Across The Field: More to offer
May, 5, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
We wrapped up the spring and cast a net for a 2014 quarterback. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- As part of the Big Ten Blog's package wrapping up spring ball, Austin Ward wrapped up the Buckeyes' efforts.
- Brian Bennett handicapped the 2013 B1G race. The Buckeyes expect the secondary to lead the way, Bennett writes.
- Brian Fremeau of Football Outsiders projected the 2013 Big Ten standings.
- Austin Ward continued a series on players whose stock rose this spring, specifically CB Doran Grant, LB Curtis Grant, DE Noah Spence and CB Tyvis Powell.
- Ryan Shazier played hurt in the second half of the 2012 season, but his production actually improved.
- The Buckeyes will have three prime-time games on ESPN/ABC in 2013, two at home.
- OSU signee Dontre Wilson is one of 15 players whom Travis Haney believes could be a breakout star. Haney writes that Ohio State is also Alabama's top challenger in 2013.
- A look at the Big Ten schools' recruiting at the quarter pole of the 2014 cycle.
- Finally, three more quarterbacks received Ohio State offers: ESPN 150 prospect Kyle Allen of Arizona, four-star Louisiana QB Brandon Harris and four-star Florida QB Zack Darlington.
- Brad Bournival took an early look on how the Buckeyes could round out the 2014 class.
- Buckeyes OL target Jermaine Eluemunor has come a very long way since 2009, writes Josh Moyer.
- ESPN 150 WR Saeed Blacknall of New Jersey has the Buckeyes and LSU as his top two, and he hasn't even visited yet.
- ESPN 150 RB Joe Mixon is still wide open, and the Buckeyes are part of that equation.
- Safety Quincy Wilson of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., is anxious to see what Ohio State has to offer.
- The updated top five athletes, top five linebackers and top five defensive ends on Ohio State's board.
- Can Ohio State land five linebackers in this truncated class? The short answer: Yes.
- A sophomore DT from Florida received a late-night offer, as did a 2015 DE from Minnesota.
- Ohio State is among the schools sticking out to 2015 athlete Eric Glover-Williams of Canton (Ohio) McKinley.
- Those controversial recruiting proposals were thrown out.
- Adam Rittenberg talked to B1G commissioner Jim Delany about realignment.
- ESPN's Brock Huard believes in Braxton Miller's pro potential.
- Bournival was a guest on this week's B1G Official Visit.
- Ward chats with fans every Thursday at 2 p.m. ET in SportsNation. Here's this week's archive.
- In this week's mailbag, Bournival answers questions about 2014 quarterbacks, Ohio State's perceived slow start in recruiting and which QB in the class is best for the Buckeyes.
- Urban Meyer sees some drawbacks in the new playoff system. (Dispatch)
- More night games on the schedule appears inevitable, writes Bob Hunter. (Dispatch)
- Now in prime time, that Northwestern road game on Oct. 5 is looking huge. (The-Ozone.net)
- Eleven Warriors had a lengthy Q&A with AD Gene Smith on the new divisions, scheduling and more.
- New York Giants DT Johnathan Hankins doesn't impress on first glance, says Ohio State co-defensive coordinator Luke Fickell, but he will over time. (New York Post)
- Jim Tressel played in a charity basketball game outside Youngstown that was put on by Maurice Clarett. (Eleven Warriors, with photo)
- And Saturday night was Jim Tressel bobblehead night in Akron. (CBS)
- New Big Ten bowl tie-ins seem likely. (Land Grant Holy Land)
- A new football-related business is coming to Columbus: Home rentals for game weekends. (Plain Dealer)
- The Buckeyes finished at No. 37 in the 2013 ESPN recruiting class rankings. Of course, they had only two scholarship spots available.
- Aaron Craft isn't on Twitter. But his roommates are picking up the slack. (Twitter)
- Amber Stokes signed with the San Antonio Silver Stars of the WNBA. (OSU)
The Gang's All Here
- Sunday is graduation day at Ohio State, with a ton of extra security measures because of the speaker. (Plain Dealer)
- Ohio State's baseball team has a solid bullpen, led by a deceptive closer. (Dispatch)
- Katie Borchers broke her own school record in the 800. (OSU)
- The men's lacrosse team won in the ECAC tournament for the first time. (Lantern)
College Football Player Rankings: 21-40
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU