Across The Field: More to offer
May, 5, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
We wrapped up the spring and cast a net for a 2014 quarterback. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- As part of the Big Ten Blog's package wrapping up spring ball, Austin Ward wrapped up the Buckeyes' efforts.
- Brian Bennett handicapped the 2013 B1G race. The Buckeyes expect the secondary to lead the way, Bennett writes.
- Brian Fremeau of Football Outsiders projected the 2013 Big Ten standings.
- Austin Ward continued a series on players whose stock rose this spring, specifically CB Doran Grant, LB Curtis Grant, DE Noah Spence and CB Tyvis Powell.
- Ryan Shazier played hurt in the second half of the 2012 season, but his production actually improved.
- The Buckeyes will have three prime-time games on ESPN/ABC in 2013, two at home.
- OSU signee Dontre Wilson is one of 15 players whom Travis Haney believes could be a breakout star. Haney writes that Ohio State is also Alabama's top challenger in 2013.
- A look at the Big Ten schools' recruiting at the quarter pole of the 2014 cycle.
- Finally, three more quarterbacks received Ohio State offers: ESPN 150 prospect Kyle Allen of Arizona, four-star Louisiana QB Brandon Harris and four-star Florida QB Zack Darlington.
- Brad Bournival took an early look on how the Buckeyes could round out the 2014 class.
- Buckeyes OL target Jermaine Eluemunor has come a very long way since 2009, writes Josh Moyer.
- ESPN 150 WR Saeed Blacknall of New Jersey has the Buckeyes and LSU as his top two, and he hasn't even visited yet.
- ESPN 150 RB Joe Mixon is still wide open, and the Buckeyes are part of that equation.
- Safety Quincy Wilson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is anxious to see what Ohio State has to offer.
- The updated top five athletes, top five linebackers and top five defensive ends on Ohio State's board.
- Can Ohio State land five linebackers in this truncated class? The short answer: Yes.
- A sophomore DT from Florida received a late-night offer, as did a 2015 DE from Minnesota.
- Ohio State is among the schools sticking out to 2015 athlete Eric Glover-Williams of Canton (Ohio) McKinley.
- Those controversial recruiting proposals were thrown out.
- Adam Rittenberg talked to B1G commissioner Jim Delany about realignment.
- ESPN's Brock Huard believes in Braxton Miller's pro potential.
- Bournival was a guest on this week's B1G Official Visit.
- Ward chats with fans every Thursday at 2 p.m. ET in SportsNation. Here's this week's archive.
- In this week's mailbag, Bournival answers questions about 2014 quarterbacks, Ohio State's perceived slow start in recruiting and which QB in the class is best for the Buckeyes.
- Urban Meyer sees some drawbacks in the new playoff system. (Dispatch)
- More night games on the schedule appears inevitable, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- Now in prime time, that Northwestern road game on Oct. 5 is looking huge. (The-Ozone.net)
- Eleven Warriors had a lengthy Q&A with AD Gene Smith on the new divisions, scheduling and more.
- New York Giants DT Johnathan Hankins doesn't impress on first glance, says Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell, but he will over time. (New York Post)
- Jim Tressel played in a charity basketball game outside Youngstown that was put on by Maurice Clarett. (Eleven Warriors, with photo)
- And Saturday night was Jim Tressel bobblehead night in Akron. (CBS)
- New Big Ten bowl tie-ins seem likely. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- A new football-related business is coming to Columbus: Home rentals for game weekends. (Plain Dealer)
- The Buckeyes finished at No. 37 in the 2013 ESPN recruiting class rankings. Of course, they had only two scholarship spots available.
- Aaron Craft isn't on Twitter. But his roommates are picking up the slack. (Twitter)
- Amber Stokes signed with the San Antonio Silver Stars of the WNBA. (OSU)
The Gang's All Here
- Sunday is graduation day at Ohio State, with a ton of extra security measures because of the speaker. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State's baseball team has a solid bullpen, led by a deceptive closer. (Dispatch)
- Katie Borchers broke her own school record in the 800. (OSU)
- The men's lacrosse team won in the ECAC tournament for the first time. (Lantern)
New ESPN 300 Top 10 Revealed
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin