offense this season, writes Greg Couch. True freshman QB Shane Morris has won the backup job behind Devin Gardner.
- On Monday, Dantonio will announce the Spartans’ starting QB. MSU has a secret weapon in football recruiting -- its basketball coach, Tom Izzo. Dantonio and the Spartans are at a crossroads in 2013, writes Pat Caputo.
- Nebraska’s stadium addition will push total capacity past 90,000. A season preview from the Chicago Tribune. Before there was Johnny Football there was T-Magic, writes Matt Hinton.
- Northwestern will wear white helmets for its season opener against Cal. A quick look at the Wildcats’ special teams this season.
- Bill O’Brien singles out five Penn State freshmen who could contribute this year. But there's still no QB starter for the Nittany Lions.
- Darrell Hazel has Purdue players going through a 533-page players manual this preseason. Five keys to the season as Hazell attempts to turn the program around.
- IU hopes to end the three-man QB race this weekend.
- Illinois Junior Clayton Fejedelem is quite the acrobat. Memorial Stadium adds bigger video boards for 2013. The questions for the Illinois football team are abundant, writes Loren Tate.
- The Maryland natives on Iowa’s team look forward to a chance to play in their home state at some point. Jim Delany visits Iowa City, talks Ferentz, expansion and more.
- Seven bold predictions for this year’s Gophers team. Minnesota’s webseries “Brick by Brick” is up on YouTube now.
- Episode four of the Badgers' preseason series “The Camp” is now available on YouTube. Wisconsin reveals a new red helmet. Get to know the Badgers' new starters for 2013.
- An open letter from a former Michigan player to Urban Meyer (but, applicable to any coach) about the circle drill and head injuries.
- Forbes.com ranked the top average ticket prices for home games for college programs across the country and Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Iowa and Penn State all made the top 25.
- Some different Big Ten previews: from The Indianapolis Star and the Las Vegas Sun’s Vegas-style preview.
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35