Pac-12 Week 13: Did you know?
November, 22, 2013
By Ted Miller | ESPN.com
Some notes to get you through the hours until Saturday. Thanks to ESPN Stats & Information for many of these numbers.
- Oregon QB Marcus Mariota has an FBS-high 93.0 opponent-adjusted QBR. That is on pace to be the third-highest mark in the last 10 seasons after Andrew Luck (94.5 in 2010) and Russell Wilson (94.2 in 2011).
- Mariota has improved his completion percentage on passes of 15 yards or longer by more than 16 percentage points since last season. He is complete 58.1 percent of such passes compared to 42 percent last year.
- On zone-read plays, Arizona (157.6) and Oregon (154.6) average the most rushing yards per game among AQ schools. Arizona’s Ka'Deem Carey leads all AQ players with 843 yards and nine touchdowns with the zone read.
- Carey leads the FBS in rushes (545), rushing yards (3,282) and rushing touchdowns (35) since the start of last season. He has gained an AQ-high 1,511 yards after contact during that time.
- Oregon is averaging 6.8 yards per designed rush, third best among AQ schools. The Ducks average 4.4 yards before contact on such rushes, best in the Pac-12.
- Arizona State RB Marion Grice has 10 touchdowns rushing outside the tackles, tied for the most among AQ running backs with Washington’s Bishop Sankey and Boston College’s Andre Williams. Grice has had 46 fewer such rushes than Sankey and 65 fewer than Williams.
- Arizona State has an AQ-high 40 sacks when bringing five or more pass rushers since the start of last season.
- Despite ranking three spots below UCLA in the BCS Standings, Arizona State is the fifth-ranked team in Championship Drive Rating, six spots higher than UCLA. The Sun Devils’ strength of schedule ranks ninth this season.
- UCLA's Myles Jack, a converted linebacker, has five rushing touchdowns in his last two games, including four last week against Washington. On average, there have been at least nine defenders in the box on Jack’s rushes, the most for any AQ player.
- Jack has gained 134 of his 179 rushing yards after contact this season, the highest percentage (75 percent) for an AQ running back with at least 100 yards.
- UCLA QB Brett Hundley has 687 rushing yards on scrambles since the start of last season, second most by an AQ quarterback behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel (1,268).
- Since the start of last season, Hundley is completing 73.1 percent of his passes after a play action, second among AQ quarterbacks (min. 100 attempts). His 22 touchdowns on such passes are tied for third most among AQ quarterbacks with Oregon State’s Sean Mannion.
- Stanford QB Kevin Hogan is completing 48.4 percent of his passes thrown 25 yards or longer this season, an increase of 18 percentage points from last season. Hogan had at least one completion on a pass of this distance in every game this season until he failed to complete a pass on three such attempts against USC last week.
- California has allowed 79 plays of 20 yards or longer, most in the FBS.
- Since the start of last season, Stanford has an FBS-high 89 sacks, including 65 when they send four or fewer pass rushers, 15 more such sacks than any other AQ program. California has allowed 57 sacks against standard pressure during that time, tied for the most for an AQ school with Washington State.
- USC’s quarterbacks have a 72.3 opponent-adjusted QBR with Ed Orgeron as their interim head coach after posting a 37.4 opponent-adjusted QBR in their first five games with Lane Kiffin.
- On passes thrown 20 yards or longer, USC WR Marqise Lee has three receptions on 17 targets, including an AQ-high five drops.
- USC ranks in the top two in the Pac-12 in most major defensive categories this season. As a result, the Trojans rank 14th in the FBS in defensive efficiency after ranking 36th last season.
- Oregon State ranks second in the nation in passing with 396.3 yards per game. Washington ranks 16th in the nation in pass efficiency defense.
- Washington RB Bishop Sankey enters the week as the nation's No. 4 rusher with 139.6 yards per game. He also ranks No. 6 in the nation in rushing touchdowns with 14, and his 32 career rushing TDs are third in UW history, just three shy of Napoleon Kaufman's record.
- Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks leads the nation in receiving with 144.3 yards per game. His 14 TD receptions are second in the nation.
- Washington State needs one victory over its final two games to become bowl eligible. Utah needs to win their final two.
- The Cougars rank last in the nation in rushing with just 57.0 yards per game, eight fewer than the next worst team.
- In the NCAA rankings, Utah is tied for the second-toughest schedule in the country with Tennessee. The combined FBS record of Utah's 10 opponents to date is 55-21 (.724).
- Utah leads the nation in total sacks (36) and sacks per game (3.60). Despite no running game and 577 pass attempts, second most in the Pac-12, the Cougars have yielded only 22 sacks.
College Football Minute
7:30 PM ET Idaho State Utah 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State 10:30 PM ET Weber State 19 Arizona State
9:00 PM ET Colorado State Colorado 10:30 PM ET UNLV Arizona
12:00 PM ET 7 UCLA Virginia 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 4:00 PM ET Portland State Oregon State 4:00 PM ET UC Davis 11 Stanford 7:30 PM ET Fresno State 15 USC 10:30 PM ET 25 Washington Hawaii 10:30 PM ET South Dakota 3 Oregon