- Brad Bournival, RecruitingNation
So what's this Friday Night Lights camp all about for Urban Meyer and the Buckeyes? Prospects will flock to Ohio State with hopes of grabbing an offer or with intentions of shaving their lists down after the camp.
There could likely be a commitment as well as hopefuls look to impress the coaching staff.
Here are five angles to look for at Friday’s event at the Horseshoe:
1. Will Tyquan Lewis commit? Lewis came to Ohio State in June looking to grab a committable offer. He got it. Now, he’s back in Columbus, but he’s bringing his mother with him this time. Lewis (Tarboro, N.C./Tarboro) has said Friday is all about mom as he’s trying to look into the educational aspect of Ohio State. Bringing his mother proves he’s very serious about the Buckeyes. If they can show him and his mom it’s a perfect fit, the 6-foot-3, 225-pound hybrid defensive end/linebacker just might end up at Ohio State.
2. What impact will Billy Price and other 2013 Ohio State commits have on campers? Price (Youngstown, Ohio/Austintown Fitch) tweeted last week that he “can't wait until Friday [because] I’ve got a job to do.” He and other commits have made it very clear they intend to use FNL as a platform to get on their soap boxes and hype what Ohio State has to offer. The Meyer brand goes a long way on its own. With recruits already in the fold hyping Ohio State, it could square up some commitments not only for 2013, but 2014 as well.
3. A linebacker, please? So much has been made about Ohio State’s lack of a linebacker in the class of 2013 so far. The 2014 talent in Columbus will be strong, however, as Raekwon McMillan (Hinesville, Ga./Liberty), Clifton Garrett (Plainfield, Ill./Plainfield) and Dante Booker (Akron, Ohio/St. Vincent-St. Mary) have plans to be there.
4. Can DeShone Kizer pick up that offer? Kizer (Toledo, Ohio/Central Catholic) has drawn rave reviews and has offers from Illinois, Louisville and Syracuse already. The 2014 dual-threat quarterback fits Ohio State’s scheme and has the interest of Meyer and Co. Will Kizer pick up the offer he’s looking for?
5. Core 6 impact? Garrett isn’t the only high-profile player coming from Core 6 Athletes (a training/recruiting firm based in Illinois) as offensive tackle Jamarco Jones (Chicago/De La Salle Institute) will make the trip as well. Core 6 has made an impact at many camps this summer. Will it continue the tradition?
4dDan Murphy and Austin Ward