Big Ten lunch links
August, 20, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
Game week is rapidly approaching ...
- Everything you need to know about Michigan State's four-man QB race. Spartans RB Riley Bullough tries to catch up after missing part of camp with an upper-body injury. There would be lasting consequences if MSU plays freshman QB Damion Terry, Graham Couch writes.
- Michigan RB Fitzgerald Toussaint looks like his old self in preseason camp. Wolverines LB Jake Ryan continues his speedy recovery from an ACL tear this spring. Paul Myerberg has Michigan at No. 18 in his preseason countdown.
- Penn State coach Bill O'Brien will make his QB decision by week's end. Reaction by Jay Paterno and Dave Joyner to the "Fourth and Long" book. Penn State's lawyer expects 25 of 31 civil claims against the school to settle by the end of the week.
- Ohio State guard Marcus Hall has made atypical improvement in the offseason. Backup QB Kenny Guiton is the Buckeyes' perfect insurance policy, Rob Oller writes. Ohio State CB Doran Grant quietly prepares for a starting role. Some Buckeyes practice notes.
- Wisconsin's quarterbacks capitalized on a shorthanded defense during Monday's scrimmage. No one really misses Bret Bielema in Madison, Dan Wolken writes. Badgers freshman LB Leon Jacobs has been too impressive to redshirt. Coach Gary Andersen's openness with the media and public is a welcome change, Andy Baggot writes.
- Stewart Mandel previews the Big Ten, predicting an Ohio State-Michigan rematch in Indy.
- Former Nebraska QB Joe Ganz embraces his role as a graduate assistant. Tom Dienhart likes the look of the Huskers' young defensive front.
- Indiana's much-maligned defense looks tougher and more physical (subscription required). Previewing the Hoosiers in 2013.
- A good wrap-up of Illinois' session at Camp Rantoul. Illinois freshman QB Aaron Bailey will play in some capacity this season. Illini DE Tim Kynard emerges as a leader for the defensive line.
- Purdue's offense receives a passing grade from coordinator John Shoop. Injuries are starting to add up for the Boilers after their latest scrimmage.
- BTN.com's Brent Yarina reveals his preseason All-Big Ten defensive team.
- Former walk-on LB Aaron Hill has emerged as a leader for Minnesota's defense.
- Breaking down Northwestern's improved special-teams play in 2012. Wildcats coach Pat Fitzgerald was mic'd up during last week's scrimmage.
- A closer look at Iowa's wide receivers this season. Iowa RB Michael Malloy tries to get his career back on track.
Meyer Depressed At Florida
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
9:47 3rd Qtr Miami (FL) 14 24 Nebraska 24 Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27