Across The Field: After The Opening
July, 7, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Nine Buckeyes commits and several other targets were in Oregon this past week at The Opening. Who impressed and who didn't? This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Urban Meyer defended himself after criticism relating to the Aaron Hernandez arrest and the coach's time at Florida.
- The Buckeyes are suddenly in the top two for one of the top receivers in the country, Johnnie Dixon of Palm Beach (Fla.) Dwyer.
- Offensive lineman Demetrius Knox heard a lot from the OSU commits at The Opening.
- One of those doing the talking was Damon Webb, who was looking forward to getting together with the fellow future Buckeyes.
- Quarterback commit Stephen Collier didn't make the Elite 11 finals, but he was just looking forward to learning.
- Linebacker pledge Kyle Berger passed the scouts' eye test.
- Uncommitted defensive end Solomon Thomas loved the community feel in an OSU visit.
- The Buckeyes are in the final six for ESPN 300 safety Jamal Adams of Texas.
- Jared Shanker ranked the positions of need for this class.
- Perhaps linebacker should move to No. 1 after Luke Roberts' transfer request was accepted.
- Roberts' exit (to Harvard) could mean the Buckeyes need another linebacker.
- Raekwon McMillan is part of the post-Opening #BlueChipBattles. It's looking like a fight to the bitter end for the five-star LB.
- Ten players whose stock rose and five who slipped (including one OSU commit) at The Opening.
- One player who seemed to rise was WR Terry McLaurin, who felt he had something to prove and finished second out of all 162 prospects in the SPARQ combine.
- WR Christian Kirk of Arizona, one of the top players in the 2015 class, is planning a visit.
- Philly Brown is on the watch list for the Paul Hornung Award.
- Somebody at Ohio State reported Florida for a minor recruiting violation, and Meyer's role in that is a thorny issue in the Sunshine State, writes Chris Low.
- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Meyer will hold a safety clinic at Ohio State on Aug. 1.
- Urban Meyer expanded on his thoughts on Aaron Hernandez to Tim May. (Dispatch)
- Carlos Hyde is motivated to become Meyer's first 1,000-yard running back. (Dispatch)
- Maurice Clarett, trying to begin a rugby career, talks about his journey. (Plain Dealer)
- Luke Roberts talks about why he's headed to Harvard. (Lantern)
- Meyer's family defended him on Twitter about the Hernandez situation, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- Meyer said backup QB Kenny Guiton is wearing a splint after an injury to his throwing hand, but should be fine for camp. (News-Herald)
- Hawaii and Ohio State are talking about scheduling a game in 2015 in Columbus. (Honolulu Star Advertiser)
- A Cincinnati Elder receiver Joe Ramstetter is going to Ohio State as a preferred walk-on. (Cincinnati.com)
- The new uniforms have hit retail stores, and they have buckeye leaves on the collar. (Eleven Warriors)
- Franklin, Ohio, shooting guard Luke Kennard, a 2015 prospect, is gaining quite a following.
- Myles Turner, the No. 10 overall prospect in the 2014 class, has Ohio State on his early list.
- Greg Paulus was promoted to assistant coach and Jake Diebler, the brother of former OSU guard Jon Diebler, was hired as video coordinator. (OSU)
- The full nonconference schedule was announced. (Plain Dealer)
The Gang's All Here
- Eastern Michigan hired Ohio State associate athletic director Heather Lyke as its new AD. (Canton Repository)
College Football Minute
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU