Across The Field: 'Lights,' action
July, 28, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Big Ten media days and Friday Night Lights and so much more. It was a newsworthy week in BuckeyeNation. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- First, the bad news. Four Buckeyes got in trouble last weekend, to varying degrees and with plenty of questions left unanswered. Carlos Hyde is suspended while the Columbus police investigate an incident in a bar. Bradley Roby was arrested in Indiana in a separate bar incident. And two freshmen (Tim Gardner and Marcus Baugh) are in trouble as well, with Gardner being sent home. He will not be on the 2013 team.
- It was a tough few days for Urban Meyer, who was "furious" about the incidents. It put Meyer's disciplinary history in the spotlight. But he's not worried about outside criticism, writes Austin Ward.
- Ward was part of a live blog with the Big Ten bloggers and fellow team sites writers in Chicago on Wednesday and Thursday.
- The second Friday Night Lights camp took place at Ohio Stadium on Friday, with some top 2015 talents showing well. Brad Bournival learned quite a lot, and we'll have plenty more in the next few days.
- The best matchup at the camp could possibly have been Damon Webb vs. Eric Glover-Williams. Both raved about the other following the event.
- Cleveland Benedictine's Jerome Baker played like a star under the lights.
- Before Friday Night Lights, Bournival recapped five highlights from 2012, provided five things to watch and profiled the visitors in three parts (here's one, two and three).
- OSU pledge Marcelys Jones set the record straight on his trip to Alabama with his Glenville teammates.
- One of them, ESPN 300 safety Erick Smith, is taking his recruitment day by day. He and Marshon Lattimore are planning an official visit to Alabama for its game against LSU.
- Juco offensive lineman Jermaine Eluemunor was committed to UCLA, but he decommitted and considered Ohio State (and visited) before picking Arkansas.
- Perhaps that puts OT Brian Wallace higher on their board, who loved his OSU visit.
- Four-star athlete Malik Hooker has Ohio State in his top five.
- Ohio State is the leader for Sparta (N.J.) four-star athlete Noah Brown.
- Bournival wrapped up the summer in this week's Tuesday Top 10 feature.
- 2015 RB Chris Warren III visited, and followed the rules about that school up north.
- Bournival listed the top five wide receivers on Ohio State's board and put committed WR Terry McLaurin in the spotlight.
- McLaurin is one of a quartet of wide receivers putting Indianapolis on the map, writes Jared Shanker.
- At Big Ten media days, Braxton Miller said trophies can wait.
- Ward took a look at who could be darkhorses for national honors.
- The Buckeyes "will talk about" what Devin Gardner said on a radio show.
- Michigan coach Brady Hoke made a very classy move.
- At media days, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany outlined potential changes he'd like to see in the NCAA.
- Big Ten writers picked Ohio State to win the conference.
- A Columbus police spokesman believes some reporting in the Carlos Hyde case has been "reckless." (Plain Dealer)
- Meyer believes the success of the 2012 team was all about leadership, and is doing what he can to replicate that, writes Bill Rabinowitz. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes need leaders like they had back in 1968, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- LeBron James is a favorite leadership figure to Meyer, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Does Meyer deserve his reputation as a coach who has disciplinary flaws? (SI.com)
- In a way, Meyer has made his bed with comments from his past, writes Dan Wetzel. (Yahoo)
- The message on the wall at the Woody Hayes Center obviously isn't resonating with some, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes' offensive line can be a really special one in 2013, writes Rabinowitz. (Dispatch)
- It can only happen this year: Two Ohio State-Michigan games? (Plain Dealer)
- Freshman Dontre Wilson is wowing his teammates this summer. (Plain Dealer)
- Rising sophomore Amadeo Della Valle was the MVP in the 2013 FIBA U20 European Championship. (Eleven Warriors)
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State wrestling recruit Nathan Tomasello is a three-time national champion.
The Unknown Of Cardale Jones
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State