Across The Field: Spring wrap
April, 14, 2013
By Scott Kendrick | ESPN.com
Spring practice is done, basketball is done. But fear not: Recruiting never ends for the Buckeyes. This is Across The Field, a regular feature on BuckeyeNation where we point you to noteworthy Buckeyes coverage here and elsewhere. Think something should be included? Send it to email@example.com.
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
BuckeyeNation Week in Review
- Braxton Miller showed off his passing skills in the spring game in Cincinnati, writes Austin Ward.
- And the defensive line should be just fine as long as Noah Spence and Adolphus Washington are around.
- The Buckeyes added to their 2014 recruiting class last week, as Cleveland St. Ignatius linebacker Kyle Berger made the call, giving the Buckeyes linebacker No. 2 in three days, and a championship attitude.
- Wide receiver Michael Thomas was the star of the 2012 spring game -- and put up some numbers again on Saturday -- but fall didn't go quite as well as hoped.
- Ohio State's offense looks to dominate in 2013, writes Brian Bennett.
- Brad Bournival wonders if the Buckeyes missed a recruiting opportunity by moving the spring game to Cincinnati.
- Safety C.J. Barnett and linebacker Ryan Shazier talked to Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett during his Columbus visit. .
- Tight end Jeff Heuerman has an NFL-ready physique and a playful side, Ward writes.
- Spence looks ready to make a big leap in his first offseason at Ohio State.
- Washington will also try to fill a big void on the defensive line, writes Adam Rittenberg.
- Wide receivers flocked to visit for the spring game.
- Last week, top Georgia prospect Demarre Kitt was impressed. So was North Carolina prospect Trevion Thompson.
- WR Chris Godwin of Middletown, Del., loved his visit a few weeks ago.
- Cleveland Glenville athlete Marshon Lattimore seems to have the Buckeyes as a favorite, but he'll make some other visits.
- Top target Drake Harris made his first visit to Ohio State and met with the president, too.
- Jabrill Peppers of New Jersey has the Buckeyes squarely in his top group after an impressive visit.
- Deshaun Watson, still the only QB that Ohio State has offered, won the Atlanta Elite 11 qualifier and plans to make an official visit.
- Kyler Murray of Allen, Texas, has an offer and could be Ohio State's top QB target in 2015.
- And returning to 2014, perhaps a Louisiana dual-threat QB could get an offer down the line.
- The LEO position is important in Ohio State's defense, and there are plenty of 2014 targets who could fit the bill.
- A look at the top five defensive ends on Ohio State's 2014 wish list.
- Clifton Garrett seemed to have Ohio State on top earlier, and they're still in the running, but Garrett noticed that OSU already has two linebackers in the 2014 class.
- Linebacker Chase Wionvich got a "dream come true" with an Ohio State offer.
- Louisiana safety Mattrell McGraw has an Ohio State offer, one of his 30 so far. A recent offer has an Illinois defensive lineman planning a visit, too.
- Yet another Georgia prospect received an offer.
- A top New Jersey tight end has the Buckeyes in his final four.
- Shaker Heights defensive end Joe Henderson is hoping for a big offer.
- ESPN Watch List defensive end Solomon Thomas is still "wide open."
- Bournival answered questions in this week's mailbag about how Ohio State's focus outside Ohio affects other schools, along with other recruiting topics.
- The Buckeyes received rings for their 12-0 season. (Plain Dealer)
- Cornerbacks coach Kerry Coombs lives by the mantra, "fearlessly be yourself." (Plain Dealer)
- There was another circle drill in Cincinnati. (Dispatch video)
- New vision training is a part of the high-tech Ohio State weight room. (Plain Dealer)
- The wounds are healing for Jim Tressel and Ohio State. (Lantern)
- Even without Deshaun Thomas, big things are expected of the Buckeyes next season.
- Thomas, now training in Indianapolis, believes he's a first-rounder. (Dispatch)
The Gang's All Here
- Hockey goalie Brady Hjelle was named a first-team All-American. (OSU)
- Lacrosse player Logan Shuss is close to the Buckeyes' career goal record. (Lantern).
- A freshman already holds the school record in the javelin. (OSU)
- And Brutus was fine after that hit in practice last Saturday, a video that went viral. (Plain Dealer)
College Football Minute
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET 5 Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 12:05 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic 22 Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU