Awards watch: Linsley listed by Rimington
July, 9, 2013
By Austin Ward | ESPN.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The wait is almost over. The season is finally creeping up again, and the annual release of preseason watch lists for the biggest awards in college football confirms it -- and helps provide a useful distraction during the final month leading up to the start of training camp. BuckeyeNation will be tracking all the Ohio State players being tracked by the various committees and will be handicapping their odds of bringing a few trophies back to campus along the way.
Jim Owens/Icon SMIOhio State center Corey Linsley made a rapid progression to become a key member of the Buckeyes' line.
- What: The nation's best center
- On the list: Ohio State senior Corey Linsley
- Credentials: Just barely more than a year ago Linsley was only starting his transition to a new position and leaving a little room for uncertainty for the Buckeyes at one of the most important, but often overlooked, spots on the field. A steady season later, the senior is one of the most critical cogs in the offense, a respected voice in the locker room, a relentless worker and a reliable snapper who helps keep the program moving forward in virtually every way possible. Linsley wasn't perfect a year ago, though the bad snaps could be counted on one hand and perhaps a slight decline in his play at the end of the perfect season could be chalked up to a painful foot issue that ultimately required surgery and kept him out of action during spring ball. Even without those workouts, the Buckeyes have complete faith in Linsley to continue triggering the attack -- and build on a productive first season at center before wrapping up his career with the Buckeyes.
- Head to head: There will be one showcase opportunity against another center currently being watched by the committee, Brandon Vitabile of Northwestern.
- Odds: Given the volume of credit Urban Meyer and the Ohio State coaching staff doles out to the offensive line in general and often to Linsley in particular, Linsley is likely to be a recognizable name on the ballot all season long. And if the Buckeyes shift the attack into an even higher gear and remain in contention for a shot in the national championship game, Linsley's chances of becoming a finalist or even a possible winner will only go up.
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35