Oklahoma Sooners: Jimmay Mundine
October, 18, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
Another week of great tidbits and numbers thanks to ESPN Stats and Information along with sports information departments around the conference. Did you know …
- Baylor is looking to become bowl-eligible for the fourth straight season for the first time in school history.
- Baylor is looking to start 6-0 for the first time since 1980 and the sixth time in school history.
- Baylor is the highest ranked Big 12 team in both the AP and Coaches Poll for the first time ever.
- Baylor joins Florida State as the only two teams in the nation that are top 5 in total offense and top 25 in total defense.
- The Bears starting offense has scored touchdowns on 35 of 48 drives (72.9 percent) this season.
- Baylor’s defense has forced two or more turnovers in nine of its last 12 games.
- Baylor leads the nation in total offense (715.4 yards per game) and scoring offense (63.4 points per game).
- Baylor’s Bryce Petty leads the nation in Raw QBR at 94.5, yards per attempt (14.87) and yards per completion (21.27).
- Baylor’s Lache Seastrunk leads the nation in yards per carry at 9.97. He leads the Big 12 with 648 rushing yards despite ranking seventh in total carries (65).
- Baylor’s Antwan Goodley leads the nation with 26.76 yards per reception. His 669 receiving yards lead the Big 12.
- Baylor’s 9.38 yards per play is a full yard better than anyone else in the nation. Florida State’s 8.27 yards per play is second nationally.
- Baylor averages 17 yards per pass attempt on third down and 9.91 yards per third down play. Both marks lead the nation.
- Iowa State has yet to lose by double digits, averaging 5.5 points per game margin of defeat in its four losses.
- ISU ranks second in the Big 12 and 13th nationally in turnover margin at 1.2.
- The Cyclones have seen 20 different players earn their first career start this season.
- ISU gave up more than 40 points for the first time in 24 games during its 42-35 loss to Texas Tech last week.
- Sam Richardson has a touchdown pass in eight straight games, tying him for the third longest streak in school history.
- Richardson’s 10 touchdown passes puts him second in the Big 12 behind Petty.
- Oklahoma defensive end Geneo Grissom and Kansas linebacker Ben Heeney won two Kansas state championships together at Hutchinson (Kan.) High School.
- Kansas has stopped every opponent from scoring on its opening drive this season, limiting those teams to three first downs through five games.
- Jayhawks tight end Jimmay Mundine has a touchdown reception in three straight games, the longest streak since Dezmon Briscoe’s three-game streak in 2009 for the Jayhawks.
- The Jayhawks’ pass defense has been overlooked by KU’s offensive troubles. KU allowed 5.91 yards per pass attempt, ranking third in the Big 12 this season and 15th nationally.
- Kansas State quarterback Daniel Sams leads Big 12 quarterbacks in rushes (86), rushing yards (522) and rushing touchdowns (7).
- Sams ranks No. 7 nationally in adjusted QBR (which takes into account level of competition) at 86.8. He’s second in the Big 12 in the category behind Petty.
- Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops has never lost in a game immediately after the Red River Rivalry. He’s looking to improve to 15-0 in that scenario against KU.
- The Sooners have won 20 straight games after a regular season loss since 2004.
- OU has won 29 straight games when allowing 21 points or fewer.
- OU has held KU to 17 points or less in eight of its nine victories over the Jayhawks under Stoops.
- The Sooners lead the Big 12 in points allowed per game (16.8), yards allowed per game (308.8), passing yards allowed per game (172), yards allowed per pass attempt (5.55) and first downs allowed per game (15.5).
- Beginning in 2011, Oklahoma State is 14-1 in its last 15 home games.
- The Cowboys have won 20 straight home games against unranked opponents.
- OSU has a touchdown drive of two minutes or less in 27 straight games.
- OSU will host TCU for the second straight season because the Horned Frogs inherited Texas A&M’s conference schedule after joining the league and the Aggies were scheduled to face the Cowboys in Stillwater in 2012 and 2013 after OSU agreed to move the 2011 game from Stillwater to College Station.
- OSU has 71 players from Texas, more than any other program outside of the state of Texas.
- OSU ranks second nationally in turnovers forced since 2009 (142). Only Oregon has forced more turnovers during that span (147).
- OSU has ranked no lower than 19th nationally in fewest sacks allowed each season since 2006.
- OSU quarterback J.W. Walsh ranks third in adjusted QBR at 74.4 behind Petty and Texas’ David Ash.
- The Cowboys defense leads the conference in opponent adjusted QBR at 19.0.
- OSU ranks No. 2 in the Big 12 in rushing yards allowed at 115.8 and yards per carry allowed at 3.16.
- Longhorns running back Johnathan Gray leads the conference in total carries with 111 and ranks second in rushing yards (562) behind Seastrunk.
- OSU is the fourth ranked opponent TCU will face in its first seven games.
- Saturday marks the fourth time TCU will kickoff at 11 a.m. this season. The Horned Frogs are 5-1 in early starts in the past two seasons.
- Over 40 percent of the players who have seen action for the Horned Frogs this season are sophomores.
- TCU has scored more points in the third quarter (58) and fourth quarter (65) than in the first half combined (44) this season.
- Wyoming transfer Josh Doctson is the only active player in the nation who has scored a touchdown against his current team. Doctson had a touchdown catch for the Cowboys against TCU in 2011.
- TCU’s 100 receptions have been divided among 15 different receivers.
- Texas Tech will play in the eastern time zone for the first time since 2008 when they face West Virginia in Morgantown, W. Va., on Saturday. The Red Raiders defeated Virginia 31-28 in the Gator Bowl on New Year’s Day in 2008.
- The Red Raiders have never played at Milan Puskar Stadium and this is just the third meeting between the two schools, first in Morgantown.
- For the first time in school history, the Red Raiders ran at least 100 plays for two straight games. Tech had 100 offensive plays against Kansas and 101 against Iowa State.
- Texas Tech leads the Big 12 in third down conversion defense, allowing just 28.2 percent of third down conversion attempts. The Red Raiders also led in rush defense, allowing 113.2 rushing yards per game.
- TTU is bowl eligible for the 20th time in 21 seasons. The Red Raiders are one of 11 teams nationally that have already secured bowl eligibility.
- TTU forced 11 Iowa State punts, the most by an opponent against the Red Raiders in Big 12 play.
- Davis Webb is the sixth Red Raider quarterback to throw for more than 400 yards in his first career start. He passed for 415 yards in TTU’s 42-35 win over ISU last weekend.
- West Virginia is 7-3 under Dana Holgorsen when the Mountaineers have more than seven days to prepare. WVU had a bye last weekend.
- TTU leads the Big 12 in yards per play allowed on third down at 3.66 and points allowed per drive at 0.99.