Across The Field: Tough week
April, 28, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Just one draft pick in the first two days of the draft and athletes committing elsewhere. The Ohio State football program has had better weeks, for sure -- but all is not lost. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Johnathan Hankins was the first Buckeye off the board in the draft, as expected, going to the New York Giants in the second round.
- Other Buckeyes drafted? John Simon to the Baltimore Ravens, Reid Fragel to the Cincinnati Bengals.
- The buzz is building for Simon's replacement at defensive end: Adolphus Washington.
- Austin Ward counted down players on offense whose stock rose in spring practice: Jeff Heuerman, Brionte Dunn and Warren Ball, Michael Thomas, Rod Smith and Chris Fields.
- Who will be the next to commit to Ohio State? Brad Bournival has a top-five list.
- But you can't win them all. Bournival counted down five players Ohio State wants but likely won't get.
- Some bad news on the QB recruiting front: Deshaun Watson says he's all in for Clemson.
- The Buckeyes seem to have struck out on their top tight end choices, too.
- Reading between the lines, it seems Elijah Hood is likely staying home in North Carolina, but he's still considering OSU.
- Feeling down about this class all of a sudden? Don't. It's way too early.
- ESPN 150 offensive lineman Demetrius Knox, a Columbus native who visited a couple months ago, decommited from Texas.
- ESPN 150 WR Demarre Kitt is still within the Buckeyes' grasp.
- ESPN 150 receiver Artavis Scott says he will consider leaving Florida for school.
- 2013 signee Ezekiel Elliott hasn't stopped recruiting potential teammates, either.
- Bournival relayed his list of the top five running backs on Ohio State's list.
- A top 2015 running back is planning an Ohio State visit.
- Cornerback Jabrill Peppers, No. 2 in the ESPN 150, is looking at a July decision.
- The Buckeyes offered two more Georgia prospects, a 2015 running back from Cleveland Benedictine, a speedy 2015 cornerback from New Jersey and a 2015 linebacker from Texas,
- Brian Bennett and Adam Rittenberg conducted their own draft of current Big Ten players, with Braxton Miller the obvious No. 1.
- This week's mailbag answers questions about the 2014 receivers, the class size, defensive linemen, Northeast Ohio and basketball recruiting.
- Depth is much less of a concern this year after spring practice. (Dispatch)
- So the Buckeyes are deficient at punter. How often do Urban Meyer's teams punt anyway? (Eleven Warriors)
- Etienne Sabino is just looking for an NFL shot. (Dispatch)
- The SEC dominates the draft these days. But historically, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame have had the most players drafted. (Plain Dealer)
- John Havlicek is selling his championship rings, including one he won with the Buckeyes' last national championship team.
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State is 15th in the Directors' Cup standings. (OSU)
- Want to only buy your products from Ohio State-related sources? It might be easier than you think. (Buckeye Empire)
- An OSU junor is the NCAA pommel horse champion. (OSU)
- The men's tennis team won its eight consecutive Big Ten title. (Lantern)
- Ohio State hired one if its assistants as the new head men's hockey coach. (Lantern)
- Lacrosse star Logan Schuss is a finalist for national player of the year. (OSU)
- Framing the best OSU sports moments of 2012-13. (Lantern)
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35