Across The Field: Tough week
April, 28, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Just one draft pick in the first two days of the draft and athletes committing elsewhere. The Ohio State football program has had better weeks, for sure -- but all is not lost. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Johnathan Hankins was the first Buckeye off the board in the draft, as expected, going to the New York Giants in the second round.
- Other Buckeyes drafted? John Simon to the Baltimore Ravens, Reid Fragel to the Cincinnati Bengals.
- The buzz is building for Simon's replacement at defensive end: Adolphus Washington.
- Austin Ward counted down players on offense whose stock rose in spring practice: Jeff Heuerman, Brionte Dunn and Warren Ball, Michael Thomas, Rod Smith and Chris Fields.
- Who will be the next to commit to Ohio State? Brad Bournival has a top-five list.
- But you can't win them all. Bournival counted down five players Ohio State wants but likely won't get.
- Some bad news on the QB recruiting front: Deshaun Watson says he's all in for Clemson.
- The Buckeyes seem to have struck out on their top tight end choices, too.
- Reading between the lines, it seems Elijah Hood is likely staying home in North Carolina, but he's still considering OSU.
- Feeling down about this class all of a sudden? Don't. It's way too early.
- ESPN 150 offensive lineman Demetrius Knox, a Columbus native who visited a couple months ago, decommited from Texas.
- ESPN 150 WR Demarre Kitt is still within the Buckeyes' grasp.
- ESPN 150 receiver Artavis Scott says he will consider leaving Florida for school.
- 2013 signee Ezekiel Elliott hasn't stopped recruiting potential teammates, either.
- Bournival relayed his list of the top five running backs on Ohio State's list.
- A top 2015 running back is planning an Ohio State visit.
- Cornerback Jabrill Peppers, No. 2 in the ESPN 150, is looking at a July decision.
- The Buckeyes offered two more Georgia prospects, a 2015 running back from Cleveland Benedictine, a speedy 2015 cornerback from New Jersey and a 2015 linebacker from Texas,
- Brian Bennett and Adam Rittenberg conducted their own draft of current Big Ten players, with Braxton Miller the obvious No. 1.
- This week's mailbag answers questions about the 2014 receivers, the class size, defensive linemen, Northeast Ohio and basketball recruiting.
- Depth is much less of a concern this year after spring practice. (Dispatch)
- So the Buckeyes are deficient at punter. How often do Urban Meyer's teams punt anyway? (Eleven Warriors)
- Etienne Sabino is just looking for an NFL shot. (Dispatch)
- The SEC dominates the draft these days. But historically, Ohio State, USC and Notre Dame have had the most players drafted. (Plain Dealer)
- John Havlicek is selling his championship rings, including one he won with the Buckeyes' last national championship team.
The Gang's All Here
- Ohio State is 15th in the Directors' Cup standings. (OSU)
- Want to only buy your products from Ohio State-related sources? It might be easier than you think. (Buckeye Empire)
- An OSU junor is the NCAA pommel horse champion. (OSU)
- The men's tennis team won its eight consecutive Big Ten title. (Lantern)
- Ohio State hired one if its assistants as the new head men's hockey coach. (Lantern)
- Lacrosse star Logan Schuss is a finalist for national player of the year. (OSU)
- Framing the best OSU sports moments of 2012-13. (Lantern)
Scene and Heard: Top 10 Predictions
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
TBD California Northwestern TBD Indiana State Indiana TBD Jacksonville State Michigan State TBD Appalachian State Michigan TBD Florida Atlantic Nebraska TBD Youngstown State Illinois TBD Northern Iowa Iowa TBD Ohio State Navy TBD Western Michigan Purdue 8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 9:00 PM ET LSU Wisconsin