Across The Field: 'Opening' bell
June, 30, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Fourteen recruits are committed and nine of them are at The Opening. That's quite a percentage. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The 2014 class is filling fast, up to 14 with the commitment of Jamarco Jones, the eighth-ranked offensive tackle in the ESPN 300, and wide receiver Terry McLaurin, who is a three-star recruit but still earned an invitation to The Opening. How? Check out that highlight video for evidence of his elite speed.
- Jones has been recruited by the Buckeyes for a long time and has big-time upside, writes Craig Haubert.
- The Buckeyes are moving up in the recruiting rankings.
- The Opening starts Monday in Oregon, with nine Buckeyes commits -- the most of any school -- in attendance. Here's some Ohio State storylines, matchups to watch and the full roster.
- Assistant coach Mike Vrabel isn't far removed from his NFL career, and that makes an impact on the field and off, writes Austin Ward.
- Across the ESPN team sites, we came up with criteria for a champion. Ward looks at how the Buckeyes measure up.
- Ward's Leaving a Legacy series on the seniors that kicked off with Carlos Hyde, C.J. Barnett, Philly Brown, Christian Bryant and Jack Mewhort.
- Ohio State runners of the future might not look as much like Hyde, writes Brad Bournival.
- Jared Shanker ranked the top 10 instant impact recruits for Ohio State for 2014.
- No. 8 defensive tackle Thomas Holley is just getting started with recruiting trips.
- WR Lonnie Johnson can't wait to compete with his fellow Ohio State pledges.
- Adam Rittenberg made the case for Braxton Miller and the Heisman.
- There will be three California bowl games in the Big Ten's future.
- In this week's B1G Official Visit, Tom VanHaaren talked about Ohio State's QB pledge, Stephen Collier.
- Austin Ward chatted with fans in SportsNation.
- Did you catch what Michigan QB Devin Gardner said?
- Former Buckeyes DT Johnathan Hankins begs to differ. (Plain Dealer)
- Urban Meyer is more relaxed before his second season. (Dispatch)
- Meyer's "Real Life Wednesdays" are proving to be worthwhile, preparing the players for life after football. (Lantern)
- Should fans worry that Meyer's teams historically commit more penalties? Somewhat surprisingly, not really. (Eleven Warriors)
- Meyer confirmed that Australian punter Cameron Johnston has signed. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- Can the Buckeyes be better than perfect? That's tough. (The-Ozone.net)
- Kyle Trout, one of the Buckeyes' recruits at The Opening, is an active recruiter. (Lancaster Eagle Gazette)
- Se'Von Pittman's new college home: Akron. (Akron Beacon Journal)
- ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit to Buckeyes fans: 'Make plans now' for Pasadena. (Columbus Business First)
- Deshaun Thomas made it seven NBA drafts in a row that a Buckeye was drafted, but just barely. He was the second-round pick of the San Antonio Spurs. (Indianapolis Star)
- Why isn't Aaron Craft trying to make the U.S. team in the World University Games? Schoolwork, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State ranked third among the B1G schools in the Directors' Cup standings.
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35