Across The Field: Gee out, camps in
June, 9, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Ohio State is looking for a new president. Gordon Gee was a definite friend to the athletic department, but afflicted it with his ill-conceived jokes.
- The Columbus NFTC was last weekend, and our staff was in their in force, compiling a Top 10 list, learning plenty of lessons and checking out top underclassmen.
- The star of the camp was Da'Shawn Hand, the top-ranked defensive end in the 2014 class who visited Ohio State and has several more planned.
- Now the focus shifts to the important team camps, and Ohio State is hosting its first of the summer season today. Brad Bournival counts down his five stories to watch from the senior advanced camp, which has a great list of campers.
- Urban Meyer has been a master in his second seasons, writes Austin Ward.
- With David Perkins leaving the program, it does open up a scholarship.
- With Kyle Allen committing to Texas A&M, the attention turns to Brandon Harris as Ohio State continues its QB quest for 2014.
- Or maybe it's Florida QB Zack Darlington? Or, if they offer, DeShone Kizer?
- Buckeyes DE pledge Dylan Thompson was among the most impressive prospects at the NFTC Columbus.
- Linebacker pledge Dante Booker can't wait to play with his classmates in Columbus.
- Who could get an offer from the camp? Perhaps Clayton (Ohio) Northmont DE Terry Ramsey.
- An ESPN 150 defensive end from Texas is making an unofficial visit this week.
- An AP history class had a hidden message to Buckeyes target Jamarco Jones, writes Chantel Jennings.
- Four-star WR Derek Kief of Cincinnati LaSalle is planning more visits.
- He's a bit under the radar because of injury, but don't forget about RB Myles Autry, another Georgian with an offer.
- A Fairfield (Ohio) lineman would like an Ohio State offer.
- 2015 prospect George Brown Jr. believes he found his future position as some camps down South.
- 2015 QB Kyler Murray has Ohio State in his top five.
- A 2015 defensive tackle prospect tagged along with Hand and has an Ohio State offer as well.
- Were the Buckeyes that much worse than their record last year?
- Bournival hit the road to see more recruits.
- Bournival preaches patience in this week's mailbag.
- Ohio State's next punter could be from Australia, writes Bill Rabinowitz. (Dispatch)
- Start times have been set for the first two games, both on the ESPN family of networks. (Plain Dealer)
- A first look at an artist rendering of the next Ohio Stadium expansion. (Eleven Warriors)
- Athlon has made its 2013 predictions.
- Coaches and athletic officials' reactions to Gee's retirement. (Lantern)
- And yes, that is Tim Tebow inside the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. (Eleven Warriors)
- Ohio State has an Academic Progress Rate in the top 10 percent of all FBS programs. The others in the Big Ten: Northwestern and Wisconsin. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- Not insider.
- Ohio State's 2014 class is looking fantastic so far. Shooting guard D'Angelo Russell of Louisville, Ky., ranked No. 24 in the ESPN 60, committed to Ohio State. The Buckeyes have four commits in the class already, and three of them are in the ESPN 60.
- The Buckeyes get a grade for their 2013 recruiting class from Reggie Rankin.
- Alum and assistant coach Chris Jent looks to be heading back to the NBA. (Land Grant Holy Land)
The Gang's All Here
OSU Pulls Away From Navy
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Eastern Illinois 20 Minnesota 42 Final Rutgers 41 Washington State 38
Final Penn State 26 UCF 24 Final Youngstown State 17 Illinois 28 Final Indiana State 10 Indiana 28 Final Northern Iowa 23 Iowa 31 Final Appalachian State 14 Michigan 52 Final 5 Ohio State 34 Navy 17 Final Western Michigan 34 Purdue 43 Final Florida Atlantic 7 22 Nebraska 55 Final California 31 Northwestern 24 Final James Madison 7 Maryland 52 Final 14 Wisconsin 24 13 LSU 28