Across The Field: 'Opening' bell
June, 30, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Fourteen recruits are committed and nine of them are at The Opening. That's quite a percentage. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The 2014 class is filling fast, up to 14 with the commitment of Jamarco Jones, the eighth-ranked offensive tackle in the ESPN 300, and wide receiver Terry McLaurin, who is a three-star recruit but still earned an invitation to The Opening. How? Check out that highlight video for evidence of his elite speed.
- Jones has been recruited by the Buckeyes for a long time and has big-time upside, writes Craig Haubert.
- The Buckeyes are moving up in the recruiting rankings.
- The Opening starts Monday in Oregon, with nine Buckeyes commits -- the most of any school -- in attendance. Here's some Ohio State storylines, matchups to watch and the full roster.
- Assistant coach Mike Vrabel isn't far removed from his NFL career, and that makes an impact on the field and off, writes Austin Ward.
- Across the ESPN team sites, we came up with criteria for a champion. Ward looks at how the Buckeyes measure up.
- Ward's Leaving a Legacy series on the seniors that kicked off with Carlos Hyde, C.J. Barnett, Philly Brown, Christian Bryant and Jack Mewhort.
- Ohio State runners of the future might not look as much like Hyde, writes Brad Bournival.
- Jared Shanker ranked the top 10 instant impact recruits for Ohio State for 2014.
- No. 8 defensive tackle Thomas Holley is just getting started with recruiting trips.
- WR Lonnie Johnson can't wait to compete with his fellow Ohio State pledges.
- Adam Rittenberg made the case for Braxton Miller and the Heisman.
- There will be three California bowl games in the Big Ten's future.
- In this week's B1G Official Visit, Tom VanHaaren talked about Ohio State's QB pledge, Stephen Collier.
- Austin Ward chatted with fans in SportsNation.
- Did you catch what Michigan QB Devin Gardner said?
- Former Buckeyes DT Johnathan Hankins begs to differ. (Plain Dealer)
- Urban Meyer is more relaxed before his second season. (Dispatch)
- Meyer's "Real Life Wednesdays" are proving to be worthwhile, preparing the players for life after football. (Lantern)
- Should fans worry that Meyer's teams historically commit more penalties? Somewhat surprisingly, not really. (Eleven Warriors)
- Meyer confirmed that Australian punter Cameron Johnston has signed. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- Can the Buckeyes be better than perfect? That's tough. (The-Ozone.net)
- Kyle Trout, one of the Buckeyes' recruits at The Opening, is an active recruiter. (Lancaster Eagle Gazette)
- Se'Von Pittman's new college home: Akron. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit to Buckeyes fans: 'Make plans now' for Pasadena. (Columbus Business First)
- Deshaun Thomas made it seven NBA drafts in a row that a Buckeye was drafted, but just barely. He was the second-round pick of the San Antonio Spurs. (Indianapolis Star)
- Why isn't Aaron Craft trying to make the U.S. team in the World University Games? Schoolwork, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State ranked third among the B1G schools in the Directors' Cup standings.
Week 1: Take Your Pick
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU