Across The Field: 'Lights,' action
July, 28, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Big Ten media days and Friday Night Lights and so much more. It was a newsworthy week in BuckeyeNation. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- First, the bad news. Four Buckeyes got in trouble last weekend, to varying degrees and with plenty of questions left unanswered. Carlos Hyde is suspended while the Columbus police investigate an incident in a bar. Bradley Roby was arrested in Indiana in a separate bar incident. And two freshmen (Tim Gardner and Marcus Baugh) are in trouble as well, with Gardner being sent home. He will not be on the 2013 team.
- It was a tough few days for Urban Meyer, who was "furious" about the incidents. It put Meyer's disciplinary history in the spotlight. But he's not worried about outside criticism, writes Austin Ward.
- Ward was part of a live blog with the Big Ten bloggers and fellow team sites writers in Chicago on Wednesday and Thursday.
- The second Friday Night Lights camp took place at Ohio Stadium on Friday, with some top 2015 talents showing well. Brad Bournival learned quite a lot, and we'll have plenty more in the next few days.
- The best matchup at the camp could possibly have been Damon Webb vs. Eric Glover-Williams. Both raved about the other following the event.
- Cleveland Benedictine's Jerome Baker played like a star under the lights.
- Before Friday Night Lights, Bournival recapped five highlights from 2012, provided five things to watch and profiled the visitors in three parts (here's one, two and three).
- OSU pledge Marcelys Jones set the record straight on his trip to Alabama with his Glenville teammates.
- One of them, ESPN 300 safety Erick Smith, is taking his recruitment day by day. He and Marshon Lattimore are planning an official visit to Alabama for its game against LSU.
- Juco offensive lineman Jermaine Eluemunor was committed to UCLA, but he decommitted and considered Ohio State (and visited) before picking Arkansas.
- Perhaps that puts OT Brian Wallace higher on their board, who loved his OSU visit.
- Four-star athlete Malik Hooker has Ohio State in his top five.
- Ohio State is the leader for Sparta (N.J.) four-star athlete Noah Brown.
- Bournival wrapped up the summer in this week's Tuesday Top 10 feature.
- 2015 RB Chris Warren III visited, and followed the rules about that school up north.
- Bournival listed the top five wide receivers on Ohio State's board and put committed WR Terry McLaurin in the spotlight.
- McLaurin is one of a quartet of wide receivers putting Indianapolis on the map, writes Jared Shanker.
- At Big Ten media days, Braxton Miller said trophies can wait.
- Ward took a look at who could be darkhorses for national honors.
- The Buckeyes "will talk about" what Devin Gardner said on a radio show.
- Michigan coach Brady Hoke made a very classy move.
- At media days, Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany outlined potential changes he'd like to see in the NCAA.
- Big Ten writers picked Ohio State to win the conference.
- A Columbus police spokesman believes some reporting in the Carlos Hyde case has been "reckless." (Plain Dealer)
- Meyer believes the success of the 2012 team was all about leadership, and is doing what he can to replicate that, writes Bill Rabinowitz. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes need leaders like they had back in 1968, writes Rob Oller. (Dispatch)
- LeBron James is a favorite leadership figure to Meyer, writes Doug Lesmerises. (Plain Dealer)
- Does Meyer deserve his reputation as a coach who has disciplinary flaws? (SI.com)
- In a way, Meyer has made his bed with comments from his past, writes Dan Wetzel. (Yahoo)
- The message on the wall at the Woody Hayes Center obviously isn't resonating with some, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes' offensive line can be a really special one in 2013, writes Rabinowitz. (Dispatch)
- It can only happen this year: Two Ohio State-Michigan games? (Plain Dealer)
- Freshman Dontre Wilson is wowing his teammates this summer. (Plain Dealer)
- Rising sophomore Amadeo Della Valle was the MVP in the 2013 FIBA U20 European Championship. (Eleven Warriors)
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State wrestling recruit Nathan Tomasello is a three-time national champion.
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35