Across The Field: Getting a little faster
July, 22, 2012
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Welcome to Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com. First, as always, our week in review:
- The Buckeyes made a spash with a four-star receiver committing in Taivon Jacobs of Forestville, Md.
- His highlight video shows that his speed definitely translates to the field.
- Jacobs' coaches rave about his work ethic, and our scouts think he could be a real sleeper.
- There's probably room for one more receiver in the 2013 class.
- Offensive coordinator Tom Herman will only evalulate Braxton Miller with a few key statistics.
- Future OSU quarterback J.T. Barrett competed in the Elite 11 camp this week, and he said he's already getting ready for the transition to life in Columbus.
- Fellow 2013 recruit Jayme Thompson of Toledo credits martial arts with his fast development.
- Brad Bournival caught up with one of my favorite Buckeyes from childhood, receiver Mike Lanese.
- Austin Ward analyzed the depth chart at receiver and tight end.
- We looked ahead to the Nebraska game, which should be a fun one. It's the only home night game, and it's the Huskers' first visit in more than 50 years.
- Big Ten blogger Adam Rittenberg believes Ohio Stadium is the best venue in the conference. But we all knew that already.
- Brian Bennett ranked the position units at wide receiver and tight end in the league, and the quarterbacks, too.
- The awards watch lists kept on coming, and they all have Buckeyes on them. The Lombardi (Jonathan Hankins, John Simon, Jake Stoneburner), Doak Walker (Jordan Hall), the Davey O'Brien (Miller), the Biletnikoff (Philly Brown), the Butkus (Etienne Sabino) and the Good Works team (Ben Buchanan).
- North Carolina defensive end/linebacker Tyquan Lewis was offered by the Buckeyes , as was a Michigan commitment out of U-M pipeline school Cass Tech.
- ESPN 100 power forward Devin Williams of Cincinnati got an offer from Thad Matta. He'll play this season in Florida.
- And we had fun playing with the Buckeyes on NCAA Football 2013 with Eddie George and Desmond Howard. But which one was better?
- Eddie George was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame on Saturday night.
- One of George's teammates at OSU was Butler By'note', who is now a minister. (Dispatch)
- Not playing for a title this season is still a little tough to imagine, but the grief is gradually being replaced. (Eleven Warriors)
- Duron Carter would be a senior this fall if he had stayed eligible at Ohio State. He never made it on the field at Alabama for the same reason. Now it looks like he's headed to Florida Atlantic. (Palm Beach Post).
- Eleven Warriors uncovered an interesting recruiting letter that Penn State sent out to recruits a couple years ago. (Eleven Warriors)
- Mike Vrabel is becoming a force in recruiting. (The-Ozone.net)
- Vrabel is also one of a class of 10 to be inducted into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame. (Lantern)
- Zach Smith took to the road to give a speech to high school players in Perrysburg. (Blade)
- There might be some off-site practices this August as well. (Lantern)
- We'd advise Urban Meyer to not relay this fact to recruits in the Cleveland area. (Palm Beach Post)
- Big Ten media days are this week, and ESPNU and BTN will provide coverage. As will BuckeyeNation, of course. (OSU)
- Bob Knight is going into the Ohio State Athletics Hall of Fame. Not as a player, but as a lifetime achievement award. Interesting choice, to say the least. (Dispatch)
- Not quite the same, but Randy Ayers is headed to a Hall of Fame, too. The Ohio Basketball Hall of Fame.
- Women's basketball coach Jim Foster will be inducted into the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame. (Dispatch)
- Jon Diebler's rights were traded to the Houston Rockets. (Dispatch)
- William Buford wishes he had a do-over in the lead-up to the draft. (Blade)
The Gang's All Here
Braxton Miller, Ohio State Begin Spring Drills
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35