Big Ten lunch links
August, 20, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Game week is rapidly approaching ...
- Everything you need to know about Michigan State's four-man QB race. Spartans RB Riley Bullough tries to catch up after missing part of camp with an upper-body injury. There would be lasting consequences if MSU plays freshman QB Damion Terry, Graham Couch writes.
- Michigan RB Fitzgerald Toussaint looks like his old self in preseason camp. Wolverines LB Jake Ryan continues his speedy recovery from an ACL tear this spring. Paul Myerberg has Michigan at No. 18 in his preseason countdown.
- Penn State coach Bill O'Brien will make his QB decision by week's end. Reaction by Jay Paterno and Dave Joyner to the "Fourth and Long" book. Penn State's lawyer expects 25 of 31 civil claims against the school to settle by the end of the week.
- Ohio State guard Marcus Hall has made atypical improvement in the offseason. Backup QB Kenny Guiton is the Buckeyes' perfect insurance policy, Rob Oller writes. Ohio State CB Doran Grant quietly prepares for a starting role. Some Buckeyes practice notes.
- Wisconsin's quarterbacks capitalized on a shorthanded defense during Monday's scrimmage. No one really misses Bret Bielema in Madison, Dan Wolken writes. Badgers freshman LB Leon Jacobs has been too impressive to redshirt. Coach Gary Andersen's openness with the media and public is a welcome change, Andy Baggot writes.
- Stewart Mandel previews the Big Ten, predicting an Ohio State-Michigan rematch in Indy.
- Former Nebraska QB Joe Ganz embraces his role as a graduate assistant. Tom Dienhart likes the look of the Huskers' young defensive front.
- Indiana's much-maligned defense looks tougher and more physical (subscription required). Previewing the Hoosiers in 2013.
- A good wrap-up of Illinois' session at Camp Rantoul. Illinois freshman QB Aaron Bailey will play in some capacity this season. Illini DE Tim Kynard emerges as a leader for the defensive line.
- Purdue's offense receives a passing grade from coordinator John Shoop. Injuries are starting to add up for the Boilers after their latest scrimmage.
- BTN.com's Brent Yarina reveals his preseason All-Big Ten defensive team.
- Former walk-on LB Aaron Hill has emerged as a leader for Minnesota's defense.
- Breaking down Northwestern's improved special-teams play in 2012. Wildcats coach Pat Fitzgerald was mic'd up during last week's scrimmage.
- A closer look at Iowa's wide receivers this season. Iowa RB Michael Malloy tries to get his career back on track.
Easiest Path To The 2015 College Football Playoff
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD Kent State Illinois TBD Southern Illinois Indiana TBD Illinois State Iowa TBD Richmond Maryland TBD BYU Nebraska TBD Norfolk State Rutgers TBD Penn State Temple TBD Stanford Northwestern TBD Wisconsin Alabama