Across The Field: Here's the kicker
June, 16, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
The camp season means recruiting is ramping up, and the Buckeyes are in the mix for a lot of big-time prospects. Ohio State also had one commit at a needed position. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- The Buckeyes have their kicker in the 2014 class.
- We'll find out Sunday night if the Buckeyes have done enough to land Cincinnati LaSalle WR Derek Kief.
- Brad Bournival covered Ohio State's senior advanced camp last Sunday, full of big names, plenty of underclassman offers and lessons learned.
- So some school up north is No. 1 in the class rankings right now. But would you rather start fast or finish fast, as Urban Meyer does?
- Chantel Jennings documented ESPN 150 athlete Marshon Lattimore's rapid rise.
- Bournival talked about Lattimore and the 2014 class in this week's B1G Official Visit.
- Brad Bournival talked to OSU pledge Kyle Trout about his goals and gave the first nine players in the class some labels.
- Ohio State is chasing some big-time linemen. But the Buckeyes didn't get one big juco prospect.
- No-nonsense ESPN 150 OL Braden Smith keeps a distant perspective to recruiting, but the Buckeyes are still in contact.
- The No. 3 safety in the country has Ohio State in his top six.
- The Buckeyes lead for a coveted RB from New Jersey, and a Texas RB calls Ohio State and LSU his two favorites.
- Four-star athlete Kiy Hester of New Jersey grew up a Buckeyes fan and is planning a visit.
- DT Poona Ford isn't a prototype at defensive tackle, but he has high-end strength and speed.
- The grandson of a former OSU player got an offer.
- A group of Cleveland-area prospects have a friendly food wager over their growing list of offers, writes Bournival.
- A Kansas tight end made a visit on his way to a camp in Florida.
- Four-star WR Jalen Brown of Arizona visited on a Midwest swing.
- In the 2015 class, top running back prospect Jacques Patrick of Florida loved his Ohio State visit and plans to return. He also visited a school up north.
- 2015 defensive back Minkah Fitzpatrick has the work ethic coaches love, writes Josh Moyer.
- Bournival profiled 2015 prospect DE Hjalte Froholdt, an in-state player via Denmark.
- A Tennessee prospect grew up a big Ohio State fan.
- Phil Steele believes Ohio State has the nation's second-best quarterback group and the 15th-best running back group.
- In this week's mailbag, Bournival tackles (what else) the quarterback recruiting situation, Glenville athletes and linemen.
- Who will be Ohio State's X-factor?
- Ohio State's APR scores are on the upswing and now are among the best in the country. (Dispatch)
- The Big Ten as a whole is solid in APR, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- Offensive coordinator Tom Herman is a rising star in the coaching ranks. (CBS)
- Bruce Feldman conducted a wide-ranging interview with Buckeyes behind-the-scenes strength guru Mickey Marotti. (CBS)
- Coach Coop will be in the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame class. (Dispatch)
- What appears to be an artifact from the memorabilia scandal ended up on eBay and sold for $18,000. (CBS)
- Through a public records request, the Lantern obtained the performance reviews of Ohio State assistant coaches.
- Eleven Warriors grades the Buckeyes' assistant coaches in recruiting.
- Maurice Clarett will address the NFL rookie symposium, an event he didn't pay much attention to eight years ago. (FoxSportsOhio.com)
- Former Buckeyes receiver Ray Small was indicted on drugs and weapons charges. (Dispatch)
- Athlon believes Ohio Stadium is the best in the Big Ten.
- The team ratings and player ratings are out for the NCAA Football 2014 video game. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- Thad Matta has a great 2014 recruiting class forming that's second in the initial ESPN class rankings.
- It's official: Chris Jent is headed back to the NBA as the top assistant in Sacramento. (Dispatch)
- The Buckeyes will play Ohio in hoops for the first time in 19 years. (No word if Rufus the Bobcat will be invited. But Brutus should be on guard.) (Dispatch)
- The late Charlie Coles assembled quite a coaching staff at Miami of Ohio, including Matta. (Sporting News)
The Gang's All Here
Saban vs. Meyer
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State